Author Topic: Surgery with Dr. Karidis COMPLETE! Pre-op AND post-op pics! (30/06/2012)  (Read 12266 times)

Offline LondonGuy

• Posting Member
Hello again people,

scar tissue.

I started to massage 2 days ago, applied some oil and firmly massaged all around. Felt a little sore the next day but not much. Decided to give it another go last night, massaged for a good 30 mins, but I think I went overboard, maybe too hard also.

In the office at the moment and felt some discomfort, went to the bathroom to check it out and there is definitly some more swelling/scar tissue thats popped up below both pecs. Looks visibly lumpy. think i made it worse, or this could just be coincidental.

Any suggestions? Is it best to just do nothing, no massage or anything, and let things settle down a bit on their own? I am only 2.5 weeks post op.

Does scar tissue even go away on its own? or is massage neccessary at this stage to get rid? I've researched it but opinions differ.

Offline rasputin

• Silver Member
Re: Surgery with Dr. Karidis COMPLETE! Pre-op AND post-op pics! (30/06/2012)
I'm not convinced of the supposed benefits of massage to be honest (and arnica tablets too!). I can understand wearing a vest to reduce swelling and maybe massaging to displace and even out fluid - but getting rid of scar tissue?? Seems unlikely to me.

Time is the best healer!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 07:04:40 PM by rasputin »
My Trip Report (Preop & Postop pics).

Offline NO83

• Posting Member
massage is proven to break up scar tissue and there are many on this site who have had benefit from doing so.... If massage fails there is always kenalog injections, but as I have read, you will have to wait a few months post op.  A search on this site, google, youtube, etc will lead you in the right direction.

Offline LondonGuy

• Posting Member
massage is proven to break up scar tissue and there are many on this site who have had benefit from doing so.... If massage fails there is always kenalog injections, but as I have read, you will have to wait a few months post op.  A search on this site, google, youtube, etc will lead you in the right direction.

Yes but does scar tissue not piss off on its own? Massage hurts less now but am just concerned that it can make it worse

Offline NO83

• Posting Member
My doctor said if it hurts to massage, then it's not ready to be massaged, obviously.  I have barely started to massage and I had my surgery on june 25th.  As far as scar tissue resolving on it's own, yes, from what I have read, it does subside on it's own to an extent but massage helps the process.  I have also read that it's better to address the scar tissue with massage while it is in it's beginning stages (i.e. 4-5 weeks after surgery, but "listen" to your body as we all heal differently) instead of waiting until it's mature because it will be a lot tougher to break down if the tissue is "established".  If the scar tissue does not break down fully then kenalog injections are an option too.  Searching this site with keywords like "kenalog", "massage", "scar tissue" etc will provide you with a wealth of information.  Many doctors, as well as many informed members have answered these questions in past posts.  Hope this helps.    

Yes but does scar tissue not piss off on its own? Massage hurts less now but am just concerned that it can make it worse

Offline rasputin

• Silver Member
After doing some research I take back what I said.

I've looked around and it seems to me that there's never an exact timeframe for massage. Scar tissue matures and stops growing at around 3 to 18 months depending on the trauma/person, immature scar tissue requires gentle massage. The consensus is that if it's painful, be gentle - if it's not painful, use various techniques www[dot]integrative-healthcare[dot]org/mt/archives/2007/07/six_massage_tec.html)

Offline LondonGuy

• Posting Member
Thanks for replies guys...

Things have been hectic. Started a GREAT new job today, and my new chest goes extremely well with my new suit :D

I really think this is the start of a better life for me. But obviously healing is difficult and my head occasionally gets filled with doubts. I guess I am already 3.5 weeks post-op. and i'm now doing light massage which seems to be helping already. Taking all my vitamins, etc.

What I'm not sure about is the fact that  still have a significant crater on my left side, but this is more noticeable when I go without the vest for a while. The thing is you can actually see it through a tight shirt if you're looking for it. Perhaps I should keep the vest on still? Hmm, I know its unlikely with karidis, but he very well could have taken too much out, don't you think? I guess we'll see how healing goes, I still think my chest is changing a lot... perhaps this is just what its like from now on as long as I have no pecs, might hit the gym soon...

Aside from that, healing seems to be going well. No more scabs (redness/blackness over nipples came off last week). There has been very little pain so far too, and some feeling returned.

Will try and post update pics tomorrow!

peace out

Offline rasputin

• Silver Member
Would be good to see pics when you get a chance mate!

I think everyone's biggest fear from surgery is either taking too little or taking too much. From what I've read here and from the info sent out by Karidis' patient coordinator things just fill out over time.

I appreciate it must be pretty worrying even in the back of your mind you know it's going to work out. I go under on 11th August and I'm sure I'll be posting up all of the same concerns in my thread too! :D

Offline LondonGuy

• Posting Member
Right, sorry it took so long. Been super busy.

Here are six pictures that illustrate the crater / concaving that i am concurred about. Only week 4 and things seem to be always changing so still hopeful it will all fill out! comments welcome.

Offline LondonGuy

• Posting Member
more...

Offline LondonGuy

• Posting Member
is this a lot?

Total amount of fat aspirated = 650mls (325mls from each side)
Breast gland resection:  Total = 64 grams (34 grams from the right side and 30 grams from the left)

Offline kingboob

I'm not convinced of the supposed benefits of massage to be honest (and arnica tablets too!). I can understand wearing a vest to reduce swelling and maybe massaging to displace and even out fluid - but getting rid of scar tissue?? Seems unlikely to me.

Time is the best healer!
I think arnica is a load of guff - I mean they are homeopathic so basically just water/sugar pills. Having said that they are widely available and fairly cheap so I guess it is down to the individual to decide.

I think gentle massage a few weeks after surgery probably wont do any harm..... but some people on this site (in the past anyway) have advocated aggressive massage using knuckles to 'kneed' the tissues and so on....... that has to be a bad idea?!

Offline kingboob

Here are six pictures that illustrate the crater / concaving that i am concurred about. Only week 4 and things seem to be always changing so still hopeful it will all fill out! comments welcome.
Hi,
from my own experience I can say some denting/cratering will fill out a bit (particularly if you get down the gym with the weights) but not completely.

If you lift your arms above your head/to the sides or flex your pecs does the skin stick to the muscle or move awkwardly? 

I think overall you have a massive improvement over the pre-op situation. It does appear as though maybe a tiny bit too much has come out on one side, but you are still early on in the healing process so some improvements could be seen yet.

I would give it some time before worrying too much...... and of course phone your surgeon if you are really concerned.

Offline LondonGuy

• Posting Member

Hi,
from my own experience I can say some denting/cratering will fill out a bit (particularly if you get down the gym with the weights) but not completely.

If you lift your arms above your head/to the sides or flex your pecs does the skin stick to the muscle or move awkwardly? 

I think overall you have a massive improvement over the pre-op situation. It does appear as though maybe a tiny bit too much has come out on one side, but you are still early on in the healing process so some improvements could be seen yet.

I would give it some time before worrying too much...... and of course phone your surgeon if you are really concerned.

This healing process is so strange.

Basically, I wore my vest again for over 24 hours, took it off for a while, gave everything a  good massage and reapplied the vest. Today I woke up and took it off and things look great. I mean still a bit indented but better. I'm going to start working out, generally at the moment I have high hopes for myself. As the noticeable indentation AT THE MOMENT seems almost entirely down to two things: scar tissue (which is raised and surrounding indent), and too much fat around armpits, which is something that karidis offers to take out too (if you pay for it).

I emailed Dr. K's team and I simply have to wait. I'm slim so its normal that indents look more intense at this stage. I guess I'll have to some mental discipline on this one for a while.

I will keep you guys updated, and thats for taking any bitterness I express with a pinch of salt :D

peace

Offline thetodd

just to echo what Kingboob has said. Ive said in the past to use your knuckles to break down scar tissue, after what i was told on here

DO NOT DO THIS

Its still said on the US side of the board where people say "to get rid of scar tissue, you need to break up the old stuff you can feel it break up when you do it vigourously". I told this to Karidis on my followup and he was horrified, he said infact in doing this you will probably damage the chest muscles and cause scar tissue to form inbetween the muscle lining. So yeah, gentle massage like king said. Frankly its poor aftercare by Karidis's team, i did request it should be in the booklet they send out!

Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024