Author Topic: Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Pope on Sep 15....  (Read 11878 times)

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
Dr Jacobs did the first surgery as well!

I was one of those few unlucky that needed revision! Sometimes life gives you lemons. I am now 3 month post op and looking good!

I think a have remowed a total amount of 2000cc of fatty/fibrous tissue and about 20 grams of stubborn gland and scar tissue. I will never reach perfektion but If I can look like I do right now I would be a very happy camper.
I doubt anybody could tell I had surgery looking at my chest from 1 meter.

Letsfixthis, I have been In your shoes. It probably is an old post here somewhere when I ask doctors to come up with all the complications that could possible happen! I got no answer!
Pleae take my advice. Stop searching for a way to prevent damage. Turn It around look at possibilities. The thing is that the worlds best gynecomastia surgeons are on this forum.

I was very nervous the second time around, It is a major decision. The thing is: A lot of people walk back to the surgeon saying they want a revision. I can tell you straight up, Dr Jacobs would never perform a revision If It he did not feel It was necessary. He looked at me and did a very careful evaluation. He said we are going to revise both sides period.

Do you mind if I ask if there was a cost associated with the revision? I must say that I am shocked because I was under the impression that Dr. Jacobs did not have very many revisions but I guess its true that all plastic surgeons must do revisions except for Dr.Bermant (which has been suggestion that he simple refuses to do revision despite the fact that people still need them)

Is your case of gynecomastia typical or would you say its an extreme case?  2000CC of fat removed is quite a bit I think.

Can you let me know if the revision is due to a crater deformity, nipple depression,etc..?

Do you think plastic surgeon keep track of revision rates? Perhaps this would be on my list of questions.

The only way I am going to get this done is by throwing caution to the wind and just doing it. I can't see to find a doctor that I'm 100% ok with.

I guess I am looking for a plastic surgeon who is what Dr.Bermant claims to be on this website but not retired and with a better attitude.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Viking75

• Bronze Member
Letsfisthis,

I am trying to help people on this site. I try my best not to be rude and produce helpful posts to people that needs It.
I have read many of your posts and I have made up my mind. I do not think I can be of help to you by answering any more questions.
If I was a plastic surgeon having read your posts I would never perform surgery on you. You come on as trouble anyway you look at It.

I do hope you do not feel to offended by this.

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
I am trying to help people on this site. I try my best not to be rude and produce helpful posts to people that needs It.
I have read many of your posts and I have made up my mind. I do not think I can be of help to you by answering any more questions.
If I was a plastic surgeon having read your posts I would never perform surgery on you. You come on as trouble anyway you look at It.

I do hope you do not feel to offended by this.

I am sorry if I have offended you in some way. I did not mean to get person or like I am somehow digging into your business. I was just trying to gain from the experience of people who have previously done this.

My main objective is trying to figure out why things to wrong and doing everything in my power to prevent it from going wrong during my surgery as well as help people from what I have learned.  

When I went to college, there was a book published and people who rate the college professors on all type of different metrics. The purpose of the book was to help future student in the school decide which teacher they would feel most comfortable with as well as tell the college which teachers are doing a good job.

Plastic surgeons are difficult to evaluate because they perform such a wide array of procedures.

I would love it if every plastic surgeon could correct gynecomastia with ease however from what I learned is that this issue is not explained during medical school or the board certification process. It is something that each surgeon must learn on his own making for a wide range of possible surgical methods and outcomes.

I was not trying to make you uncomfortable, just trying to learn as much as I could to prevent a revision myself. This is a very serious issue. Anytime general anesthesia is involved, there is always a risk of not waking up. These are serious risks that should not be taken lightly.

I am in no way trying to insult you, implied or otherwise.

I do not enjoy the surgery process but this is the only way that I can regain my life back. Which I think is true for most of us here.

Its like the old saying goes " Hope for the best and plan for the worse"

Offline EdmondDantes

• Posting Member
OK gang, things have settled down since the surgery but I still have "pointy boobs". It appears to be more fat than breast tissue. I got my weight down quite a bit a year after the surgery but that didn't seem to help. Dr. Pope has agreed for an additional fee to hit it again (likely liposuction only) to try to get the round chest shape that was originally desired. I also paid extra to have my stomach lipoed on round one. It looks pretty good overall but one side (right) is a little larger near the hip. I am hoping while Dr. Pope has the lipo instrument out we can hit this area as well. I am flying to Florida on the 21st for procedure on the 22nd. I am glad Dr. Pope is willing to work toward the desired result. I will keep you all posted and when this surgery settles down I will post the final results.

OK back for an update. It has been over 2.5 years since I had surgery (removed breast tissue, lipo chest, stomach, sides, back) with Dr. Pope. I gave things this long to settle down. It seems there is still too much fat in certain areas (outer, lower) of my chest to get a nice masculine contour no matter how much I build the muscle underneath.

When I wear a T-shirt the nipple area still protrudes which really drives me crazy. This is the primary thing I wanted to get fixed. When I flex the chest muscles seem overlayed with fat on the sides, giving poor pec definition.

I am taking Dr. Pope up on his offer finally to get further liposuction performed on my chest/side and right hip area. I had stomach lipo with Dr. Pope as well and generally pleased with that but the right side still seems to have a little bulge where the left is more flat. I go in tomorrow for this. I will give an update on my thoughts afterward regarding results and the whole process including how I feel this was handled by Dr. Pope. Wish me luck!

Offline EdmondDantes

• Posting Member
I am more than 2 months post op from the second lipo with Dr. Pope and ready to weigh in my opinion. First, Dr. Pope is a very nice guy and I appreciate his bedside manner. No issue there. At this point, I did not achieve the desired result but I do feel I am improved from where I was. Removing the breast tissue was the right choice and certainly worth a try, albeit an expensive try. I am not a doctor and don't know exactly what keeps my breast looking puffy and boobs "pointy" when wearing a t shirt. The skin seems a little loose. From what I have read a fat flap after removing the breast tissue may have provided the scaffolding so the now loose breast could not hang and droop into a bulbous shape. Dr. Bermant who I did speak to once a few years ago (he had a terrible bedside manner and this is what drove me away) may indeed have been the most knowledgeable on how to achieve the best result for my particular situation. He is no longer practicing to my knowledge but for those considering surgery, I would recommend studying his website and recommendations. Here is info on his fat flap procedure and another post made by him on this forum (scroll down a little bit)

plasticsurgery4u.com/procedure_folder/male_breast/fat_flap_sculpture.html

https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/1/fat-flap-sculpture-technique-is-it-neccessary!/

I have nothing against Dr. Pope and do think he tried his best. I also appreciate him giving it a second shot for the cost of an additional $500. I believe he has had some good results with other patients (he has a few pictures that indicate this anyway). I think for my situation something else was needed to provide support to prevent what I described above. I am now back to applying liquid bandage, etc to try to keep things flat when I wear a t-shirt which is a time consuming and an unreliable way to manage "puffy nipples". While this outcome is disappointing I am still glad I at least gave this a try. In hind site I maybe should have gone with Dr. B when he was still operating. One thing I am doing now is really working on building my chest up with more muscle. My hope is that if I create enough chest muscle (maybe I can't) then it will help fill out the loose, puffy nipples that seem unsupported at this point. If I have success with this I will report back here. Good luck to you all!

Offline EdmondDantes

• Posting Member
As a follow up I am posting some pictures (in the following posts) of my current chest/breast. As a recap, I went to Dr. Pope a couple years ago. He removed glandular tissue and did some lipo. I still had the dreaded young woman breast appearance when wearing a tshirt so went in for follow up lipo 3 months ago. I have since worked hard at the gym and my chest is actually quite strong now (bench over 250). I have been working hard on the diet as well.

I am not happy with where we are at and really don't know what could be done to fix this other than some sort of stabilizing fat flap or skin removal or?? Any opinions or ideas?

Offline EdmondDantes

• Posting Member
Some follow up pictures. These are with slightly hard nipples (it was cold). They look even worse when not hard.

Offline EdmondDantes

• Posting Member
More pics...

Offline EdmondDantes

• Posting Member

Offline EdmondDantes

• Posting Member

Offline EdmondDantes

• Posting Member

Offline EdmondDantes

• Posting Member

Offline EdmondDantes

• Posting Member
Bump. Any doctors on here dare to comment?

Offline s00ntobe

• Silver Member
I haven't had surgery but I had what you have, I did incline bench/flat bench and it really helped the sagging

Offline EdmondDantes

• Posting Member
I haven't had surgery but I had what you have, I did incline bench/flat bench and it really helped the sagging

Thanks. I have been hitting the gym hard. My chest is much stronger but still have this annoying puffy nipple situation. It is very disappointing that doctors on here seem to be afraid to answer for fear of offending Dr. Pope who is their colleague (doctors were always quick to respond when I was a candidate for surgery). I will be talking with some other doctors who are willing to assess the situation and report back here.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024