Author Topic: Experience with Mark Kohout  (Read 5734 times)

Offline Jor

Has anyone had any experience with Mark Kohout in Sydney? Feel free to pm me. Thanks.

Offline AX83

Hi Jor,

I'm scheduled for surgery with Dr Kohout in 2 weeks time. For my initial consultation Dr Kohout explained the procedure in a lot of detail and was very helpful. He took pictures of my chest and also measured some parts of my chest with body fat calipers. I'll post more after the surgery.

Offline Jor

Thanks for replying. Please do let us know how the surgery goes, with pictures if possible. There isn't enough information on the surgeons in Sydney.

Offline Liandoolb

• Posting Member
Hey AX83, please do let us know how it goes! I hadn't heard of Dr Kohout until I saw this thread. I'm glad your initial consultation seems to have been positive!

EDIT: If possible it'd be great if you could also outline the costs involved - just checked out his website and it says to expect nearly $10,000 without the top level of private health insurance. Ouch!

I agree with Jor, there really is a lack of information on surgeons (or maybe it's just a lack of surgeons altogether!) in Sydney.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 12:07:23 PM by Liandoolb »

jimmyC

Does anyone know how many procedures he does per year and if he has more than the 4 before and after photos on his site?

cheers.

Offline AX83

Hi Everyone. Well I have had my surgery now. Its just over 1 week ago and the results are amazing. I didn't have any pain at all, but my chest is a bit tender and bruised. It kind of feels the same as if you had done a big gym workout.

So heres a detailed account of what happened on the day.

I arrived at the Hunters Hill Private hospital at about 7:15am and checked in at the reception. I had to fill in some paper work and pay $265 which was the gap  from my private health insurance. If your in MBF like me, the whole cost is covered as they are a 'network' hospital and have some sort of partnership with MBF. Lucky me. At about 7:30 a nurse showed me to my room and took my blood pressure and temperature and just explained what would happen. The staff at the hospital are extremely nice and helpful. I cannot praise them enough for their kindness. She told me I was second on Dr Kohouts list for the day and I would probably be taken up to theatre at 9am. I sat on the bed and watched TV until about 8:30 when the anaesthetist came and saw me. He came and explained what would happen and asked if I had any allergies. He was a very nice Doctor as well.

At about 9am two nurses came around to take me up to theatre, when we got into the theatre waiting room, the chief nurse ran through the same questions with me again just to check that i was the correct patient and that everything had been explained. I was wheeled into a waiting section and they put the TV on for me and covered me with a warm blanket as it was quite chilly up their. Dr Kohout came around to draw on my chest and then quickly left. I was quite surprised at how quick he was but figured that he is probably an expert. In hindsight I think he just isnt very personable. after about 5 more minutes waiting I was taken into the operating theatre. The anaesthetist and the nurses said hello and inserted the canula into my left arm (OUCH!) and started to inject the anaesthetic. I could feel it working and I just slowly drifted off to sleep. This was about 9:15am. It felt like I was dreaming for about 3 seconds and then I woke up in the recovery area and the clock said 10:45am. So I knew the operation was over and I was feeling ok and had the binder garment around my chest. After about 15 minutes I was taken back to my room downstairs. For the rest of the day I was watching TV. I had lunch which was very nice for hospital food. The nurses came to check my vitals every 90 minutes or so. I was discharged at 5:30pm with my painkillers and antibiotics and told to make an appointment to see Dr Kohout 1 week later.

On my 1 week follow up appointment, I arrived 5 minutes early, but I was kept waiting for over 1 hour to see the Dr. It turns out on the follow up visit you only see the nurse and not the doctor, to have stitches taken out. Even though Dr Kohout saw me about 6 times as he came in and out of his room over the hour he said nothing to me, not even hello. I found this very strange and by the end of the hour I was quite pissed off. Lilly, the patient co-ordinator in Dr Kohouts rooms is very unpleasant. I wish he would fire her. She didnt even bother to tell the nurse that I had been waiting so long. It was only when I was about to leave to go back to work that she bothered to check what was happening. After waiting so long, it took only 5 minutes to have my stitches removed. The end result is extremely good.

Overall I would say that Dr Kohout is a good surgeon but his staff at his rooms are terrible. I did have a 2nd opinon from Dr Ben Norris in Bondi Junction before my operation and I found him and his staff to be much nicer than Dr Kohout, however I had hastily booked my operation with Dr Kohout already and Dr Norris waiting list is much longer. Now I think I know why.

The total cost was $265 for hospital day stay, and $900 for anaesthetist, and $7042 for Dr Kohouts fees (including garment and surgical assistant). That may seem expensive but after seeing the result, I am 100% satisfied.

Offline Jor

Thanks for such an eloquent account of your experience!

Offline 2323

I think you may have got your wish with Lilly!

Hope you are healing well...

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024