Author Topic: 6 hrs post op  (Read 2558 times)

Offline nikolas

• Posting Member
Hey guys. I finally had the op today. Got there 7 am, was home by 1230. Right now am feeling well. Very minimal pain. I'm sure the drains will begin to annoy me shortly. I have to return to the dr Monday at which point they expect to take the out. So here are questions dancing around my head as I lay hear between sleeping and watching tv:

1) does evryone get scar tissue? From reading the boards I feel this scar tissue issue will be somewhat hard to deal with specially if it results in looking like you never had the surgery!

2) what type of diet is best to obtain best results? Reduced scarring? I head pineappes is good?

3) I have not seen what my chest looks like since I woke up with drains in plce and vest on. I can shower on Saturday. I reeaaaly hope I'm not discouraged by what I see.

4) as of now no depression, feeling good about having gotten this out of the way. However  somwat fearful from the boars that the recovery is longer and more difficult than I thought. I my appendix removed and recovery was quite smooth...I guess won't be the same in this case?

5) not working out - aargh. I'm sure this will upset me after a while. To others that work out and have had the surgery, have you been satisfied with the overall shape of your chest ( with shirts on and without)? Does it end up looking like a normal worked out chest?

Any inputs and comments would be great. Would be good to hear from those in same shoes or who have been in these shoes of this post op ordeal...

Offline minnhelp

• Posting Member
Congrats on your surgery... I was in the same boat last Friday after mine and pretty much went through the same thought process. Check out this article that I read and am using supplements mentioned in there to expediate post surgery recovery and minimize scarring. So far so good, but I probably won't know for another week or 2 but you can see for yourself whether you like what it talks about
http://www.naturopathyworks.com/news/newsltr0807.php

Believe me, not working out is bothering me as well but the rest is well worth it. As you mentioned pineapple is good, due to the enzyme called bromelain that synthesizes and speeds protein absorption hence faster muscle repair, recovery in theory...

Offline nikolas

• Posting Member
great link! Thanx! Have you used any of the items described in the article. I think I'll try muscle milk for sure and vitamin C...

What about pain...did u have to use much if the prescribed pain killers? As of yet I have not needed them (knock on wood).

From seeing your chest one week post op are you able to say  you feel that your chest looks or will look as hoped for? Or are you still looking at it and wondering how and if you will get the results you wanted? Right now my mind wonders..will I get bad scar tissue? Will I find asymetry in my chest? Will I look ok without a shirt in warm weather? Will my chest look too flat?...too much time in my hands right now and the mind keeps wondering...

Offline minnhelp

• Posting Member
great link! Thanx! Have you used any of the items described in the article. I think I'll try muscle milk for sure and vitamin C...

What about pain...did u have to use much if the prescribed pain killers? As of yet I have not needed them (knock on wood).

From seeing your chest one week post op are you able to say  you feel that your chest looks or will look as hoped for? Or are you still looking at it and wondering how and if you will get the results you wanted? Right now my mind wonders..will I get bad scar tissue? Will I find asymetry in my chest? Will I look ok without a shirt in warm weather? Will my chest look too flat?...too much time in my hands right now and the mind keeps wondering...

You're welcome.. Actually, I am trying everything on that article and so far I think i am progressing ok... nervous moment today to see myself in the mirror for the first time afer surgery. I didn't think I had too bad of a case of gyne... my doc says I am 5 on a scale of 10.

Pain was minimal and manageable I did take couple pills of vicodin on 2nd and 3rd night to help fall asleep but its not like I really needed it ...i just wanted to knock out and it did just that.

You can read my post in 'surgery experience' to get more detail on my evaluation from doc for so far so good... I can't complaint.  Scar tissue is my concern too but I wanna do whatever i can to minimize it so I have to wait and find out if there will be any....You're thinking along the same lines as I am but I am more optimistic and thinking that no matter what it will be better than what it was... without shirt or with shirt... i can buy and try more shirts and fitted clothes now....lol.. even if there is any scarring which i couldnt do before.  Something i'm assuming you're looking forward to as well....

I am going back to work starting monday so I will be occupied but surfing web, watching tv, and reading magazine etc... has just made me lazy this past week.... hope you're progressing just as good. Good luck!

Offline nikolas

• Posting Member
Like you my gyno case was mild. Mine actually resulted from taking propecia for 1 1/2 yrs! Huge mistake!! From what you desribe I'm kind of going through same...havnt realy needed pain meds. Only very minor discomfort. Also only take the vicodine to fall asleep since I have a liitle trouble getting in a comfortable position....

Question...how much muscle milk are you drinking per day? Powder or shake? I bought several 14 oz bottles. Drank one today. However, concerned that with no work outs too much of this will end up giving me a belly. Oh, and where did u get the rest of the items on that link?

You say you saw yourself for first time after 1 week? Did u take vest of at all that week. My dr told me I could shower tomorrow. Drains probably out Monday. But I am to keep wearing vest for 2 or 3 weeks. I guess I'll see myself for first time tomorrow when I briefly take best off to shower.

Offline minnhelp

• Posting Member
Like you my gyno case was mild. Mine actually resulted from taking propecia for 1 1/2 yrs! Huge mistake!! From what you desribe I'm kind of going through same...havnt realy needed pain meds. Only very minor discomfort. Also only take the vicodine to fall asleep since I have a liitle trouble getting in a comfortable position....

Question...how much muscle milk are you drinking per day? Powder or shake? I bought several 14 oz bottles. Drank one today. However, concerned that with no work outs too much of this will end up giving me a belly. Oh, and where did u get the rest of the items on that link?

You say you saw yourself for first time after 1 week? Did u take vest of at all that week. My dr told me I could shower tomorrow. Drains probably out Monday. But I am to keep wearing vest for 2 or 3 weeks. I guess I'll see myself for first time tomorrow when I briefly take best off to shower.

Actually, I've been drinking muscle Milk (powder, since its cheaper that way) 3 times a day. I use Muscle Milk and other protein (ergopharm) when I am working out but since the surgery, I've been only using Muscle Milk because it has vitamins and netrients that are possibly good for recovery and healing.

Now when I say 3 times a day, I meant, 2 scoops with a glass of skim milk blended in the mornng.. 1 scoop in the early evening with half glass of milk and one scoop before bedtime.  I use their newer lower fat content so it won't add up to be so much but you can just stick to atleast one to 2 scoops per day if you want. I usually order online from this site http://www.luckyvitamin.com/item/itemKey/60538.

Lot cheaper than any other online site or store. Also i mix in glutamine in it as that article suggested. Btw, you can find those supplements in that article in any GNC store or otherwise possibly at any organic/whole food market or stores....

I didnt take of my vest at all the first week... Just a couple i unzipped the front to let my skin breathe for 30 seconds...lol.... my doc told me not to shower until the day after my drains were out (past tuesday). So i didnt take the vest off and just washed waist down... since I didnt have to go anywhere, i was abe to live with myself not showering....lol.. which is bizarre because i thought I would go crazy if I dont shower atleast once a day....

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024