Author Topic: cimetidine  (Read 11838 times)

Offline bennett11

• Posting Member
Anyone here developed rather severe gyne from taking cimitidine at high dose for some time and have adjusted to it?

Offline il_gorilla

• Posting Member
I took cimetidine regularly when I was 19. I believe it prevented the natural resolution of the gynecomastia I developed as a teenager.

Avoid it if you already suffer from Gyne.  :-\

Offline bennett11

• Posting Member
I am an older guy who now has what I judge to be moderate gyne whether from taking cimetidine (tagemet), age or other meds.  I have accepted having larger breasts - must admit I sort enjoy having them but attitude would be considerably different if I was much younger.  Majority of older men have mild to moderate gyne and most seem to accept it.   

Cimetidine was the first H2 inhibitor developed - inhibit gastric acid secretion.  It is available over the counter in the USA and is pretty cheap.  I suffer from GERD and plan to continue taking cimetidine.  I prefer not getting severe gyne where one has to wear a bra for support.  But I guess I run the risk of preceding to that state.  I wouldn't be a first though. 

Cimetidine is apparently a weak anti-androgen and blocks one mechanism of the metabolism of estradiol which increases the estradiol level in the body.  Both males and females produce this estrogen.  It is the estradiol which stimulates breast tissue to grow.

Offline il_gorilla

• Posting Member
Yes. It didn't provoke further growth but it seemed to halt the natural resolution of my gyne in it's tracks (it was on it's way out).

I don't imagine that the drug alone would be enough to actually increase your breast size.

Offline bennett11

• Posting Member
Guess I will find out.  Have chatted with one middle aged guy who said he grew to dd cup breast by taking cimetidine - for some years.

Offline radic

• Posting Member
I have moderate gyne... and started taking cimetidine 400 mg per day a few years back.  At that dose, at least for me, it has not increased my breast size.  Your mileage may  vary.

-radic

Offline bennett11

• Posting Member
the recommended dosage for GERD is 800 mg twice a day for some period of time.  It is that regime that promotes gynecomastia.

Offline industry7

• Posting Member
I've heard that Tagamet can also lower libido to the point where you have no interest in sex and/or can't get erections.  Has anyone here had side effects that were that strong when taking this?

Offline angel_allen

• Silver Member
not just tagament but any drug that upsets the testosterone/estrogen balance in favour of lower T OR higher E will lower libido & promote breast growth. Not a lot of difference between men & women really, it ALL to do with the hormone balance.
The only other thing that can give you gyne is cancer!:-*

Offline radic

• Posting Member

HUH????

Offline angel_allen

• Silver Member

HUH????

"HUH???" YES,well some tumours can actually sectrete hormones. (estrogen, prolactin) sounds bizarre I know but it isnt that uncommon. Look it up if ya dont beleive me1

Offline angel_allen

• Silver Member
Hi

It is really the pressure from a non-cancerous brain tumor on the Pituitary Gland that causes prolactin and some other hormones to have weird levels. If the tumor gets so big that it destroys the Pituitary Gland then all kinds of crap can happen.

William

Yes a pituitary adnoma (spelling?) IS the usual cause for weird hormone levels. however, it is possible to have a tumour ANYWHERE in the body that secretes hormones!
Tumours are weird things they can grow into ANY other cells they choose. I saw a pic once of a tumour that had been removed from someones belly that had teeth & hair inside it! YUK!
happy new year! :D

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024