Author Topic: Sports Bras Or Any Bras  (Read 22310 times)

Offline mrsaggs

Hello,

As all of you I'm suffering from Gynecomastia and because of that I'm really looking for some support while playing sports as well as just relaxing.  I've always considered bras as just something women wear, but as of late I've been having some back problems as well as just plain discomfort while even riding the tractor.

My way of thinking is changing and I'm ready to accept wearing bras for comfort and support.  I've been looking online bras and how to size myself properly but its been very difficult.  When I try and follow size charts nothing seems to fit right.

Does anyone out there have any ideas as to what I should wear, how to size properly and what not?  Thanks.

Offline Bobcat54

• Posting Member
Twenty some years ago, my gynecomastia was getting the best of me. Chest pain from the bounce and more important, back pain cause by bracing myself against jolts and bounces.
I consulted a Doctor and was told about removal. I did not like what was explained and more so THE PRICE as it was not covered under my medical.
The Doc then told me of an alternative.......a bra.
Either control the bounce or live in pain. Not a difficult choice!
I was measured and my SO bought me my first bra. Instant comfort. It took some getting used to the idea....embarassment mainly, but I got through it. I am now comfortable with the idea of wearing daily....it is only another piece of clothing.
I now think nothing of going into Walmart and buying myself a new bra.

Offline Bobcat54

• Posting Member
I should add, I have tried sports bras and find they are not comfortable for me to wear for extended periods of time. Theytend to  squash instead of support.

Offline mrsaggs

Thank you very much for your reply.  I've measured myself before for a bra and the way I figured it I was a 42B.  I've tried 42B bras and haven't had too much luck with them fitting right.  Do you have any suggestions as to the best style of bra to try?  Also do you recommend underwire bras?

Offline Bobcat54

• Posting Member
The advice that was given to me when I was first professionally measured.....

The male body has a different bone structure.
When measuring for a bra, forget the add 4 inches stuff.
Measure around the chest, just under the fullest part. This is your BAND size.
    ie: 36 inches.....you need a 36
Next...measure around the fullest part

1 inch larger.....A cup
        2 inch larger.....B cup

This seems to work well for me, however, different manufacturesand for that matter, different style from the same maker will fit slightly different.
What I do is when I find a style that fits, I buy several as makers regularly discountinue models/styles.
It does take some practice/trial and error to recognize ones that will fit.
Good luck and remember.....its just another piece of clothing!

Offline Andee

• Posting Member
  • Life is too short not to enjoy
Bobcat's advice is spot on. I've used the suggested technique to get garments that fit properly, give me some support, and are not so prominent (in the way of shaping) to be really noticeable under most clothes.

Offline Andee

• Posting Member
  • Life is too short not to enjoy
It's interesting to see the changed attitudes of folks on this message board over the last three years. When I posted about this in 2005

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=1043.0

there was not the willingness to accept the solution of just trying a non-traditional approach. I don't know where the picture disappeared to...but it really just looked like an a-shirt cut off.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 09:51:09 AM by Andee »

13genof

I too found the sports bra to squashing, so I just use a soft no wire bra, and it supports me just fine, and doesn't add shape, by the way a 38 "C" cup is what I have to use.  I have also found that when your Gynecomastia is larger than just a slight swelling that afflicts many guys, you do need something for support and comfort, and before there is a big deal made about it being a BRA, it is only an article of clothing and nothing more.  Guys need to realize that if Gynecomastia was a big of a problem back when BRAS were invented,(as it is today) it would have been standard for both men and women to wear them! 
 In my opinion the public needs reeducated that it is accepting for men who can't afford or do not want surgery, to wear a bra for support not shape!

8) 8)

Offline wertman

• Posting Member
I find Champion's sports bras to be the best. It keeps my breast compressed, and is more comfortable than a vest

Offline MSJ108

under armour and then t-shirt over it

Offline mrsaggs

Thank you everyone for the help.  I've just had a very hard time finding a bra that fits.  How can I tell if I should be wearing a bra and what styles do you recommend?

Offline Bobcat54

• Posting Member
mrsaggs
In previous posts, I have given a way to measure that works well.
As for style, go for a simple design without wire. Playtex is a good choice to start with as their sizing is fairly standard. The rest would be trial and error unless you find the courage to try them on in the store.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Remember, it is just another piece of clothing!

Offline MSJ108

how about ace bandage wrap with under armour shirt. Anything but a bra!! Cmon guys

Offline mrsaggs

I've been having a hard time accepting a bra is the better way to go too but I think that would be far more comfortable than an ACE bandage.  Its just trying to get up enough courage to go to the mall and start trying some on.  From what I've read, underwire bras tend to give the most support and comfort but I'm not entirely sure to be honest.

Offline bman

• Posting Member
  • i have breasts and am proud of them wear a 38b cup
i'm a young man with very pronounced gynecomastia..not man boobs ..very developed breasts that really need support ..sports bras are very restrictive un comfortable .. have found bras with cups more supportive .i wear a 38 c bra most the time ..soft cups the most comfortable, micro fiber or cotton..  under wires the most supportive but they take some getting use too ..and uw bras really show off what you got ..but they are the most supportive. most the time i wear a bra under baggie shirts and no one knows unless i tell them ..a lady friend has been very helpful and supportive.. buys me bras so i won't have to be so embarresed shopping in the womens dept ..she thinks i look better supported ..and i feel more comfortable that's for sure
so guys if you got em support them  it's only under wear  ..bras not for just women any more ..
i have breasts and i wear a bra ...
friends are like a good bra
supportive and comfortable

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024