Author Topic: Fat Boys, ask your Dr for this diet pill  (Read 15483 times)

Offline wildman

• Posting Member
I don't think I'm breaking any rules by posting this so here goes.

I was very overweight with severe pseudo gyno and wanted to lose as much weight as possible before having surgery.  I ask my Dr. if there was any diet pill that might help.  He prescribed a diet pill called Phentermine (37.5mg).  This stuff worked like hell.  I have been on diets all my life and at some point, either the hunger or fatigue would cause me to go off my diet. When I took this as prescribed I felt no hunger or fatigue when dieting.  I was able to cut my caloric intake down to 1000-1500 cals/day with no problem.  If you are a big guy you know how much weight you can lose if you can do this.

I may get some criticism for posting this because if you do your research you will find that Phentermine is basically an amphetamine.  However, if you have a lot of weight to lose and have had trouble dieting in the past, a few months of this is a big help.  Losing the weight will help you much more than the drug will ever hurt you.  I started out at 350 lbs and am now down to 295.  I want to lose another 50 before surgery.

Advice on getting this drug prescribed:
I live in the US and most of the time if you ask your Dr. for a weight loss drug they will give you what the big pharmaceutical companies are pushing. :'( Right now that is Meridia.  Don't waste your time and money on that junk.  Phentermine was invented in the 50's and the only way to get it is to ask.  If your Dr. won't write for it simply take the Meridia script and go back in a month and say you still felt a lot of hunger and fatigue.  You'll be telling the truth too.  Trust me.  Ask for Phentermine again and if they still won't write for it go to another Dr.

This is how I took it to get the most out of it:
I ate no breakfast and took the pill around 10:30 am.  Don't eat until you are hungry.  For me that was around 4:00 pm.  When you do eat, eat moderate portions of healthy food.  It's easy because you won't want to eat much.  I would also eat a small supper around 8:30.  By doing that I have lost 55 pounds in 5 months and did it with no hunger or fatigue.  Easiest weight I've ever lost!  When taking Phentermine throw out the idea of 3 meals a day and stuff like having lunch at 12:00 even if you aren't hungry.  The greatest thing about taking this was not only did I not feel tired or hungry, I just was not interested in eating. 

Drawbacks and caveats:
I wouldn't worry about the side effects much.  There are supposed to be jitters, nervousness etc.  I didn't experience any of this.  Do try to get as much out of it as you can in the first few months though because your body will build a tolerance to it after about 6-8 months.  Then you may start to feel hungry and tired again when dieting.  You can still diet and lose weight, you just can't diet as intensely as when you take the drug.  Also, be aware that there is a nonprescription supplement out there that just changes he spelling slightly (Phentramine?) and claims to do the same thing.  I haven't tried it but heard it was junk.

You still need to commit yourself to a healthy diet and exercise.  All I'm saying is if you are one who has a lot of weight to lose and 30-50 pounds would be a big jump start to you, then this is a diet drug you should seriously consider.  It has worked great for me.

Sorry if this was a little long but I hope this will help someone.

Offline mattmando

• Bronze Member
this drug should def. not be used ona long term basis.  its going to increase your heart rate and cause your heart to work more.  Think about it when your body is in sympathic mode ( fight or flight mode) all time is just not natural.  there is a new drug its actually going to be over the counter called Alli.  its an interesting concept.  It inhibits fat absorption in the body.  So there is no stimulant effect.  but with this you need to eat well and also take vitamins because your body won't absorb some of the fat soluble vits (A,D,E,K).  also ask yr pharmacist or dr. if your on any drugs before you take this.

Offline notobvious

• Bronze Member
or, you could just use willpower. If the desire to lose the weight isn't enough on it's own, then why are you dieting in the first place?

Offline wildman

• Posting Member
or, you could just use willpower. If the desire to lose the weight isn't enough on it's own, then why are you dieting in the first place?
For me willpower was good for 5 or 6 lbs a month but with phentermine I was able to do 8-12 lbs a month.  When you are very overweight and have a tendency to lose weight slowly those extra few pounds mean a lot over a 3 month period.  Especially if you want to do as much as you can to correct the situation as I did.  Willpower and losing weight naturally is probably better for you.  Not having to feel hungry and run down all the time plus the extra results made it worth it for me.

My blood pressure and pulse rate are both at a much healthier level now that some of the weight is gone too.  For me the benefits out weighed the risk.  Most drugs have scary or daunting side effects but I didn't encounter any of them with this.  I didn't abuse the drug and with the brief period on it I don't expect to encounter anything negative from it. 

Offline wildman

• Posting Member
this drug should def. not be used ona long term basis.  its going to increase your heart rate and cause your heart to work more.  Think about it when your body is in sympathic mode ( fight or flight mode) all time is just not natural.  there is a new drug its actually going to be over the counter called Alli.  its an interesting concept.  It inhibits fat absorption in the body.  So there is no stimulant effect.  but with this you need to eat well and also take vitamins because your body won't absorb some of the fat soluble vits (A,D,E,K).  also ask yr pharmacist or dr. if your on any drugs before you take this.

Alli does sound interesting.  I'd like to hear what results people have gotten from it.  I think I'm going to ask around about it.

About that fight or flight mode.  When taking phentermine that is the message that your brain is being sent that suppresses the hungry felling.  I didn't feel hungry so I guess that was happening with me.  My brain may have been getting that message but I didn't feel like I was in "fight or flight" mode.  Feeling like that all the time would have driven me crazy.   

Offline mattmando

• Bronze Member
well there is a difference in your body just tollerating it well and not actually happening.  I am sure if most people checked thier vitals (heart rate, bp) on phentermine vs. not on phentermine there would be a big difference. 

about alli, its new to hit over the counter but it used to be a drug called Xenical that was prescription only.  However, the otc is half the strength.  I think thats a healther alternative.  I had liposuction of my abdomen and love handles so who am i to preach whats healthier huh?

Offline notobvious

• Bronze Member
For me willpower was good for 5 or 6 lbs a month but with phentermine I was able to do 8-12 lbs a month.  When you are very overweight and have a tendency to lose weight slowly those extra few pounds mean a lot over a 3 month period.  Especially if you want to do as much as you can to correct the situation as I did.  Willpower and losing weight naturally is probably better for you.  Not having to feel hungry and run down all the time plus the extra results made it worth it for me.

My blood pressure and pulse rate are both at a much healthier level now that some of the weight is gone too.  For me the benefits out weighed the risk.  Most drugs have scary or daunting side effects but I didn't encounter any of them with this.  I didn't abuse the drug and with the brief period on it I don't expect to encounter anything negative from it. 
Well, I started dieting on the 29th of April(using willpower alone), limiting myself to 1500 calories a day and exercising, and so far i've lost 20lbs in 5 weeks, so a rate of 16lbs a month(start weight was 216). Seeing as eating unhealthily was really messing up my body, I don't think taking amphetemines to lose the weight is really going to change much at all, exept the obvious physical. I do feel hungry sometimes, but in the long run I think that's worth it.

Offline wildman

• Posting Member
Wow Notobvious!

With results like that you have no need for any kind of weight loss drug or even supplement.  If I could lose weight that fast I know I wouldn't consider taking anything.  With me though I would lose maybe 8 lbs in 5 weeks and if I went off my diet for even a week I could gain most of it back.  Then I would have to start at square one again.  Thing is, it wasn't like I went on a one week calorie fest or anything.  I would eat 2200-2600 calories a day, ( a maintenance level for my weight), get on the scales and show a 6 lbs GAIN.  It was taking forever to lose weight that way.   That, coupled with the fact that my gyne was bothering me more and more, is why I ask my doctor for help.   

Not trying to get off the subject but you share your exercise regimen?   

Offline notobvious

• Bronze Member
erm, i'm doing the couch-to-5k running program from coolrunning.com which is great: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I also do 15 burpees, 20 starjumps and 20 situps/crunches a day.

I was also doing about 10 minutes of skipping with a rope a day but I started getting shin splints so I stopped - I will probably start again soon though.

It sucks your weight was fluctuating like that - have you been to an endo and had your hormones checked before?

Offline wildman

• Posting Member
Never been to an endo before.  I may ask my Dr about that.

Offline user name

• Posting Member
I don't think I'm breaking any rules by posting this so here goes.

I was very overweight with severe pseudo gyno and wanted to lose as much weight as possible before having surgery.  I ask my Dr. if there was any diet pill that might help.  He prescribed a diet pill called Phentermine (37.5mg).  This stuff worked like hell.  I have been on diets all my life and at some point, either the hunger or fatigue would cause me to go off my diet. When I took this as prescribed I felt no hunger or fatigue when dieting.  I was able to cut my caloric intake down to 1000-1500 cals/day with no problem.  If you are a big guy you know how much weight you can lose if you can do this.

I may get some criticism for posting this because if you do your research you will find that Phentermine is basically an amphetamine.  However, if you have a lot of weight to lose and have had trouble dieting in the past, a few months of this is a big help.  Losing the weight will help you much more than the drug will ever hurt you.  I started out at 350 lbs and am now down to 295.  I want to lose another 50 before surgery.

Advice on getting this drug prescribed:
I live in the US and most of the time if you ask your Dr. for a weight loss drug they will give you what the big pharmaceutical companies are pushing. :'( Right now that is Meridia.  Don't waste your time and money on that junk.  Phentermine was invented in the 50's and the only way to get it is to ask.  If your Dr. won't write for it simply take the Meridia script and go back in a month and say you still felt a lot of hunger and fatigue.  You'll be telling the truth too.  Trust me.  Ask for Phentermine again and if they still won't write for it go to another Dr.

This is how I took it to get the most out of it:
I ate no breakfast and took the pill around 10:30 am.  Don't eat until you are hungry.  For me that was around 4:00 pm.  When you do eat, eat moderate portions of healthy food.  It's easy because you won't want to eat much.  I would also eat a small supper around 8:30.  By doing that I have lost 55 pounds in 5 months and did it with no hunger or fatigue.  Easiest weight I've ever lost!  When taking Phentermine throw out the idea of 3 meals a day and stuff like having lunch at 12:00 even if you aren't hungry.  The greatest thing about taking this was not only did I not feel tired or hungry, I just was not interested in eating. 

Drawbacks and caveats:
I wouldn't worry about the side effects much.  There are supposed to be jitters, nervousness etc.  I didn't experience any of this.  Do try to get as much out of it as you can in the first few months though because your body will build a tolerance to it after about 6-8 months.  Then you may start to feel hungry and tired again when dieting.  You can still diet and lose weight, you just can't diet as intensely as when you take the drug.  Also, be aware that there is a nonprescription supplement out there that just changes he spelling slightly (Phentramine?) and claims to do the same thing.  I haven't tried it but heard it was junk.

You still need to commit yourself to a healthy diet and exercise.  All I'm saying is if you are one who has a lot of weight to lose and 30-50 pounds would be a big jump start to you, then this is a diet drug you should seriously consider.  It has worked great for me.

Sorry if this was a little long but I hope this will help someone.

sorry but you cant beat a clean diet and excersize. it just takes a little will power!

Offline mouse88

• Posting Member
I agree with most of the people here, amphetamines are bad news unless they are absolutely necessary. Also, you should probably eat breakfast and skip dinner, not the other way around.

Offline user name

• Posting Member
i would suggest these pills to anyone who is weak willed and wants an easy way out. they are perfect if you like to maintain eating like crap and feeling like crap, and want to have heart failure. otherwise stay away from the diet pills, grow some balls, and get your diet in order.

Offline Gcp

• Posting Member
Im down to 1400-1500 calories a day by doing a regular diet with no weight loss pills.. All I eat is whole wheat pasta (very fucking important) and chicken for my protein and fat. 

Offline user name

• Posting Member
Im down to 1400-1500 calories a day by doing a regular diet with no weight loss pills.. All I eat is whole wheat pasta (very fucking important) and chicken for my protein and fat. 

honestly this diet could probably use alot of work. unless you are 120lbs you are eating too little!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024