Author Topic: NHS is useless  (Read 3733 times)

Offline omgninja

• Posting Member
Some of you may have read my thread already, if you haven't i will briefly explain; I have had gynecomastia since i was about 10 (now 19) I have never been overweight. I decided to seek treatment through the NHS about 6 or 7 months ago, first i went to see my GP who referred me to a consultant at an NHS hospital, in the mean time i had blood tests. the consultant then sent me for an ultra sound scan and tried to talk me out of the idea of surgery (he really annoyed me and was quite rude). I then had the ultra sound several weeks later, the doctor who gave it me was really nice and understanding, he also said the surgery would be the nest option. I then waited a few weeks  to see the consultant once again, which i have just returned from. I waited for an hour and a half to see him and when i did he said that it has gone down by a lot since he last saw me, which i personally disagree with. (i go to the gym weight training quite a lot, about 4 times a week so any fat that was there is almost all gone.) He then tried to talk me out of the idea of surgery once again saying about the scars and the long healing process which i said i didn't mind. he responded by ensuring me i would need two operations as the can only operate on one side at a time and i would need to let the other side fully heal before they operated on the other, which i nearly laughed at him for saying. At this point i was ready to walk out, i really had had enough of him and he came out with the idea of me continuing going to the gym and come back in 6 months to see if it has "cleared up". looks like I'm not going to get surgery without going bankrupt in the process.

oh and he had the nerve to say that he was prepared to give me surgery when he first saw me but now now since i have toned up. If anyone wants to see the pictures of when he was prepared to give me surgery; http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=13237.15

all in all use the time you spend trying to get surgery on the NHS working to get money to go private.

Offline Blue2

• Silver Member
Sounds like a familiar story! They are just not interested unless you have it really bad. Looks like a bit of saving up is going to be the order of the day mate. You defo have gyne which is evident although I would say it is pretty much all gland as you are of a very low body fat %.
Surgery: 18/03/08
Plastic surgeon: Alex Karidis

GynO_DuDe

The same story as me then ... Wasted 2 f*ck!ng years of mine giving me bullsh!t and receiving letters about the surgeon being on holiday the pr!ck so in the end I just spunked 4 grand going private.

Offline kingboob

Sounds like a familiar story! They are just not interested unless you have it really bad. Looks like a bit of saving up is going to be the order of the day mate. You defo have gyne which is evident although I would say it is pretty much all gland as you are of a very low body fat %.

Correction:   They are not interested.  Full stop.   

Doesn't matter how bad you have it,   if you have one of the poor GP's and you live in an area where the policy is sh1te, you are screwed.

Don't tell me there isn't a post code lottery Mr. Brown.

Offline omgninja

• Posting Member
Agree with all of you, the thing that pisses me off more is idiots who get operations on the NHS for things that they have done to thier body themselves. Its not any of our faults we have gynecomastia! Anyway I have come across a bit of i crazy choice i need to make.

I know i will never be able to raise the 4 gs any time in the next 3 years and i don't want to miss out on the last years of being young and free ect...

I have the opportunity to get the operation for free at the moment but this means getting broadcast on national television, I am in a total predicament and don't know what to do. I don't want people to recognise me in the street, or my friends to see it!! but i really need the operation.

Offline Toby1971

• Posting Member
Have you tried saying you'll do it if they blur out your face/disguise your voice?

Offline omgninja

• Posting Member
I doubt they would let me have it then, I will just have to save up like everyone else. Hopefully i will have the money before i go to uni though

Offline newmanby30

• Posting Member
I feel really bad for you, this is terrible.... it seems the postcode lottery is right - I have been very lucky through NHS - the whole process took less than 6 months from the first time I mentioned it to my GP.... I had my operation on May 9th and am totally blown away by the results. If you want to know the details of my surgeon and hospital then please just ask - maybe you could speak to him to see if he knows of someone in your area that is likely to perform the surgery. It seems the guy you spoke with originally doesn't have a clue what he's on about.

Here are my pre and post results.... good luck, hope you get some joy

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=14712.0

Newman

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024