Author Topic: To any Dr, or whoever about revision *Revision COMPLETED  (Read 22644 times)

Offline KryptoKnight

• Silver Member
  • surgery worth every penny
Can revision be done 3 months after the initial surgery?

My Dr sort of didn't do lipo because my chest looked as if it was more muscular than anything but yeah, we both were wrong on that.  Anyways I was wondering if lipo can be done 3 months after surgery?  I want to take care of as soon as I can (such as now).  My 3rd followup is on Tuesday and figured I'd ask here before I ask the Doc.

As you can see my chest is still rather large; now however the point that I had under the nipple is gone and when I flex I cannot feel any glandular tissue under the nip but there are definitely fatty deposits all over my chest.  I have actually started cardio just this week and we will see how that goes, though my chest is still super disproportional even to my stomach.  I by no means have a low BF%, and I'm skeptical about the fat going away from my chest once I do reach a low BF%. 

I assume this is pseudogyne of it's not concentrated in one area?

For those thinking it's not that bad I agree, but if I'm going to drop 6k+ on a surgery I wanna be damn happy about it :|
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 05:04:22 PM by KryptoKnight »

DrBermant

Can revision be done 3 months after the initial surgery?

My Dr sort of didn't do lipo because my chest looked as if it was more muscular than anything but yeah, we both were wrong on that.  Anyways I was wondering if lipo can be done 3 months after surgery?  I want to take care of as soon as I can (such as now).  My 3rd followup is on Tuesday and figured I'd ask here before I ask the Doc.

As you can see my chest is still rather large; now however the point that I had under the nipple is gone and when I flex I cannot feel any glandular tissue under the nip but there are definitely fatty deposits all over my chest.  I have actually started cardio just this week and we will see how that goes, though my chest is still super disproportional even to my stomach.  I by no means have a low BF%, and I'm skeptical about the fat going away from my chest once I do reach a low BF%. 

I assume this is pseudogyne of it's not concentrated in one area?

For those thinking it's not that bad I agree, but if I'm going to drop 6k+ on a surgery I wanna be damn happy about it :|

3 months is typically too soon for revision surgery.  Tissue normally needs to heal and evolve before deciding what options are possible.

Standard After Gynecomastia Surgery Pictures can better demonstrate contour issues.  However, the in office evaluation is always better.

Weight loss before plastic surgery is usually better than weight loss after.  It is hard to pick where the weight comes from.  Before a revision, finding out what changes happen with the weight loss can be of great value.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline KryptoKnight

• Silver Member
Thanks it did.  I guess I'll try to cut down my BF as much as I can before I consider a revision with my Doc since the choice will become much clearer then.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Maybe I'm missing something, but I think your chest looks good.  Do you feel like you have gland tissue still present?  You have large pec muscles; do you feel like there's excess tissue in front of the muscle?

Regarding revision surgery, it varies with the anatomic area involved.  Certain areas of the body take longer for swelling to resolve than others, particularly the tip of the nose.  I don't usually revise nose surgery for a year, but other areas resolve a little faster.  With regard to chests, I will want to wait at least 3 months, preferably longer.

You mention the cost of revision surgery.  Does your postop result bother you that much?  It looks good in the photos.

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline KryptoKnight

• Silver Member
I appreciate the comments.  In terms of excess tissue, there is definitely some towards my upper chest.  While I probably do have large pec muscles since when I flex there's barely anything to grab around my nipple, there is a decent amount to grab on my upper chest.

Oh and what I meant about the cost of surgery is that I payed 6k+ originally but I believe my doc does revisions for free so if possible I would want to get this fixed, though apparently it's not as big of a problem as I'm making it out to be.

I'll try to cut down my bf% and see how it goes from there; I know surgery is still a big deal and yeah I don't really want to go back to the healing process again if I don't have to.

Offline Spleen

irish lad

in my opininon your chest looks good you would never know you,v had surgery.. iv a pretty similar problem to yours when i flex my chest but i didnt have the op yet.. do you feel comfterable wearing t-shirts etc?..

Offline KryptoKnight

• Silver Member
do you feel comfterable wearing t-shirts etc?..

naw this is my biggest problem is wearing t-shirts.  Actually I feel more comfortable with my shirt off than on... I'm just going to try to drop some BF enough where I can see my abs (never been accomplished by me)

irish lad

yes i know what you mean about the t-shirts for me thats reason enough to get the op aswell you not feeling comfterable overall...

good luck with everthing hope it works out for you!

Offline KryptoKnight

• Silver Member
Updated pictures: Taken today on 5/31/08 almost 5 months after surgery which was on 1/9/08

There is still some slight scarring more on my right nipple than my left which might give the impression that it's a little more puffy.

Now even though I still think it was a mistake for my doc not to do lipo I've come to realize that I have large pectoralis muscles hence my bigger than average chest.  There is still some fatty tissue around but rather than go back into surgery for lipo I figured I can just try to drop some BF and go from there.

I've been doing cardio for almost a month now and it's been going well as well as hitting the weights hard.  I visited the doctor recently and he said it looked fine; I asked him about lipo and he said it's mainly muscle so I'm just not going to bother right now and just wait and see after the summer is over.  I've actually become pretty comfortable with taking my shirt off and going to the beach and what not so I don't need lipo to ruin my summer for me right now where I won't be able to do anything for a while.

So overall I am happy (though not ecstatic) about my results and we'll see what happens in the near future when I try to drop my bodyfat low enough to see my abs.  Also had to mention that I'm sure most all of the gland was taken out so that is not a concern of mine anymore.

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
Hello KK,
I agree with the previous doctors statements. Here is something that is worth a try. It is not unreasonable to ask your ps to perform a mild to moderately agressive, localized liposuction under local anesthesia. This can be done conveniently and with little pain in the office setting. It can be done as soon as the swelling and firmness has resolved from the initial operation. I am assuming that there is some residual fat. This can only be determined by examination.
If you are reasonable about the results the ps will usually be happy to do it for the cost of the procedure with minimal to no surgeon's fee. The cost is much less than what it would be under general anesthesia. Remember, the ps wants you to make you happy.

Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newport Beach, CA
Dr. Cruise
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

Offline MSJ108

[quote author=Dr. Pope link=topic=13673.msg95333#msg95333 date=1207970185]
Maybe I'm missing something, but I think your chest looks good.  Do you feel like you have gland tissue still present?  You have large pec muscles; do you feel like there's excess tissue in front of the muscle?

Regarding revision surgery, it varies with the anatomic area involved.  Certain areas of the body take longer for swelling to resolve than others, particularly the tip of the nose.  I don't usually revise nose surgery for a year, but other areas resolve a little faster.  With regard to chests, I will want to wait at least 3 months, preferably longer.

You mention the cost of revision surgery.  Does your postop result bother you that much?  It looks good in the photos.

Dr. Pope, M.D.
[/quote]

I agree

Offline KryptoKnight

• Silver Member
Quote from: Dr. Cruise link=topic=13673.msg100941#msg100941 date=1212732831
Hello KK,
I agree with the previous doctors statements. Here is something that is worth a try. It is not unreasonable to ask your ps to perform a mild to moderately agressive, localized liposuction under local anesthesia. This can be done conveniently and with little pain in the office setting. It can be done as soon as the swelling and firmness has resolved from the initial operation. I am assuming that there is some residual fat. This can only be determined by examination.
If you are reasonable about the results the ps will usually be happy to do it for the cost of the procedure with minimal to no surgeon's fee. The cost is much less than what it would be under general anesthesia. Remember, the ps wants you to make you happy.

Dr. Cruise
Newport Beach, CA

Thanks for the response.  It seems that it's possible I go back to my PS after the summer to get the rest lipo'd away.  I understand it looks good but there's also stuff that can be taken out, I'm sure of this.  Unfortunately my PS doesn't seem to believe that there's anything that needs to be done to my chest and it's possible that from an overall standpoint, the surgery was a success, but it does still bother me. 

The way that I know that I have some extra fatty deposits is when I flex, my upper chest seems to sort of "inflate" which seems that the fat gets pushed up and I can actually grab some fat.  I don't know if that makes sense...

I'm not quite sure how to approach my PS about this; I've definitely decided to wait after the summer since I will still enjoy going to the beach, but from someone who enjoys bodybuilding, I do not want to be stuck with this chest if there's something that can be done about it.  The only negative thing I have to say about my PS is that it's hard to ask him for something because he seems so stoked on the results... I guess I'll try to be more "forceful" about it, I dunno.

Offline KryptoKnight

• Silver Member
Update:  I'll be calling my PS on the next office hours and will ask to meet about a revision.  Just the thought of dropping 6.5k on a surgery that I'm not super happy about makes me sick to my stomach and it would be stupid of me not to ask for a revision, even if there is a small fee (although revisions are free from my PS I believe). 

Many people have said it looks fine but I think it's dumb to just go on with life feeling so-so about my chest when in actuality I know it can be much better. 

I think my PS and I underestimated the amount of fatty tissue and/or gland on my chest, there's no way that my chest is really that muscular because I can feel a lot of fatty deposits. 

I have also managed to lose 7 pounds (from 170-163) which I'm very very happy about, and it's been a pretty noticeable difference.  Not to mention I continue to put up numbers in the gym so I know my muscle mass has gone up too.  My chest is really the one bodypart that hasn't really changed with my weight loss.  I will however continue to lose weight, not just for the purpose of my chest but so I can get to a low enough body fat to be able to see my abs.

I'll be calling my doc on Monday to schedule a revision consult and if all goes well I hope to schedule it before the school semester begins.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024