Author Topic: doctor laughed at me  (Read 9798 times)

Offline wolfiehowl

When I was 13 and first went to the doctors about my breast, I only have it on the right side she laughed at me as soon as I took my shirt off.  It has taken me almost 12 years to decide to go see another doctor but I am kinda nervous.  My whole life in high school has been one of tremendous fear and anxiety and I just want a little relief.  I just discovered this post and felt like getting this out into the open I don't even have a doctor right tow but if anyone knows any good doctors in Portland please let me know I am a blue cross blue shield member.

Offline Twin Peaks

• Silver Member
Check for plastic surgeons in your area.  Many of them will give free consultations. 

Offline jackson318

• Posting Member
Hey wolfi - sorry to hear about your early experiences, but applaud your courage to have that looked into now.

I'm assuming you mean Portland OR and not ME.  I'm in PDX and consulted with Dr Richard Busby and Dr Kathleen Waldorf.  I decided to go with the former; he just seemed a little more up front and experienced with the procedure and I'm more confortable with a male doctor. I'm scheduled for surgery on the seventeenth.  Both seemed competent and said the same things (excision and lipo) and for the gyno were priced within $200 of each other.  Each charged $50 for the consult.

If you search around in the boards for it, you'll find some Seattle doctors that people have recommended too.  I really wasn't up for driving out of town for it.

Offline 9Wolf

• Bronze Member
  • Seize the day! Be free of your burden...
Hey, don't feel bad, I hear you and went through the same sh*t, too. When I was a kid, on one occasion, the doctor took her finger and put it under my breast and lifted it up and down, jiggling it like a toy and said, "What's this???", as if I would know while she didn't. I was so embarrassed. There were another one or two other occasions like that, but once you're older I'm sure the doctors will think twice before opening their mouths to a full-grown adult the same way.

A plastic surgeon, one who has experience with gynecomastia will in no way make fun of you like that, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about. They've seen many cases, hopefully.
Triple Surgery done in Chandigarh, India (Jan 10, 2008):
1. Gynecomastia Surgery (simultaneously with #2)
2. Tonsillectomy
3. Septoplasty (5 days after #1 and 2)

3 lifelong problems wiped out in a flash of knives... Now recovering and excited beyond belief. :)

Offline wolfiehowl

thanks alot for your replies I just really needed to get that off my chest.  Now to get it off literally.

Offline dcvet

• Silver Member
Do some research, find where she lives or works, then slash her tires.  It'll make twelve years of pain go away real quick.

On a serious note:  Doctors that do this (especially to young kids who's personalities are not developed yet) need to get their license yanked.

Offline 9Wolf

• Bronze Member
  • Seize the day! Be free of your burden...
............... I agree that that lady is a douchbag, but did she actually try to help you after she laughed or what? What happened next? Personally I would rather have a doctor who laughs than one that treats it as if it's not a problem.

Nothing... she didn't do a damn thing, or say anything about it at all to me or my parents after. All the doctors that I saw when I was a kid just ignored it, and when we brought it up a few times, they would just say it will go away and that's it, even though mine was very severe from the get go.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
When I was 13 and first went to the doctors about my breast, I only have it on the right side she laughed at me as soon as I took my shirt off.

Over the years, I have found that females tend to smirk, giggle, laugh at those with gyne. Males on the other hand tend to put the screws to you 'verbally'. Cracking jokes and the like....

That funny grin (sorta like the Grinchs' devilish grin) that girls get, I call the 'Demonic Smile'.... I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about....

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Jay999

• Bronze Member
How unprofessional. Doctors should be polite and respectful to their patients, especially young ones. This woman obviously has no idea how it feels for you.

should of punched her in the teeth
How long's that gonna hurt her for, a few days at most? She hurt this poor guy for 12 years. And for me emotional pain can hurt a whole lot more than physical pain.

get her fired, and her medical license revoked - that'll hurt for a while.

Offline Sargent Pepper

• Posting Member
It's really god damn stupid how people are actually considering getting back at others for making fun of them. I bet if you didn't suffer from Gyne, you'd make fun of those who did - because of your ignorance. Thank god you're informed and have the sense not to poke fun at emotionally twisting medical conditions. Don't be a douche and plot some sort of revenge on people who don't know about it extensively enough not to laugh.

Offline Sargent Pepper

• Posting Member
People who don't know about it extensively? This lady was a doctor! And she didn't even help the kid after she laughed!

As far as I'm concerned she deserves to have acid thrown in her face. Or someone throw lighter fluid in her face and then flick a lit match on her.

And if any doctor ever laughs at me for it that's what I will probably do. Because my life is sh*t, and if you're a doctor that means you have a lot of $$$ and a good life, who has more to lose? I'd gladly go to jail for the rest of my miserable life as long as it means some a$$hole who laughed at me is now deformed as well.

Get over yourself, you might suffer from Gyne, and I know it's bad. But, you aren't crippled.

Offline angel_allen

• Silver Member
F*cks sake man, get real! she was having a laugh!
You need to lighten up a bit. (slash her tyres? jesus! some people need locked up in the nuthouse!)
My (female) doc , when I went to see her about a funny mark on my male thingy, laughed & said "its like a penis but smaller!"
 Didnt bother me as i knew she was just breaking the ice with a joke.

Offline Beacher

I wouldn't ignore this nor would I do anything illegal.  Slashing tires, acid in face?, you're gonna mess up your life quite a few more years getting caught committing a felony.  And I thought my speeding tickets looked bad on my record.  But a doctor laughing.  That is damn right ridiculous and what you should do is direct a letter stating the incident to the doctor's supervisor and clinic president, to state and federal license medical boards, to any organizations that deal with doctor complaints.  Include specific information on your condition over the years.  You may even contact a lawyer.  Have no idea on the specifics, it may not do much, or it may get this lady in some serious hot water.  Either way it's worth because she'll think twice before ever doing it again.  You may even save some other kid the kind of additional torment you went through.  I have never in my life been laughed at by a doctor over any condition and as a kid or now grown up, I would be pissed.     
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 09:57:26 AM by Beacher »

pjnIL

I have found the best kind of doctor for someone with gyno is a fat doctor.  I am fat and have gyno.  I have had great luck with heavier doctors.  I have had good luck with thin doctors.  I find male doctors are better for this because they won't laugh.   They will think what it would be like to have breasts and won't laugh.  Women doctors do not seem to understand as much.

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
When I was a kid, on one occasion, the doctor took her finger and put it under my breast and lifted it up and down, jiggling it like a toy and said, "What's this???"

That is so bizarre....and creepy.  I can see how that would scar you for life...what a bitch
Surgery done 18th March 2008

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024