Author Topic: Drains put in AFTER surgery??  (Read 2373 times)

Offline helloHELLO

• Silver Member
is it common for a doctor to have to give u drains because u started swelling days after the surgery??

hopefully if u dont get the drains during the operation then u dont need them during post op

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
I dont think so.  If you have a fluid build up after surgery they suck it out with a big needle i believe.

Inserting the drains once you are all swollen etc post op would be a messy business i'd say
Surgery done 18th March 2008

Offline helloHELLO

• Silver Member
oh ok.  i just had surgery yesterday and my right side is bruised. its bigger than the left and u can see theres a black and blue bruise on the side of the breast.  its gone down some and doesnt hurt anymore (just feels like an uncomfortable bruise) so hopefully its all part of healing and i should be fine.  dont want them putting a needle there lol

Offline helloHELLO

• Silver Member
i'm a lil nervous now... i dont think it really went down in size. its about twice the size as my left breast (which seems to be healing very well). i really hope i didnt develop a hematoma.  last night i woke up around 10pm afer about an hour nap and i only felt pain on that right breast and i had a headache and felt dizzy. by 1am i felt fine, except for the bruised breast.
it also makes it a little difficult to walk normally. its caused me to walk as if i have a hunched back.

i'm going to see my doctor later today.  i think my #1 fear right now is that the doctor has to give m drain now or that he is going to drain out the breast with a huge needle.  i pray that this doesnt negatively affect the contour of my new chest......1 day post op

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
Some bruising, even bad bruising is very common.  And even if they have to drain you, in the long term I don't think it will screw up your results. It will just make the healing take longer.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024