Author Topic: Surgery with Dr. Delgado  (Read 4916 times)

Offline neato

• Posting Member
Morning of 10/26:

I was to arrive at Dr. Delgado's office at 08:10.  I got there at about 08:15 and ended up sitting in the waiting room for about an hour and a half due to an emergency he had to handle.  That was fine since the mother of the guy with the emergency was in the room as well and we ended up talking about Hong Kong and China for almost the entire time.

The nurse came in and had me put my stuff in a locker and change into the gown and go through all that stuff...

Dr. Gaynor, came in and did the IV and pre-anesthesia questioner.  He again went over the risks etc etc.  I sat in the pre-op room for about 30 minutes waiting for the drugs to set in.  During that time Dr. Delgado came in and sketched me up and again talked about my higher than "normal" PT time.  He said that just to be on the safe side he was going to leave the drains in for a couple extra days and wanted to see me the day after just to be safe.  I wasn't too concerned since I spent the better part of the week going back and fourth to Kaiser consulting with my GP and hematologist and getting two dozen tests run to check into the underlying cause of my 1.1-1.3 INR PT.  He aslo said that if he got in there, did one and there were any complications due to bleeding then he was going to stop.  I agreed, obviously.

I was taken into the room and much to my chagrin I was stripped and sponge bathed from neck to toe with betadine.  It was weird how I sometimes wouldn't go into a swimming pool or go topless at the beach, but didn't think twice about getting naked in front of a room full of female nurses.  The drugs might have had something to do with it.  I laid down on the table, got strapped in and covered in a sterile sheet.  

Dr. Gaynor came in started working his magic.  He asked me if I was cold and the next thing I remember is waking up and him asking me who my doctor was, where I was and what year it was.  I sat in recovery for about two hours while my nurse made small talk with me.  I honestly felt "aware" after about 10 minutes of deep breaths and started cracking jokes.  I didn't feel dizzy or sick or anything, it was pretty cool.  Dr. Delgado came by after about an hour to see how I was doing.  He said the surgery went great and there was no problem bleeding but that he put in drains and that I needed to pay careful attention to them due to my "problem" and the nurse would go over the exact details.  

Got all my instructions, made an appointment for the next day and was on my way home.  I wasn't in any pain except for some aching and the fact that my thumb and forefinger on my left hand were numb.  Which made peeing, getting dressed and opening anything hard since I'm left handed.

I got home about 20:00, popped a vicodin for fun, emptied my drains and fell asleep sitting up on my couch.

Morning of 10/27:

So far so good.  Just some more mild aching but and an occasional shooting pain (once an hour) that lasts about 5 seconds.  Didn't take anymore vicodin because I'd rather be in mild pain than be in a total daze.  By far not the worst pain I've ever felt so it was no problem at all.

Got to my appointment at 13:00 and the nurse took off the ace bandages, but left the foam.  Dr. Delgado came in and took off the foam, looked in and said it looked good. There was just a tiny speck of blood on the gauze over the right nipple but everything else seemed to be sealing great.  We talked about the drains and due to the fact that I had quit a bit of drainage the night before and that morning he was going to leave them in until my next post op on Wednesday (~ six days total).  He re-wrapped me up in a couple new ace bandages and sent me on my way.

For the rest of the day I sat around and watched TV and read.  I would randomly fall asleep for a couple hours at a time and wake up with back aches.  Luckily I spend a lot of time on an airplane for work and rigged up my home office chair like a plane seat and broke out my neck pillow and just pretended I was on a flight to New York for five hours.  Seemed to work out fine.

The seepage in the drains got progressivly less throughout the day.

10/28:

Same as day before, just hung out and watched TV.  Dr. Delgado called me in the afternoon to see how I was doing.  He asked about seepage and bleeding.  I told him I was getting only about 5-10ccs in each, every 12 hours or so and that I didn't feel any seepage from the drain holes or anything.  That was acceptable and what he expected apparently, so that was good news.

About 21:00 I walked two blocks to the video store and rented a movie.  It was nice to get out in the cold SF air after being cooped up for two days.  It took me about twice as long to get there and back, not due to pain, more because I just wasn't in any real hurry and enjoying the fresh air.

Slept in "airplane mode" again.  No real pain to speak of, just some lower back pain after I wake up, but that seems to go away after about 20-30 deep breaths.  Feeling and sensation has also returned to my thumb and finger.

10/29:

Still sitting around.  Only taken 1 vicodin out of 30 prescribed so far.  Sat out on my fire escape for about an hour this morning for the fresh air.  Still only little aches, no more shooting pain.  The bandages are the most annoying part, that and still not having seen my "new" chest.  The drains are at a stand still now maybe 1-2CC of clear fluid every 12 hours.

I can't wait until Wednesday so I can wash my hair and get my shower on, this washcloth wipe down crap isn't cutting it.

Luckily I've remained regular throughout the last few days and have been eating normal meals of stuff like soup / crackers, toast, sandwiches, and gallons of water.  I never got nauseous or threw up, which was nice.

So far it doesn't seem so bad, just the minor inconvenience of drains and not being able to fall asleep lying down.  I'm anxious to see the results obviously, but in all honesty, anything is an improvement in my eyes.  I also have a lot of confidence in Dr. Delgado and team so if anyone could unlock the full potential of my chest, it would be him.

I'll post more as time passes.

Offline neato

• Posting Member
9th day post op and so far so good.  I got the drains out on the 1st and saw my chest for the first time the day after.

I wore the bandages and drains for a full seven days.  Although the drains were more of an annoyance, it didn't seem that bad.  However, the second the ace bandage and foam came off, I realized how bad I actually had it during those seven days. :)

The next thing Dr. Delgado did was take out the drains.  Not bad at all, the only thing that stung for a second was the initial "seal" break of the long Jackson Pratt pickup inside my chest.  After that he put the compression garment / sports bra thing on me, meanwhile I still hadn't seen my chest in a mirror, only a birds eye view.

That night it was like Christmas eve.  The next morning I would get to see my chest and most importantly SHOWER for the first time in a week.

I woke up around 10am and practically jumped out of bed... I undid the garment hopped in the shower (still not having seen my chest).  After the shower I made my way back to the closet mirror for the first full look.  I almost cried...  I mean, I can't even really put it into words how awesome I felt and how good I thought it looked.  The first thing I did notice were a couple creases on the left side and one nipple was slightly higher than the other.  The good thing is that I was expecting both... the creases were because one side actually folded over and was larger than the other.  I didn't want a load of excision so I opted for Dr. Delgado to use his discretion and try to sculpt it accordingly and minimize the creases as much as he could.  The good thing is that there is a possibility that the creases will fade over time as the skin tightens.  But if it doesn't then I can honestly say that I wouldn't mind.

I don't really know how to put this, but every day I look in the mirrior since the bandages came off I feel better about myself.  It's almost impossible for me to verbalize except to say that I never thought that it would make me feel this way.

Due to my line of work I have to keep a pretty decent wardrobe of nice dress clothes (suits, shirts, etc etc) and today, on a whim, after my shower before replacing my compression garment I pretty much tried on all my work/dress clothes just to see the difference.  I was like a kid on Christmas.  I tried on all the single breasted suits I dreaded wearing (God forbid I ever had to do any kind of business traveling in Europe / Asia in the summer). I always had the same problem my breasts pushed the front out and pulled on the top button and made creases on the outside of the suit.  I put these things on and it was like night and day... suddenly the front of the suits were flat WITH NO BULGES!  It was like the coolest thing ever.

Simply amazing.  I did know about this condition and did a whole bunch of research before I found this site, but I can wholeheartedly say that if I hadn't read this site and these boards and all the other people who went through with this surgery then I would have never gone through with this, true story. I never though of this thing ruling my life and never really concentrated on all the rituals I would go through every day to try and cover it up... until now.  It's simply amazing the crap you do without conscious effort, and once you don't HAVE to do it anymore you look back and just think "wow."

Offline marctrex

• Posting Member
OMG, I am the guy who had the emergency with Dr. Delgado on the morning of 10/26.  Hahaha.  

My original surgery was on 10/19, but when the Medical Assistant went to remove the drains on 10/24 it ruptured something and I had internal bleeding.  So Dr. Delgado had to do an emergency surgery on 10/26 to irrigate, suction, and then cauterize the area.  He was able to fix everything and I am fine now.

I called my mom up in New Orleans and read her your posts above.  She said that she enjoyed talking to you in the waiting room and was wondering how your surgery turned out.  She was happy to hear that everything turned out well for you.  She also mentioned that you showed up to your surgery alone and was waiting for your girlfriend to pick you up or something like that.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 03:35:26 PM by marctrex »

Offline chansam

• Bronze Member
My original surgery was on 10/19, but when the Medical Assistant went to remove the drains on 10/24 it ruptured something and I had internal bleeding.  So Dr. Delgado had to do an emergency surgery on 10/26 to irrigate, suction, and then cauterize the area.  He was able to fix everything and I am fine now.

How did that happen?  Were you prone to it for some reason or was it random?  Anyone else have something like this happen?  That sounds scary to have to get an emergency surgery.... 

Give some more details.  I'm getting my drains out on Wednesday.

Offline speedway121

• Bronze Member
Can you guys help me? I am in South California, and want to go with Delgado, but-
how many days do I need off of work? It seems I need to have like 2 weeks in SF to do this? he keeps calling you back in for follow up,etc?? Please help.
How much was your surgeries?

Offline NewLifeStartsMay4th

• Bronze Member
    • pre-post pics
just curious why you didn't use dr. metzner in new orleans?
Surgery may 4th Dr. Metzner New Orleans
http://deuce-po.magix.net/

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024