Author Topic: Wouldn't it be nice?  (Read 3487 times)

Offline Hope2Help

• Posting Member
I am shocked by the lack of medical research that is put into gynecomastia, as Dr Jacobs states, erectile dysfunction was once taboo and now there are many medicines to treat it. I think maybe if we gathered a lot of information about every user with gyne on this site we could maybe have some idea of 'causes' for gyne. And if every teen spoke to their parents (I did)You might found out your Dad or other family have/ had the same thing. I opened up to my best friend about gyne and it turns our he has it too!
Sorry for the wall of text
Nathan :)

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Xelnaga13 -- good suggestion.

Would suggest everyone write to Dr Oz.  You can find him at
Go to (doctoroz.com) very bottom of the page in the black section, on the right hand side. The fifth one down is "contact us" click on that and fill out the form and suggest a segment on gynecomastia

I don't think a form letter (copied and pasted) would be as effective as individual letters with specific personal experiences about the physical and emotional effects of having gynecomastia.  However, I would suggest including some of the following:

a) your age, when it started, how it has affected you emotionally
b) how it has affected your life -- eg wearing layers of clothes, walking hunched over, avoiding shirtless situations (pool, beach, school gym), how it affected your relationships with women, how you were teased and ridiculed, any physical hazing, how it affected your school work, did you become reclusive?  etc, etc
c) for teens -- difficulty in talking about it with your parents; convincing parents to take you to a doctor,  condescending attitude of most       doctors/pediatricians
d) refusal of most insurance companies to pay for surgery for a recognized medical condition
e) (for post op patients)  how it has changed your life

I am sure every guy with gyne has memories of specific incidents of extreme embarrassment, etc.  These are the personal experiences that play well on a TV show.

Come on guys -- write something!!!  I'll even settle for 5,000 emails to him!

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024