Author Topic: Gynecomastia surgery with Dr. Pensler  (Read 3860 times)

Offline OneTimer

Hello all,

I had gynecomastia surgery with Dr. Pensler this past Thursday (9/22/11). I discovered this board after I scheduled my surgery; it may seem that I did not put forth my due diligence, but I assure you I did when it came down to my gynecomastia surgery. I've decided to post my experience because I found it helpful and insightful after reading other member's personal experiences.

A little about me: I am 25 years old,  5'10'', 195 lbs and in pretty good shape. I've worked out since high school (the time I realized I had puffy nipples/gynecomastia). I thought working out would cure "my" problem, but it never did (and I recently found out that working out makes it worse). I have researched gynecomastia for about 7 years now waiting for the day I can correct my chest since I was obsessed with how un-masculine it was. I came across several plastic surgeons that specialized in gynecomastia in Chicago/Greater Chicago region and selected Dr. Pensler for various reasons. Dr. Pensler was very straight forward with the procedure and potential results, never feeing me lies about what the outcome could be - I thought this was very professional and comforting. Dr. Pensler spent over and hour explaining to my wife and me the nitty gritty details, and then my potential results via Photoshop. The office staff was extremely nice and professional too. I scheduled the surgery the day after the consultation since I was comfortable with Dr. Pensler.

I was extremely nervous for the surgery (and any surgery) since my wife is a nurse and knows potential complications associated with surgery. I am nervous for: blood clots, hematomas, and infections (so far, so good). Dr. Pensler and his nurse spent a significant amount of time trying to calm me down before surgery, which I was happy they did. The last thing I remember before anesthesia set in was the IV being put in - the next thing I knew I was being put into my compression vest. I experience no pain after surgery, the night after surgery, or two days now. However, I have been taking Vicodin, which does not affect me as well as it does to others. This is a precautionary step that I am taking to prevent any soreness/pain. The day after surgery I took a walk around the neighborhood with my wife and felt great. The vest was tight, tighter than it was after surgery and this was due to the swelling. It is now 2 1/2 days after surgery as I type this and my vest is a bit tighter, but nothing significant. I am expecting tomorrow to be the tightest due to the 72 hours being the peak for swelling. I had hernia surgery last year and that was by far 3x worse in pain/recovery (my hernia was an umbilical hernia which I believe is one of the easiest to repair too). I have taken a few sneak peaks and I have very little bruising on my chest. I have been icing a lot though, hoping to cut the healing process. I am beyond happy with my decision to go with Dr. Pensler and highly recommend him for future considerations. My only complaint is the itchyness the vest causes, which is nothing compared to being in pain or experiencing other complications in my book. I will post pictures of before/after as soon as I can find camera's computer cord.

If I could be of further assistance with information or details, please private message me and I will do my best to answer the questions received.

Offline OneTimer

Can a moderator please move my post to the surgery experience section? I apologize for posting in the wrong section.

Offline DudeInChiTown

• Posting Member

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024