Author Topic: Effecst of testosterone replacement therapy on gynecomastia  (Read 8950 times)

Offline chestyoldman

• Silver Member
[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]Are any of you guys with gynecomastia also on testosterone replacement therapy, especially by injection? If so, I would like to know what you have experienced. Specifically, I'm wondering about the effects TRT might have on my gynecomastia.[/font][/color]
[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]I have started testosterone injections and I had my first of 4 last Tuesday 8/15. After the 4th injection I will go back to my urologist to check my T level. [/font][/color][font="Open Sans", sans-serif]In doing my reading about the benefits and side effects I repeatedly saw that TRT can cause enlarged breasts. Since I already have "enlarged breasts" (AKA gynecomastia) does this mean I should [/font][/color][font="Open Sans", sans-serif]expect[/font][/color][/b][font="Open Sans", sans-serif] them to get larger, or is this just a possibility? How common is it for men on TRT to report breast enlargement? Of course, like so many other things, I understand that "my mileage may vary" and it might not affect me at all. I would just like to start preparing myself and my wife for the possibility that my breasts will get larger and I may need to buy bigger bras.[/font][/color]

aboywithgirls

I've never had any TRY. So I can't tell you much. All I can say is that the endocrine system is very complex juggling act. I have had my boobs since puberty. They were already well developed DDs. After a thyroidectomy I went to an H cup. That was over a 5 year span. The boutiques that I shopped at couldn't believe that I was growing so much so fast at my age. They have had other men who needed support as well but they were B's and Cs.

Offline Anon E Mouse

• Bronze Member
The short answer is yes, Testosterone replacement can cause Gynecomastia. The mechanism is called Aromatization. The Aromatase enzyme found in our bodies converts excess Testosterone into Estrogen.
So, low Testosterone and the body "sees" more of the natural Estrogen in our body and often reacts by developing breast tissue. Replace the lost Testosterone and the Aromatase Enzyme converts some of it to Estrogen, and the body again reacts by developing breast tissue. Everyone's different and may or may not react the same way.
Tamoxifen is sometimes used to prevent the conversion, but the risks include blood clots & strokes. Aromatase inhibitors have other risks such as heart problems & Osteoporosis. In short, sometimes the cure can be worse than the disease.
Many of us have concluded that merely growing breasts is not sufficient reason to risk something worse. Growing breasts won't kill us, but in some cases the cure for it might.

Offline chestyoldman

• Silver Member
Thanks for your replies, guys. I'm not concerned that my breasts might get bigger. If the TRT makes me feel better and helps me get erections and horniness back I would consider that a great trade! I'm just trying to sort out the other results I might see and wondering if I might be more susceptible to breast growth since I already had gynecomastia when I started the TRT. My wife had a horrible time adjusting to me having breasts and deciding to wear bras, so I'm trying to prepare her in advance if both may be getting bigger. 

aboywithgirls

Absolutely. Get her prepared. When I started to grow further after my thyroidectomy, it wasn't a big deal but when I was fitted, I was wearing a 38DDD, same size as my wife. Even after weight loss this year. I was refitted for the same bra and I'm now a 36H. We've made adjustments now that I'm bigger, she knows I need to wear. For me it's probably easier because I already had breasts when we met and wore a bra fulltime. 
They're only breasts! Everyone has them and some just need a little support. 

Offline chestyoldman

• Silver Member
Thanks, aboywithgirls! I love what you said. "They're only breasts! Everyone has them and some just need a little support." Unfortunately, my wife only sees the bra as belonging to women and not just as a means of supporting breasts. She has gotten better, though. I just want to find out as much as possible about the effects of this new med. Forewarned is forearmed.

Offline Alchemist

• Gold Member
I've been on TRT (with regular level tests) for 17 years and had no effects at all on my breasts.  I started feeling a lot better within days.  It wasn't until after I started the right nutrients that my atrophied muscles rebuilt and my hematocrit started climbing through the roof.  I had to reduce p-5-p to get the hematocrit back to normal.

And you know, if they grow a little, who cares.  They shrank down a cup or so with removal of more edema and subcutaneous fat, which the doctor said DON'T LOSE IT. I didn't on purpose and that can get out of control.  I have plenty of more important things to deal with.  Good luck.  I'm seeing a urologist and for now he is managing the testosterone and other things.    And believe me, it can lead to some conundrums.  Some nutrients that help liver problems appear to cause problems with the prostate, or maybe not but lots of combinations are not clear.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 03:35:32 PM by Alchemist »

Offline dr.moe

• Bronze Member
I've been on TRT for a couple of years, and it's really hard to tell if it has affected my breasts or not. I suspect so, since my T-level hasn't budged (still sub-100) while my estrogen level has risen. I think my breasts have stopped growing, but lately they've started feeling tender again (with my nipples feeling a bit puffy). As was noted, when my doctor told me the potential side-effects of aromatase inhibitors, I said 'no way'.  If my next blood test shows my T-level is still low, my doc and I have agreed to back off the TRT for a while and see if that somehow brings my E-level back down.  On the other hand, I may end up with another growth spurt.

They're only breasts.

Offline Busty

My breasts developed at puberty and I have never undergone any testosterone replacement therapy.  If I did HRT it would probably not be testosterone I would take LOL.

Offline dr.moe

• Bronze Member
Every single human body is different, including how we react to hormone supplementation. You may have to go through a 'trial and error' phase with a doctor to find out if TRT has any impact on your gyno. Odds are no, but there are strange cases (like mine) that show you never can tell.

Offline chestyoldman

• Silver Member
I had my first appointment with my urologist last Thursday after undergoing 4 TRT injections 2 weeks apart. My initial T level was 335 (scale 300-800) and now it is 696.84. He wants me to continue the injections 2 weeks apart and return every 6 months to monitor me. He told me that of the 100's of men he sees who are on TRT he has had a small few who have reported breast growth. Apparently it's a possibility that mine will get larger, but it doesn't sound like it's a foregone conclusion that they will. Whatever. I'm OK either way, but it will be cheaper if I don't have to replace my bra wardrobe all at once!

Offline mgr

• Bronze Member
Agreed, everyone is different. I have been on TRT since May and am still attempting to get the dosage correct.  Without TRT, my T total T levels are 7 and my free are undectable. I use Androgel because my doctor and I do not want the surge level you get with injections.  After attempting a few different dosages as my T levels increased, we had to back down because it was impacting me mentally and pyhsically.  Once I got into the mid 400’s on total, my nipples began to itch like crazy and I had breast growth.  I just had my blood drawn yesterday and will see in about a week what the new levels are.  My body appears to operate best at the low end of normal or just below. We will see.

Offline Cisco

• Bronze Member
Agreed, everyone is different. I have been on TRT since May and am still attempting to get the dosage correct.  Without TRT, my T total T levels are 7 and my free are undectable. I use Androgel because my doctor and I do not want the surge level you get with injections.  After attempting a few different dosages as my T levels increased, we had to back down because it was impacting me mentally and pyhsically.  Once I got into the mid 400’s on total, my nipples began to itch like crazy and I had breast growth.  I just had my blood drawn yesterday and will see in about a week what the new levels are.  My body appears to operate best at the low end of normal or just below. We will see.

A quick question did you have any pain or discomfort in your breast while they were growing?

Offline dr.moe

• Bronze Member
A quick question did you have any pain or discomfort in your breast while they were growing?

I can't speak for others, but for me - yes.  Definitely yes.  Feeling 'full' - if that's easy to describe, which it's not.  Nipples tender to the touch - so sensitive at times that wearing a t-shirt was like rubbing my chest with 40-grit sandpaper.  (BTW - hint - pique cotton fabric is really rough on nipples!) The breast tissue beneath my nipples was a little sensitive to pressure as well.  A little bit like how when you have swelling with a bruise, it is touch-tender.

My latest tests show T-level is back down - sub-100, and E remains stubbornly high.  And my breasts and nipples have that full, sensitive sensation again, which means I'm probably undergoing another (hopefully minor) growth spurt.

And I just got a couple of nice fitting bras, too :(

Offline Cisco

• Bronze Member

I can't speak for others, but for me - yes.  Definitely yes.  Feeling 'full' - if that's easy to describe, which it's not.  Nipples tender to the touch - so sensitive at times that wearing a t-shirt was like rubbing my chest with 40-grit sandpaper.  (BTW - hint - pique cotton fabric is really rough on nipples!) The breast tissue beneath my nipples was a little sensitive to pressure as well.  A little bit like how when you have swelling with a bruise, it is touch-tender.

My latest tests show T-level is back down - sub-100, and E remains stubbornly high.  And my breasts and nipples have that full, sensitive sensation again, which means I'm probably undergoing another (hopefully minor) growth spurt.

And I just got a couple of nice fitting bras, too :(

I know that feeling of "fullness" in my breasts.  I've experienced it too from time to time.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024