Author Topic: hello, few questions  (Read 3522 times)

Offline steve21

• Posting Member
Hi everyone,

I have had Gyne since i was about 12 (Im now 21). After reading up on this site and a Gyne thread on the Mens Health forum, i finally got the courage to sort it out. My parents have always said nothing is wrong. I know they mean well but when there is an obvious problem, its frustrating. Anyway, i saw a GP in September and he was very understanding. I was sent for a blood test to check for hormone probs (came back clean). After discounting any obvious causes such as steroid/alcohol abuse, i was offered counselling and sent to see a consultant PS at Russells Hall (Dudley, West Mids). He said i definitely had Gyne and its easily treated. Apparently, this is an under diagnosed condition with many men like us suffering in silence.

Roughly 5 months on (and earlier than expected) i have received a surgery date (Sunday 25/3). Very pleased, albeit quite anxious. I have a pre op consultation to go to first and i was wondering if anyone could suggest any questions to ask? So far i have:

Likely recovery time? When will i be able to drive go back to work/uni etc
Side effects of the anesthetic?
Medication required?
anticipated results? (obviously) 
What sort of swelling/bruising/pain will i likely get?

Can anyone suggest anymore?

Anyway reading peoples stories on these boards (especially the UK section) have been very helpful and i'll be sticking around after to make myself useful (advising others and such, hopefully).

Offline mychesthasgone

• Posting Member
Steve

Hope this helps:

I am 7days after surgery today and went back to work today. Pain is limited. In fact I hurt my back lifting a bike into the back of my car twoo weeks before and overall that was worsr pain than the operation. I drove a car 3 miles on day 4 and will drive 200 tomorrow

The anesthetic scares people but mine was very easy, I was on my feet in two hours and then home in 6

I was given codene and anti inflamatories for the first three days. I needed no more than that.

Prepare yourselve in the time you have left - eat good food, avoid booze (it can increase the rate of post op infection), avoid garlic and asprin both thin the blood and can therefore increase bruising.

best of luck

N

Results - so far I'm really please - have a look at my thread

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member

Hi Steve21, and welcome to the boards,

I’m pleased the NHS route has been fruitful for you.  I gave up on the NHS after 2 years of arguing and a lack of confidence in my local NHS surgeons.  Anyway, to answer your questions.

All the questions you list are valid, but I would be asking a couple more before I even decided to let a surgeon near me with his scapel.  I would want to know:

1.   How many of these procedures has the surgeon done before?  I would want to be sure the surgeon is well experienced in this procedure otherwise I would find another.

2.   How often does he do them (different to how many, as he could have done 30 but over the last 30years)?  I would want to know if he does them regularly.

3.   Is he going to do the operation himself or is he going to supervise someone else?  I wouldn’t let anyone practise on me.

4.   Does he have “before” and “after” photos for you to see the results of previous patients?  This would give me an idea of how good he was.

5.   Is he going to remove the gland and perform liposuction to remove the fat as well?  It is pretty much the experience of patients on here that liposuction to remove only fat doesn’t give a good result.  The gland needs to be removed as well.

6.   What method does he use?  Some make small cuts around the underside of the areola to remove the gland and lipo out the fat.  Some make small incisions under the armpit to remove both gland and fat through a long canula.  Some (and I would avoid these surgeons) make large cuts across or under the boob to basically perform a full mastectomy.  Note gynecomastia reduction is NOT a mastectomy.

7.   Does the surgeon recommend the wearing of compression vests for weeks or months afterwards?  Most do, and I would want to know why a surgeon doesn’t (I’d keep an open mind).

I would add that how you feel about the surgeon when you first meet him is important.  I had 3 consultations before selecting my surgeon; the first was so blasé that I wouldn’t have let him near my dog to cut his toenails.  The second was aloof and didn’t inspire me with confidence.  The third knew his stuff, was very experienced and had even had the surgery himself years before.

A lot of people feel that if you are being treated by the NHS you don’t have choices and you have to accept who they give you.  That is not the case.  If you aren’t happy with a particular surgeon or doctor or Endocrinologist (for whatever reason), then you say “thanks but no thanks”, and ask for another.  You do have to be pushy, but you are the customer (even if you aren’t paying) and you have rights and choices.

Let us know how the consultation goes and all the very best of luck to you.
Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

Offline steve21

• Posting Member
Thanks for the replys.

I realise that the NHS hasnt worked out for some but so far this option has worked out well for me. No doubt it varies greatly depednant on the area and authority in charge. Lucky because i can't afford to go private at the moment I am confident in the surgeon. He told me he does 2 of these procedures a week and he is a plastic and reconstructive suregoen rather than a general suregeon. He is the one doing the op.

I will ask to see some before and after photos so i have a better idea of what to expect. He is going to remove the gland which he refers to as buds and also do any required liposuction. The method will be the armpit one and i'l be sure to talk in depth about post op care and compression vests.

Good to know mychesthasgone. Im expecting to be knocked about for a while after. I'll just have to see how it affects me.

Anyone have any ideas as to what operation i could say i have had. I dont want to lie to people but i dont want to tell friends/uni/work that i am having a chest reduction.

Offline mychesthasgone

• Posting Member
Dear Steve.

I told nearly everyone after, most people don't want to tell anyone before (i didn't). However the following explantion is for me entirely truthful (for me)but puts a different spin on it from I'm having my man boobs done -

"I have some abnormal glandual growth (we all have that), it has been tested for anything serious (which mine had, and I better your NHS checks have made sure you don't have any serious unlying cause), my surgeon thinks it will be best removed (if he didn't he wouldn't be doing it). If asked where is it? - The surgery scars will be in my airpits -  which is true for most of us.

I only used this on a few clients at work. Having read it again it is entirely accurate.

As far as recovery goes, you will be surprised, life has returned to normal for me after 1 week. Of course I'm bruised. Beside I'm 40 and your 21, you'll be hopping about in no time. Unless it true about the youth today...... all the best

Offline steve21

• Posting Member
Update.

My operation has been cancelled due to an 'emergency' of some description. I'll be called soon to reschedule it. It happens and its not like i cant live with this thing a bit longer. I cant say im too dissapointed to be honest, after they changed the surgeon on me  :-\

The first consultation was with a very charismatic, confident sounding suregeon who really put me at ease, but the second, at my pre op appointment, didn't exactly inspire confidence.

Offline rockstar6181

• Posting Member
sorry to hear that mate, my NHS expierences have been awful, the last guy I saw put me off by going on about all the bad things that can happen or go wrong, id try and get your orginal guy back if posible.

Offline zink

• Bronze Member
glad to hear the NHS is working for some people... I've only found GPs to be blase and dismissive.

just wondering where abouts in the country are you guys?

Offline outertrial

Offline steve21

• Posting Member
Zink, I am in the West Mids (Dudley area). I saw two GP's at my surgery, one of which was a hosptial registrar and both were excellent. I was offered counselling and after a blood test, sent to see a PS consultant tat the local hosptial. All very swift and excellent treatment so far.

From what i have read on here, there seems to be too many cowboys about saying "it'l go away" or "its normal"  ::). They havnt got a clue about Gyne. This is a common condition wich goes severly under diagnosed due to embarassment and stigma.

Offline NotFedup

• Gold Member
  • Surgery in Poland By Dr Baranski 24th Oct 2006
The best excuse to use is that you have discovered lumps in your chest and they need to be removed as they hurt when they are knocked :)

NHS didnt work for me and i was told to "wear a bra"
fook that!
i went to Poland and its the best thing i ever did :D
losing my moobs was almost as painless as losing my sanity

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024