Author Topic: Recovery and compression vests?  (Read 2736 times)

Offline morpheus11

• Silver Member
Hello Everyone,

I'm fairly new to the site, and I love it. I laugh at some of these posts because I've gone through it all. It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who suffers from this terrible condition. Some of you just say it better than I do.

Anyhow, I fairly confident I'm getting the surgery this upcoming May, but I'm worried about two things. First, the sedation. I know it differs with everyone but this is a valid concern for me. Could anyone provide a few words of encouragement?  Second, I'm worried about the compression garment? I live in Texas, and if you've been to Texas in the summer, you know it's freaking HOT!. Will I be severely overheated if I'm wearing this compression garment? How long will I have to wear it? I'm already used to wearing gyne shirts underneath button up shirts, but is this after recovery compression vest any different?  Lastly, how many days can I expect to take off work? I have weekends off, so I was hoping to get the surgery on Friday to use the weekend to recover. Think that's enough time?

Thanks guys. This site and your replies mean a lot to me.

Offline nitrox987

• Bronze Member
Hi,
The anesthesia was one on my main concern too especially because I never had any surgery before. I told the anesthesiologist I was nervous and he explained me exactly what would happen and it did reassure me. After he put the IV, he gave me some relaxing medicine, it was pretty much like after having a couple beers, I felt much more relax and I remember walking to the OR and feeling OK. After that I guess he gave me something stronger but I have no recollection of anything. One of my worry was to feel the moment where you are about to pass out due to the sedation, this didn't happen, probably because of the relaxing medicine.
They also say you can have nausea after the anesthesia, well this didn't happen either. Overall the anesthesia was not a big deal at all and if I need another one in the future I for sure won't be as nervous.

The compression garment I had is pretty similar to gyne shirts, you will feel warmer than without it but it should not make you overly sweat or anything. You will have to wear it for as long as your surgeon recommends it but usually it's between 4 to 6 weeks.

Concerning when you can return to work, it probably depends on your work but I think you are not planning enough time. If you stay behind a desk and don't have to lift anything, a week sounds more reasonable. Talk with your surgeon, the recovery depends on what he is going to do, whether he uses drains etc.

Good luck!

Offline shaker

• Silver Member
gyne surgery like any surgery can be complicated and one can get very anxious about... I had been putting surgery off for about 5 year or more now because i could never find time (atleast a month off) to take care of it.. Trust me when you make that payment and book for surgery you wont be anxious about things like anesthetics  or surgery, well atleast i was not, but would be more eager to be "gyne free" if you had gyne for over 15 years like in my case I can assure you the excitement will be more than nervous breakdown and other worries.

recovery i have to say is a bitch :p .. i am still trying to summon up courage to start massaging its been only a day or so since i could move about more freely without any pain and now massaging :( ... Well i have low tolerance for pain everyone is different ! Will have to get going on massaging and hopefully it will be more beneficial than just wearing the annoying vest day in and day out !

Plan atleast a month off from any serious work i think it be best for the chest .. after so many years i had the opportunity to get the time off and go through the surgery. Feel free to follow my post op thread if you like at  https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=22605.0

gluk.

Offline gyne_nomore

• Posting Member
10 days after my surgery I can tell you the compression vests are a horror. In the Texas heat the vest will be hard to bear. But I guess it is still worth it.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024