Author Topic: Third time is the charm....  (Read 2451 times)

Offline jones

I used to be on this site a few years ago - however I cant seem to find my old article..

Ill start from the beginning.

I am 22 years old. So far I have had 2 operations in my life, one at a young age of about 14, the other at about 16/17. Both times I have thought that this is the end of the road for me - however I never was that pleased with the results.

Last time I posted here (under a different name - as I said, I cannot find it) I wrote about the struggle of being a teenager with Gynecomastia. Now I write it from a young professionals point of view. Obviously, the whole never take the tshirt off has become a "standard" in my life (however I learnt to love vests when I was at University) - however this is not the point of my story this time round.

Every day since the last operation (I think sometime in 2001) I have thought about it. In my eyes nothing really changed. At the time, my parents, who were very supportive saw how much this was killing me inside, and so paid for the operation (my first was done on the NHS at a Childrens hospital). However for me, nothing changed. My state of mind was still as it was - and altho I might have looked a little better, I still was not what I would call 'normal'.

It was the TV show a few months ago (The BBC show, I think called - My Man Boobs and I) which actually got me back thinking about operations. I hadnt even heard of it, but yet, the one time I sat down to watch some TV, and it was on - too much of a coincidence!

I have recently finished University, and got myself a job. Most people would think about buying a car, or a house, etc - not me. There is only one thing I could think of doing with my money - and that is my third operation to hopefully put this to sleep once and for all.

I have arranged a meeting with the surgeon from last time - who was bloody good, but told me that I was a little too young last time - obviously wont be the case now.

Why am I spilling my guts out now?
Well, Ideally I could do with some advice. Will this third time be the charm?

Also, before/after the operations last time my head was all over the place - is it uncommon to get some counselling? Because I think for me, that is a must. I cant be living like this for much longer. Slowly but surely it kills you inside.

Also, is it uncommon to have 2, or 3 operations for this?

At the moment I am a little confused. I go see my surgeon on Thursday - and I could just do with getting my head a bit straight.

Apologies if it didnt make too much sense - I havent spoken to anyone about it - I find it something I want to talk about, but physically cant (if you know what I mean).

Anyway, Thanks for reading - if you have any comments or questions feel free to reply.

Jones.

Offline jones

Just thought I would keep you updated.

I go for my operation tomorrow morning - being my 2nd time with the same surgeon - he gave me a little discount.. Still not cheap, but it's not about the money - I dont care how long it takes to pay it back.

I will get some pictures up soon - before and after :)

Wish me luck!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024