Author Topic: Living with Gynecomastia  (Read 4761 times)

Offline 15inVA

I'm 15 living with Gynecomastia. I have told my parents i would like to get a surgery done
but i don't know if  any doctors would even operate on a minor? Do you know any doctor in Virginia
that would or is it out of the question and I have to wait for another 3 years?

Offline 808gyno

• Posting Member
  • Upon further review, I'm not as cool as I thought.
I'm not sure how you should approach your parents about your gynecomastia, but it is definitely something that you should get addressed.  In retrospect, I wish that I had taken steps to get this problem resolved at an earlier age as opposed to waiting till I was 32.  Not saying that everyone shares this view, but that's how I wish that things went down for me.  Take care and good luck to you.

Offline 15inVA

A few years ago I was really overweight 5'2 147 pounds.  Now I'm 5'11 175 so I lost a ton of weight everywhere expect my chest. My parents both noticed my Gynecomastia so when I brought it up they both told me that they
didn't understand it ether.  So I will go to a Doctor and See what they say. Santax I would just tell your parents you want to talk and say I'm having a problem with something and just tell them about it.  My parents thought i was going to tell them tha i was using drugs.  So they were relieved.

Offline 15inVA

I know the only way you really understand it is if you have it.

DrBermant

I'm 15 living with Gynecomastia. I have told my parents i would like to get a surgery done
but i don't know if  any doctors would even operate on a minor? Do you know any doctor in Virginia
that would or is it out of the question and I have to wait for another 3 years?
Gynecomastia frequently goes away on its own. Most male babies have some small breast buds at birth from their mother's hormones in the womb.  This typically resolves.  Many teenagers have gynecomastia from the imbalance of hormones during puberity.  Gynecomastia that persits for more than 2 years often typically does not resolve on its own. When should surgery be done on a young man is a very common question addressed here.

I have operated on many teenagers for this problem. Some have posted here in this forum. Here are links to parents comments about their sons'  surgery.

It depends on the degree of the problem, emotional concerns, current breast growth, and other factors best explored with an experienced surgeon during a consultation after an examination.

Many teenage patients have told me that using the internet helped them talk with their parents about their gynecomastia.  Here is a movie I posted about the emotion of living with gynecomastia many have told me helped.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline 15inVA

Thank you DrBermant for giving me a link to your site.  I have a question me and my parents decied that if II really work hard on trying to work out and see if I get rid of my Gyne.  Could you please tell somethings i could do to get rid of chest without surgery?

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
Thank you DrBermant for giving me a link to your site.  I have a question me and my parents decied that if II really work hard on trying to work out and see if I get rid of my Gyne.  Could you please tell somethings i could do to get rid of chest without surgery?

Gynecomastia isn't being overweight.  It's not lack of muscle, either.  Losing weight and/or gaining muscle won't get rid of true gynecomastia (women's breasts) any more for a man than it will for a woman.  Believe me, I'm not trying to dash your hopes.  I just hate to see someone work and work at losing weight and going to the gym and not only being dissappointed, but wasting another couple of years and keeping the condition.  I'm not saying to keep away from the gym, but to understand that this is a condition that has become part of the body's make-up.  To say you're going to work off your gyne is like saying you're going to work off your cheeks.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 08:07:17 PM by Mr_Nip »
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

DrBermant

Body building can help with the fat component of the male chest.  I see many bodybuilders for chest contouring.  They all tell me that in building muscles, whatever is on top of the muscles gets pushed out as the muscles get bigger.

Congratulations on your losing the weight.  In general wearing the extra fat is not healthy.  Check out your risks with a BMI Calculator (Body Mass Index)

Plastic surgery is better after weight loss, losing weight is a coarse tool. Plastic surgery is better used for refinement.

Weight Loss, Dealing With Excess Skin of the Chest and Body is also a major emotional issue.

Check out this new section on the emotion of body lift surgery for those after massive weight loss:

Personal experiences and emotions of dealing with weight, loose skin, and body lift surgery.

At your age, this is something you need to discuss with your parents.  If they agree, your questions are better explored during a consultation where your problem can be better evaluated and options discussed.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024