Author Topic: Mammogram last Friday.  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Jw.christensen79

• Posting Member
[font=Roboto, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I had my first mammogram last Friday, it was a very interesting experience. 

I'm a 38 Y/O obviously male with gynecomastia... I'm very slender at 6'3" 150 pounds. Most of the time my breasts are not noticeable, they have grown continuously over the last few years. I'm up to a 34 B. I have discussed them with my doctor every year during my physical since I first noticed them... they always said... lets wait and see... so this year I told him I wanted labs, and an exam by a breast professional. So lots of labs were ordered... and an appointment was made at the VA Womens Health Center. [/font]

[font=Roboto, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The Xray tech was a very petite woman with very small hands. this made her job both difficult an easier at the same time.  Being so much shorter than me, either I was standing with my knees bent for long periods of time or she was on a step stool, so that she could see what she was doing. The small hands made it easier for her to manipulate my breasts between the plates to allow for collecting a good image.[/font]
[font=Roboto, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I have read a lot of differing reports on experiencing pain some say it was bad, others uncomfortable, and still others report no pain at all.... My experience was that it was uncomfortable during the procedure, but afterwards they were quite tender for a couple of days.[/font]
[font=Roboto, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Afterwards the radiologist took me to her office and we talked about the results... and other than the fact that I'm male i have a perfectly healthy pair of breasts... she suggested a bra for comfort and support especially during exercise, and said to continue followup with my PC to attempt to find root cause or call it idiopathic which she said is likely after looking through my most recent labs.[/font]
[font=Roboto, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Breast health is important... for both men and women. Talk to your doctor at your next appointment.[/font]

hammer

Sounds like the VA took good care of you! I go to the Minneapolis VA for my care and I've only had one mammogram there with no follow ups but they were good with me too!

My primary care recommended that I start wearing a bra full time, as I did already but not all the time. She told my to go for a formal fitting to get a bra that would be comfortable, so I did. I had been wearing 46DD bras but found out that I was 46H size bras, what a difference!

Offline Athena12@

• Gold Member
  • If you gat um flunt um.
My mammogram went fine except for the female technician.  First she said I didn't need to wear a bra after I removed my shirt and then after that she did the mammogram begrudgingly and afterwards all she said was that I did not have cancer but I did have gynecomastia and left.  The process was easy the treatment was not and it made we very uncomfortable and angry and will hesitate about going back there if I am ask to have another one.  The whole time she made me feel  "I AM NOT A WOMAN AND I DON'T NEED ONE!"
If you got them flaunt them.  We all wear bras so wear what you like and to hell with the rest.

Offline walt

• Gold Member
Hi I had my second mamo a few months ago, no sweat at all I know the Tech, as I work in the same hospital and see the xray Techs with tissue samples to get x rayed , she said it is getting more common for men to get mamo`s even those with no gyno due to family cancer histories .I never felt ashamed or belittled in any way. Bra and all. Best Wishes and good luck with your next one ..

Offline beachlovermx

• Posting Member
I have had 2 had 3 mammograms, one every other year and it has been with no problem. The female tec has been very nice. I also wear a bra. 40 C and have had no bad comments.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024