Author Topic: Help!! My doctor's assitant may have screwed me over  (Read 2575 times)

Offline davojm26

• Posting Member
Okay so I had gyne surgery Friday, October 2nd. Everything went well, no complications or anything. I wore the surgical compression garment until my first post-op consultation the following Monday, October 5th. At that time, my doctor was apparently very busy, and only met with me for 2 or 3 minutes (as doctor's tend to do), leaving the rest of the time to talk to his assistant.

After giving me more post op instructions and leaving the room, the assistant asked me if I had purchased a lycra garment or under armor to wear in the next few weeks. I told her yes, and she helped me put it on since I was still in a great deal of pain. I threw away the SURGICAL compression vest, not thinking twice about it.

I go back today for my 2nd post op consultation, and the doctor asks me if I had continued taking medication, following other post op instructions, etc etc. He then asks me if I had continued wearing the surgical compression vest. I told him no, because his assistant told me to wear under armor for 6 weeks! I understood that I was done wearing the actual compression vest.

Well... apparently not. Had he given me the instructions himself, he wanted me to wear it consistently, day and night, for 3-4 weeks following surgery. This is making me very concerned because in the 10 days that I wasn't wearing the compression vest, I developed a fair amount of swelling (which I assume is normal), but have also been experiencing a decent amount of skin sagging. Almost to the point where it doesn't look like I've had much of an improvement from before I had the surgery :(

I went out and bought another compression vest as soon as I left the doctor's office, and fully plan on wearing it for a month straight. Does anyone know if not wearing it for those crutial 10 days has like permanently altered my chest beyond repair? I really hope not... I'm going to be so infuriated with that horrible woman if she ruined my surgery results  >:(

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Dude...  I highly doubt that wearing an UnderArmour garment has caused your chest any undue harm. It doesn't matter what 'type' of compression garment it is, as long as you get some form of compression on your chest.

Have you posted any pics of this "decent amount of sagging skin" ?

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline davojm26

• Posting Member
No I haven't posted any pics. I'll take some as soon as I can find my camera.

By "decent amount of sagging skin" I only meant relative to the way my chest looked when I had first taken off the original surgical vest (the corset-looking thing). My results at that time were awesome.

But after a few days of having not worn it, conditions got worse. I've been wearing it consistently now since my last doctor's appointment, so hopefully things will get better.

Offline Layzie

• Posting Member
I wore no vest at all, and my chest healed perfectly fine.....

Offline davojm26

• Posting Member

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024