Author Topic: Necrosis of Areola?  (Read 760 times)

Offline ajajajaj

Hi,

I am 7 days post-op from gland excision and lipo for gynecomastia. I am worried not about the suture that opened prematurely but about the dark skin around the areola where the sutures are added.

Contacting my PS for this as well, but would love another opinion. Could this be early stages of Necrosis? If so, what is the usual plan of action for this?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Some darkening of the lower half of the areola is not uncommon and is not necrosis.  Best to keep the entire area moisturized with antibiotic ointment.  Frequently, the darkened skin may peel off (like a bad sunburn) leaving fresh pink skin underneath.

Best to discuss this with your surgeon.

Relax -- it should be just fine!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Recovery

• Posting Member
Hi,

I am 7 days post-op from gland excision and lipo for gynecomastia. I am worried not about the suture that opened prematurely but about the dark skin around the areola where the sutures are added.

Contacting my PS for this as well, but would love another opinion. Could this be early stages of Necrosis? If so, what is the usual plan of action for this?
That's not necrosis. It's scar/scab/solidified blood.

I picked it off after 1 month no problem, zero bleeding, Like Dr Jacobs said there was pink skin under it which healed soon after picking the scab.

I would not pick it during the first few weeks or it might get infected. After 4+ weeks I don't see why not.
There's no downside to doing it, mine was almost coming off naturally anyway.

Just know that it isn't permanent. Wait a couple more weeks then see if it falls off on its own, if it's very close to doing so you can assist it.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024