Author Topic: My thoughts on my op with Dr. Karidis  (Read 4686 times)

Offline newlife

• Posting Member
Hi guys

I had my op on the 4th October and I thought that rather than giving a blow by blow account of what happened on the day (as my experience mirrors so many others on here who have used Dr K) I would simply post some observations and feelings about my op and I hope that this helps some of you out there who are thinking about getting their condition sorted.

I am 39 and have suffered from Gyne since puberty so probably for the best part of 25 years! I think that over time I just grew to accept this condition, learnt how to hide it with clothes etc. I have always wanted to do something about it but the turning point for me was whilst on holiday with my kids this summer and I felt I always had to hang back and not get in there and enjoy it and this was all because of my moobs and it was really depressing. Whilst there, I was reading a newspaper (daily mail) and there was an article by one of the Thats Life presenters (Bill Buckley) who was talking about his life with gyne and his op to cure it and his life after gyne. It was really an eye opener (you tend to think you are the only one in the world) as he put down in writing many of the things that I felt but had never said outloud. I showed this article to my wife and told her thats how I felt and we agreed that I could get it sorted. Interestingly, my wife says that she never noticed it and certainly never saw it as a problem! Here is a link to the article online - it may be of use to some of you out there who have difficulty talking about it to those that are close:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1037100/Man-boobs-Former-TV-presenter-Bill-Buckley-talks-frankly-problem-sinister-cause.html

So, thats my background and where this all started.

The first thing that I would like to say is that although I am only 6 days post op, I am absolutely delighted with the results. My chest looks very flat indeed and it is certainly flatter than I would ever ever expected that I could have achieved as I had a particularly severe case of gyne. I am now wearing t shirts that have never seen the light of day and it is a tremendous feeling. I look like I have shed a stone overnight as I can actually wear clothes that fit and not ones that are 2 sizes too big!

In terms of the op, I would advise anyone who is approaching my age or who has a severe problem to pay the extra and stay in hospital overnight. I did this (mainly because it meant I could get the op earlier) and I am glad that I did because I think the combination of my age and the length of the op (and therefore heavier anasthetic) really took its toll on me. I dont think that I could have travelled home on the same day. Also, the care I received whislt there was second to none. The nurse that looked after me was an angel - she kept a close eye on me but wasn't intrusive and made sure I was drinking enough etc. She also looked after my wife whilst I was in theatre, brought her coffee etc which was a nice touch.

I took a week off after the op and again I am really glad that I did as it has taken me until today to feel 'fit and well' again. I havent been ill at all but there is definately an after effect of the anasthetic and the pain killers also knock you around. Anyway, suffice to say that I couldnt have worked this week but I do feel fit and able to work next week. I know it affects us all individually but I would say err on the side of caution as you may also feel rough for a few days.

I have most of the movement back in my arms now and this is improving daily. Driving has not been a problem - I ventured out yesterday for the first time and it was fine.

I have had 2 follow up calls since the op, one from his secretary to see if I was ok and one from Dr K himself who I had a good chat with about the op and recovery. He was v happy with the way things went so that was good news also. He did tell me that he removed 700mls of fat and 10g gland from each side which is an amazing amount and could well be a forum record! However, a lot of this was from under my arms as well as there was quite a store there.

I was scheduled to go into surgery at 4 pm but I didnt actually go down until 5.10pm. Dr K obviously had a v busy day and was running over. That said, he obviously didnt rush my procedure and conducted the whole thing as I would have liked. I must admit that I was worried as time passed that he may be on too tight a schedule to do a thorough job on me but given my results and the amount of fat he took he certainly didnt even cast a glance at the clock. He even found the time to go to talk to my wife about the op whilst I was in the recovery room which again was a nice touch.

On leaving the hospital I was given 2 vests and an assortment of pads and plasters/dressings to get me through the initial recovery period. This was all included in the price.

If you guys have any questions to ask Dr K or his team on the day, I would strongly advise that you write them down because the day will be a blur and you will forget anything the moment you walk through the doors. That said, they all know what they are doing and even if you didnt say anything I am sure it would still all proceed smoothly.

Is there anything I would change? Well I can honestly say No. The whole procedure has been perfect for me and whilst this week has left me feeling rough it is no more than I would have expected.

Would I recommend Dr K? Absolutely, without any doubt. The way he and his team conduct themselves is an absolute credit and I am delighted.

Was it worth the money? Again, yes. I dont feel that it has cost me any more than it should have done. It is not cheap but then nothing that is worth doing ever is.

Apologies if this is a long rambling and not all together well constructed note but I just wanted to give something back to this forum as it has helped me so much in not only finding the right surgeon but also in understanding what to expect and how to deal with it. I hope that this is of use to some of you out there and if you want to post any questions on this thread please do so and I will try to reply as soon as poss.

Thanks for reading,

hadenuf

That is a very good account mate. I am surprised about the anathestic as it did not really effect me too much even though I am a similar age 38. I was ready to go 2 hours after and had to wait until the nurse said I could go. I went to the pub for a meal after and took 2 tube's and felt fine. I think everyone must have a very different reaction to it regardless of age etc.

It sounds like a lot of fat was taken and more gland than me. Did you have more severe gyne than me after seeing my before pics? I too have fat under my arm but it's not bad so maybe why he took nothing from there. A good diet and excercise is a must for me now which should help improove things further.

We are similar in a few ways as I had it from about 13 yrs of age but was over weight at that age so it did not help. So both of us have lived with it for long enough for sure.

Good luck with the recovery and I am really glad you are happy mate!

Offline newlife

• Posting Member
Hi mate,

Thanks for the good wishes. My gyne was fairly similar to yours pre op - probably a bit worse than yours.

I agree with the diet and exercise - it can only make things get better (and this vest looser around the stomach!).

Cheers,

Offline WXYZ

• Bronze Member
I think the level of anasthetic used has more to do with height and weight as opposed to age. I read the article and I'm so surprised that Bill listened to Esther and still went ahead with it. For most of us it's not in our mind and we certainly can tell what are man boobs and what is just body fat. Unfortunately it appears that some others can't tell or maybe they're not to bothered because it's not their problem. Seriously though, if I was him I wouldn't have listened to Esther and go shirtless on national TV. He spent 4K...maybe he went with Karidis?

Offline newlife

• Posting Member
I agree about the height/weight thing - my point really was that I think it may take it's toll more on an older guy.

I also wouldn't have taken my shirt off for Esther no matter how much she nagged. It's a really good article and puts into words how I and I suspect many forum members feel.

As for the doctor, it's a shame he didn't say. Could be Dr K but then again £4k seems to be a pretty much standard fee for a UK op.

Offline Roversboy

• Posting Member
I must have missed this thread before, great write up, we are similar ages so I know exactly what you mean, reading that has refoccussed me & now I can't wait for the weekend ;D ;D ;D
Surgery : 25th October 2008
Surgeon : A Karidis

Offline newlife

• Posting Member
Things going well - I have a bit of pain that has come and gone this week and a little bit of swelling has come this week but still very happy - just goes to show that this healing thing really does take months. Mind you, I havent worn a baggy T shirt since the vest came off which is liberating after 25 years of them!

There was an article in the sun the other day about a man who had moobs and got into all sorts of difficulties in his life as a result. He ended up having an op and is now on track to sorting himself out. However, the interesting (and very annoying) thing about the article was the comment by the Suns resident doctor who said that moobs could be sorted out simply by dieting and there was no need for surgery! This guy obviously has either no idea about or compassion for the condition. He wants to come on here and see some of the guys who are stick thin with six packs and still having moobs! Thank goodness for forums such as this otherwise we all may be stuck on that dieting and low self image bandwagon with no idea as to how to resolve it.

On a lighter note, I received a Christmas Card from Dr Karadis and his team this morning - a really nice touch I thought.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 06:03:40 AM by newlife »

Offline Toby1971

• Posting Member
The popular media in general are clueless about lots of things. It was only when the internet became popular that I really started to notice this. They have an air of authority that simply isn't justified but people will trust them. How many poor guys reading that article will now be convinced that exercise will get rid of their moobs. Its lazy, irresponsible reporting. It wouldn't take 5 minutes of web research to find out the reality of gynecomastia. Then again my own GP was just as bad, he said it would fade after 6 months.

I've always said forums are one of the best things about the internet. If you want to get the best advice on ANY topic forums are the place to go. You just have to develop your BS filter but all the good info is there whether its best broadband provider or best moob removal surgeon!

Offline Albion71

• Bronze Member
I think, hope, it will change with time as people become more web savvy. Forums like this are greating for 'outing' medical truths.

I'm sure many people now have far happier lives as a result of this forum.

Offline Bigdom

• Silver Member
I agree about the height/weight thing - my point really was that I think it may take it's toll more on an older guy.

I'm not sure if it makes any difference.  I'm 37, 195cm & 112kg and i was fine - discharged next day.  I think people just react differently to it.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024