Author Topic: swelling post-op  (Read 3378 times)

Offline middetroit

• Posting Member
Okay I just had surgery, it will be 2 weeks on Friday.  They are healing up very nicely and look much improved for the most part, however I was wondering if anyone who has had the surgery has experienced swelling on one side more than the other?  One feels completely flat and normal, but the other feels liek it still has fluid and even some tissue left under there, similar to before the surgery.  My doctor told me it will smooth out over time, but I just want to know if anyone else has had the same experience and how long it took.  Or just any advice in general would be much appreciated.  Thanks

Offline jtd993

• Posting Member
For a second I thought I was reading something I'd posted.  Sounds just like me!  I'm just 5 days post op now and the right is pretty flat but a bit swollen and the skin feels numb/squishy.  The left is noticeably larger but squishy/numb too.  I have a follow-up appointment tomorrow.  I'm expecting over time I'll be even once the swelling is finished.  A month or two from now I could better answer your question :)

Think of it as 2 procedures- a right one and a left one.  They'll heal slightly differently even though the same thing was done to each side.  If you had one side done this year and the other side done next year, you may think "I don't remember the other side swelling this much" or "I hardly got swollen this time compared to last". 

Did you have excision and lipo?  I believe the lipo causes the most swelling as the process is very traumatic to the tissues.

Offline greatdane

• Posting Member
I'm over 2 months post-op and I'm going through the same thing. The right side which seems to have the most scar tissue built up has flattened a lot more than the left which still has a certain amount of puffyness. I'm trying to be patient as I've been told optimum results usually occur between 3 to 10 months.

Offline middetroit

• Posting Member
hmm, 3-10 months sounds like a long time. I guess I'll just have to wait it out.

I had nearly all tissue and some very mild lipo.  The now puffier side was worse initially than the other so perhaps that's why it's doing this.

How long did you guys have to wear the binders for? My doctor initally told me at least 2 weeks but I came back for a follow up 10 days after and he told me i was healed enough to get rid of it. I couldn't believe it so i am still wearing it.

Well good luck to both of you, and thanks for your input.

Offline DCBR78

• Silver Member
Are you sleeping on your back? Sleeping on your stomach or side will create unever pressure on your swelling.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 09:17:40 PM by DCBR78 »
Surgery Date: April 9, 2008.
Surgeon: Dr. J C Fielding. (Toronto)
Result: Life is getting better with every day.

Offline mkit8971

• Bronze Member
I am 12 days post-op and the vest comes off tomorrow.  I dont even have anymore bruising and was even back at the gym already, doing light weights of course with no chest.

Offline gyne23

• Posting Member
I have a hard substance in my chest (assuming scar tissue ?)

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
if you have more swelling on one side it probably means the surgeon did more work on that side...eg probably pulled out more gland, did a bit more lipo etc.
This was the case with me...my left was much worse than my right, much more puffy pre-op that is.
Surgery done 18th March 2008

Offline rowdy99

• Bronze Member
I had this too after my surgery.  In my case it was fluid build up on my right side. 

Your right about the more work they do on a certain side this will cause more swelling, especially with lipo.  In my case the swelling was pretty severe and I had my drains out but had to be drained by a syringe by my ps a total of 8 times.  A huge pain in the ass and my right side has been bigger than my left ever since.  Time for a revision!

Message me if I can be of any assistance to any of you as I know how hard it is when all you want to do is heal up.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024