Author Topic: Article saying women are not the only people with breasts  (Read 2931 times)

Offline Johndoe1

I recently came across an article from 2017 talking about breast insecurity and in one section, the author (who is a woman, for the record) said the following:

"When we think, as a society, about breasts, we tend to associate them with femininity. We think of breasts as something that belongs to women, and that all women have. But that couldn’t be further from the truth! And it’s also really offensive to think of it that way. There are plenty of women (from trans women to intersex women to women who have had mastectomies to anyone else for any reason) who might not have breasts. And there are plenty of men (like, for example, trans and intersex men) who might! Womanhood is not defined by breasts, and breasts are not indicative of womanhood."

Sophie have been saying this for years, and I was saying it too before I even met her, boobs do not define femininity or womanhood. And while the author doesn't come out and say gynecomastia, she alludes to the fact that men of all strips can have developed breasts. Here is the link to the full article. https://www.yourtango.com/2015279999/3-all-too-common-misconceptions-you-have-about-your-boobs
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 10:33:40 AM by Johndoe1 »
Womanhood is not defined by breasts, and breasts are not indicative of womanhood. - Melissa Fabello

Offline gotgyne

Johndoe, this is a very interesting article - and true. But I'm a little disappointed that the author doesn't mention men with gynecomastia, for they are by far the majority of men with breasts. This is a feminist look on the topic, otherwise she had not 'forgotten' to mention us. But no problem, I can only agree with her.
She wrote "Because breasts (and especially those that belong to women) are so sexualized in our culture ...". Exactly the same I wrote in a German forum for bras and got much approval of the female participants. I referred to a picture on Flickr of a nude young woman with a double mastectomy and her scars (no reconstruction) on a beach with her children. She was so happy and radiant that I wrote "look at her femininity!"
John
A bra is just an article of clothing for people with breasts.

Offline Johndoe1

I have a woman friend who is quite the feminist and when she read the article, she was ecstatic over it. She is very aware of my gynecomastia and my choice to have my breasts supported in a way that society deems, feminine. She wholeheartedly supports me and my right to be not only physically comfortable but mentally comfortable. I have no doubt if I showed up at her house in a full length evening gown and heels, she wouldn't bat an eye. She's feisty, that one! And a good person to have in your corner too.

aboywithgirls

I have a woman friend who is quite the feminist and when she read the article, she was ecstatic over it. She is very aware of my gynecomastia and my choice to have my breasts supported in a way that society deems, feminine. She wholeheartedly supports me and my right to be not only physically comfortable but mentally comfortable. I have no doubt if I showed up at her house in a full length evening gown and heels, she wouldn't bat an eye. She's feisty, that one! And a good person to have in your corner too.

Hi John and thank you so much for this wonderful contribution to the forum. 

This was a huge part of my acceptance as Sophie At the Breast Care Center where I work. I was a full busted man working there before I transitioned to a full busted woman. The girls I work with of course could see that I had large breasts and I made no effort to hide the fact that I wore a bra for the same reasons that they did and they simply respected that. They also fully supported me when I transitioned.

Women understand because like them, we didn't choose to have breasts and we also have no control over how large or small they are. They also know that a bra is usually the best option for comfort, control, shape ,and  confidence. 

Be well, be happy, and most of all, be you!!!💋

Love you guys, 

your sister, 
Sophie ❤️

Offline TikTak

• Posting Member
Forgive me for what I'm about to write, but everything I want to say applies to me as well:

the statement that "not only women have breasts" misrepresents reality.
Rather, I would say that only women have them, and men occasionally suffer from an affliction called "gynecomastia."
It affects not only our physicality but probably, so it is with me, the psyche.
Not surprisingly, having so-called tertiary sexual characteristics belonging to the opposite sex can cause confusion in our minds.
You probably have a problem with this, as I do, otherwise you wouldn't be looking at this forum.
But it's a shame to fool ourselves: we deviate from the norm and, with few exceptions, it causes us pain, shame, embarrassment.
To me, the reality is this:
* women have breasts, men do not,
* the appearance of the chest plays a fundamental role in the recognition of female / male.
To cope with my gynecomastia, I try not to deny it, just remember that I am not inferior because of it.

Busted (and happy)

Tik tac
Correction. ALL men do have breasts. It is just a matter of size.
Men with large breasts are, for the most part, not suffering from a condition. They (we) are just at the opposite end of the normal spectrum to the flat chested women who probably get as much stick as we do.
Also for the record, men have been known to lactate and even breast feed their offspring.

Offline Moobzie

• Silver Member
Tiktak: I agree.  And, of course, when you said men don't have breast you meant 'developed' breasts.  While clothing standards in societies (plural!) do change, they tend to change rather slowly.  Tough for some of us here and now.
But, as Tiktak was pointing out, the norm is that females have developed breasts while males do not.  Again, tough for some of us here and now, but "it is what it is" as they say.  So...how do I live  in this physiological and societal condition?  That's pretty much up to me, no one else (except, of course, spouses / significant others).  While I do not say I am "suffering" from gynecomastia, many guys do.  Surgeons aren't going broke.
TikTak's post is spot on the biological reality that we with gynecomastia are outside the 'norm' physically.  Some like it, some don't.  We each figure out how best to live with it - and the 'how best' approaches are as different as all of us are.  
Lamenting the fact that the majority of humans consider gynecomastia in some kind of negative light isn't going to change that fact.  I can't expect society around me to conform to what I want, I must live in and with society, and most of my 'issues' re: ____________ (fill in the blank) are ...
well, mine.

Busted (and happy)

Moobzie
If we all want a quiet life as if we are  abnormal (when we are not) society is never going to change for us or those who come after.
The mental anguish that society inflicts many and causes men into totally unnecessary surgery is almost criminal especially when you read on other pages on this site. Complications, disfigurement and outcomes that do not live up to the hype.

I for one want society's attitudes to change and that will only happen when more  and more of us live openly and speak openly  and dress appropriately for  our normality

Offline Moobzie

• Silver Member
   BandB:
 Not arguing any point with you’re making. 
But wanting “societies attitudes to change” can lead to frustration when that doesn’t happen. Can’t force it. 
We can hope that someday the condition will be seen for what it is:
Something that afflicts some men. And that people in general won’t think wearing a bra any different than, say, using a cane. 
However, I don’t believe gynecomastia will ever be considered ‘normal’ by most people - simply because it isn’t. 
Polls on line have shown that men with boobs are not attractive to most women. Can’t change that. Also, most men don’t find women with beards attractive - can’t change that either. 
So … how I live with it is up to me. 
It is what it is. 

Busted (and happy)

Moobzie

I am not wanting society to change. i am interested in making it change. Here in UK we  seem to be in a situation that has changed and is changing on many fronts and rapidly. The only sure and stable thing is that "permanent change is here to stay"!

i am not picking a fight with any one on here but, with respect, referring to gyno as a condition (which 99.9% of the time in is not) only feeds into the societal prejudice and aids wealthy medics get wealthier still often at the price of further individuals' mental health.

I acknowledge that in this case, changing opinions will possibly be very slow and I  do not expect it to happen in my lifetime but i will agitate. It may be like the unchageable nature of the Catholic church, where change has to be so slow that nobody notices!

From personal experience I also think perhaps you underestimate the acceptance  and understanding of women.

We all must do as we see fit

« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 04:27:22 PM by Busted (and happy) »

Offline gotgyne

Perhaps we need thousands of men with noticeable breasts at a 'bra festival'. The women who fight for their right to go topless in public do the same but in the opposite direction.
Topless festival NCY 2017
Or we join them. The visitors would be astonished how many men have breasts.
John

Busted (and happy)

Why not?
Or an international gynecomastia awareness  day. That way once a year, every year we would get some coverage from a few newspapers, TV and radio channels at least.
We need some supportive women + anyone with relevant media connections and or technical nouse. Unfortunately my skill set does not cover any of these bases
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 04:26:27 PM by Busted (and happy) »

p.r.1974

My two cents. 

It seems that personal opinions are shifting more towards acceptance for most individuals of an open mind, with regard to men wearing bras. The intentionally closed minded with a cube of cedar stuck in their backside and their heads in the sand like ostriches need to evolve. The billions of dollars spent by the many health, beauty, fitness, etc. companies on advertising for their products are dependent on maintaining that as a species we are not enough without them. It is sometimes subtle, and other times not so subtle psychological warfare.

To the commercial and the individuals choosing to be bags of feces...pick a finger.

Be comfortable, supported, and enough.

Orb

In regards to the article. 

I liked what was said: "So regardless of how big or small your breasts seem to you, you are not alone. But a lot of times, people are less worried about the size of their breasts and a lot more concerned about their shape."

I have also mentioned in other post of my concern that both aren't the same shape, I'm learning a lot from those here and this.  She states: "And most natural breasts are oblong-shaped, not round. They also tend not to match exactly. For example, my left breast is slightly larger than the right, and it tends to sit more forward than the right one, which tends to fall to the side more."

I felt she was talking about me.  I have grown a bit the last couple months and can control the shape better now with a good, well fitting bra.

"No matter what your breast size and shape is, that’s perfectly normal and natural (and awesome). And also probably common."

Well said! :);)

Offline TikTak

• Posting Member
"No matter what your breast size and shape is, that’s perfectly normal and natural (and awesome). And also probably common."

Well said! :);)

If that were the case, our forum would not exist and Dr. Delgado would be dealing with operations on other parts of the body.:P

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024