Author Topic: Hey Guys, I need some Work Out advice - Please Read!  (Read 2907 times)

Offline m9taylor

• Posting Member
So I recently had my surgery: March 12th. Now that the weather is getting better and I'm able to work out fully again, I'm getting back into quite an intense schedule that I would like your opinions on. 

Right now, I am 19, probably about 15-18% BF, 160 pounds, 5'9, and would like to get down to about 11%, and about 170.

I've have heard many that say my regimen is too intense and working towards my disadvantage, however, I feel great, and am rarely exhausted- I take whey protein powder/all encompassing multivitamen every day and guarentee I get at least 100 grams a day of protein.

Monday/Wednesday/Friday: Lift and train most to all muscle groups including arms, (not chest just yet), legs, abdomin, back, etc. Usually lift until exhaustion (my max), which isn't a HUGE amount, usually around 90 pounds depending on the machine. Throughout the hour and a half or so I spend at the gym I throw in 2-4, 10 minute, high intensity cardio sessions on the eliptical trainer (usually burning about 400-600 calories in total). Essentially, I call these my 'all-arounder' days, because I'm covering all my bases and feel great after doing so. I take my protein after the work out, eat my carbs and such (usually a sub :) - god I love them).

Tuesday/Thursday: 40 Minutes on the eliptical trainer  at moderate-high intensity (usually burning about 600-700 calories in the process). After which I'll run to maybe 2 or 3 machines and work some muscles that don't feel really that bad at all from the previous day (my back seems to recover really well, so maybe a couple sets to work it a bit). After which, take my protein, eat my carbs, etc. etc.

I eat very minimally during the week, it's strange, but I really have adjusted my body to run on a minimalistic diet and expending quite a bit of energy without feeling tired/sick/exhausted.

My usual food intake: Wake up, eat a protein shake and a couple pieces of toast. Lunch, banana and an apple. Dinner, usually a hefty sub, meats, tons of veggies, good fats from some dressings. I do snack on some (healthy) things if I feel the hunger for them (I never ignore my body if I'm hungry, just don't really get the cravings for a surplus of foods anymore). I drink a glass of red wine usually every day as well.

Weekends I tend to eat around the same or increase my carb intake- usually eat what I like on weekends and take it easier, MAYBE some light cardio, but still, a healthy diet, and no real junk food at all.

I used to be 220 pounds, and this has been working for me so far- but if and when I tell people my workout/eating habits, I usually get a look that resembles - :o, lol. I'm willing to hear advice and some new ideas! Would love some actually, always willing to try something new, or in fact, maybe even hear of some concerns, anything! :).

I know a lot of us on here are very health conscious and exercise quite frequently, so I'd love to hear your strategies, and maybe some advice for me to get to my goal!

Thanks guys,

Mike
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 02:51:16 PM by m9taylor »

Offline Twin Peaks

• Silver Member
Just some advice in regards to your workout routine.  Try doing different muscle groups on different days (Chest and shoulders- Monday, back and legs- Wednesday, arms - friday).  You might notice much faster gains.  Last year I used to do every muscle group every day, but then switch it up to different groups of different day and was able to gain weight a lot faster.  Don't forget to drink lots of water on the days you are lifting (>60oz. a day).  Also, keep an eye one your heart rate when on the elliptical (130bpm for fat burning, 160 bpm for cardio training).  Try not to go over that 160bpm.  Good luck!

Offline dcvet

• Silver Member
The workout sched doesnt look too bad.  I prefer to do one body part per day. 2 max, but some people prefer to do their whole body in one day.  Its just difficult to give each specific muscle the attention it needs in one workout.  Also, for many people they dont fully recover and end up training.

I would do as follows:

Monday - Chest & Tris
Tuesday - Back and Bis
Wednesday - Off
Thursday - Shoulders & Traps
Friday - Legs
Saturday and Sunday -off

Throw abs in every other day, and do cardio on off days or after weight training.

The biggest problem I see is your eating habits.  While you may have lost a large amount of weight initially by reducing calories drastically, that will come to a hault.  Your body will get used to the low calories and in turn slow your metabolism to become more efficient at storing energy.  This will make it MUCH more difficult to lose fat and even more difficult to build and even keep hard earned muscle.

Figure out what your daily caloric requirements are to maintain your current weight, then reduce them by oinly 500 calories.  Split up your food consuption for the day into 6 smaller meals, ensuring that you get protein at EVERY meal.  Consume about 1 - 1.5 grams of protein per lbs of body weight and the rest in healthy fats and carbs.  Drink a minimum of 1 gallon of water a day.

If you do all of the above, you will make steady muscle gains and lose about 1-2 lbs of body fat per week - Doesnt sound like much, but thats 8 lbs in one month, 16 lbs in two months, etc... 

And finally, be consistent and positive, which i dont think should be a problem for you. The fact that you're in the gym now and not sitting on your couch stuffing your face with ice cream is fantastic.

Offline mkit8971

• Bronze Member
I agree.  The diet is your BIG issue.  You got to eat more man.  Also don't expect to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.  You either bulk to gain muscle or cut to lose fat.  Make sure you get enough good meats like steak, chicken, tuna, and fish.  Good snacks are beef jerky, almonds, and veggies.  Protein is a MUST at all meals, like the previous poster stated.  Good luck.

Offline m9taylor

• Posting Member
Thanks a lot for your advice guys, I really do appreciate it. I do have to agree, my diet does seem a little pre-teen- haha, I think it's mostly a matter of ease that I've gotten used to. It's just Really easy/simple to eat that way, you know?

Any tips on a healthy daily meal consumption besides the protein? I mean, I get plenty of that a day given that I consume about 90g in supplement and the rest in some meat (I'm not HUGE on meat, but am getting adjusted to it - used to be a vegetarian). For instance, what's worked foodwise for you guys?

Also, What do you think of a diet consisting of 15% Fat, 32% Protein, and 53% Carbs in relation to total grams/calories consumed- good idea?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 11:50:24 AM by m9taylor »

Offline Twin Peaks

• Silver Member
I'd up the fat levels to at least 20-25%.  Don't be afraid of the fats.  Good fats are essential to muscle growth, so go eat some almonds and peanut butter.

Offline m9taylor

• Posting Member
Thanks T-Peaks, most of the fat I consume is from both of those actually for snacks and such, and then the rest is fat from meat. Never the less though, on a diet of about 2400 calories, you think those are good percentages? Given that the most 'unhealthy' thing in my new diet is probably the mayonaise on a sub, Lol.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024