Author Topic: Whats Up Forum?  (Read 3567 times)

Offline NeoLeo

My name is Stan,(whats up?)

I'll be 22 years old on Aug.4, but aside from that my gyne is severe, and im not that far from fatM1ke(search forum). but anyway, i actively play basketball almost everyday, and walk/or ride my bike when i can, but my diet seems to do nothing for me. I came to this forum becuz i feel this is the only place where i can freely talk about this issue without being embarrassed. Anything positive posted by anyone is widely appreciated and respected. I went to the doctor to get a physical and im fairly healthy, but my obesity is a problem and is only making things worse, surgery IS the only way i can be more self confident in myself and not live my life wearing two shirts because of my chest area, I want to thank you in advance for any positive things u might have to add, but next time i go to my doctor(2morrow) im asking him to refer me to a plastic surgeon or someone who has done this line of work before. Ive heard some members say lose weight first then get surgery, but i feel the opposite way, i feel if i can lose at least half of what i have now on my chest area i will be able to perform more efficiently and consistently on my own. Im sick and tired of living like this, although i have a normal social life, i feel like im missing out on so much more, and if i can get rid of this issue before im 30 years of age, i still might have some years left to enjoy my youth.

i'd like to hear from someone who has had this for the 10+ years that ive had it. for those of you who went thru high school like this would understand my pain and frustration on even having these man boobs around, i have not taken my shirt off to go swimming since i was about 8 years old...now if that doesnt explain it, i dont know what will.

Offline moobz

Hey man, I don't know what its like to be heavy, even though I do have gyne.

Have you tried doing strength training? If exercise and a decent diet isnt doing you much good, then you may just be made to be big. But you dont have to be big and flabby. I know quite a few kids at my school who were pretty flabby, but when they started doing strength training, they certainly didn't lose size, nor did they get great definition, but the flabiness evened out everywherre, and they looked pretty normal. Not to mention they got hotter girls than I could have ever gotten.

Of course, this combined with surgery might be the best option for you.

I'll tell you one thing though, I know what you mean when you want to have surgery before losing weight. The surgery can act as an incentive, it can act as a jumpstart for your "new life".

Sorry I cant give better advice, but keep at it, and something will come up.

Offline cube

• Posting Member
My name is Stan,(whats up?)

I'll be 22 years old on Aug.4, but aside from that my gyne is severe, and im not that far from fatM1ke(search forum). but anyway, i actively play basketball almost everyday, and walk/or ride my bike when i can, but my diet seems to do nothing for me. I came to this forum becuz i feel this is the only place where i can freely talk about this issue without being embarrassed. Anything positive posted by anyone is widely appreciated and respected. I went to the doctor to get a physical and im fairly healthy, but my obesity is a problem and is only making things worse, surgery IS the only way i can be more self confident in myself and not live my life wearing two shirts because of my chest area, I want to thank you in advance for any positive things u might have to add, but next time i go to my doctor(2morrow) im asking him to refer me to a plastic surgeon or someone who has done this line of work before. Ive heard some members say lose weight first then get surgery, but i feel the opposite way, i feel if i can lose at least half of what i have now on my chest area i will be able to perform more efficiently and consistently on my own. Im sick and tired of living like this, although i have a normal social life, i feel like im missing out on so much more, and if i can get rid of this issue before im 30 years of age, i still might have some years left to enjoy my youth.

i'd like to hear from someone who has had this for the 10+ years that ive had it. for those of you who went thru high school like this would understand my pain and frustration on even having these man boobs around, i have not taken my shirt off to go swimming since i was about 8 years old...now if that doesnt explain it, i dont know what will.

I gotta tell you I agree fully with the reply above. I have never been overweight, but I have had difficulty getting to low body fat percentages like 15-7%. The only thing that has helped me lower my weight to those percentages has been HIT high intensity training with heavy weight. A friend of mine who I went to highschool with used to weight 270 pounds and he was 6' tall, he dropped to 220 and was at 10% body fat after 1 year of of hit training. I would go as far as to say the ONLY way for you to really loose weight and keep it off is to build muscle and have cardio 3 times a week. You also have to change your diet to high protein low carbs, and begin taking 2 to 3 protein shakes a day. As far as your surgery is concerned I would recomend loosing as much weight as possible prior to the surgery, this would allow the surgeon to create a better contour to your pectoral muscles creating a more pleasing look. Either way HIT training is the only way your will see results almost imediately in terms of energy, strength, and over all feeling better. It will be difficult the first 2-3 months but after a while you will come to love your work outs and you will have a renewed sense of well being. Here is a link with some very good information regarding HIT training: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=HITPrograms

Offline NeoLeo

thanks very much this really helps

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
i am not a doc, but if you want to know the basic reason for trying to lose weight first, it's because it makes the surgeon's job easier working with your target condition and there'd be less risk of it looking unusual later once you'd worked down closer to normal weight. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...

31 years here... :-\

I totally understand what you are going through my man. The teen years are the worst! Kids can be very cruel at times...  :'(

There are some PS's that don't have a 'loose weight first' prerequisite... Shop around...  ;)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I have many patients who have both obesity and gyne.  Having gyne is a real detriment to working out in a gym, walking around in a locker room, etc. Therefore, they do not exercise and losing weight in order to qualify for surgery becomes very difficult -- they are caught in a catch 22 situation. I understand this and although losing weight prior to surgery is better, I will sometimes operate on someone merely to reduce the size of the gyne so that he feels better about himself.  Then, he will be inspired to work out and lose more weight -- and then the breast, too will decrease somewhat in size.

It is important to understand that gyne surgery for obese men will only reduce the size of the breasts.  Postoperatively,  we are faced with the lax skin that always accompanies obesity.  Thus I tell my patients that improvement, not perfection, is the goal.  And many of my patients are pleased and content with that improvement -- not perfect, but perfectly acceptable.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
It is important to understand that gyne surgery for obese men will only reduce the size of the breasts.  Postoperatively,  we are faced with the lax skin that always accompanies obesity.  Thus I tell my patients that improvement, not perfection, is the goal.  And many of my patients are pleased and content with that improvement -- not perfect, but perfectly acceptable.

Dr Jacobs

Well said Dr. Jacobs!

Gynecomastic Reduction Surgery is a just fix, not a cure...  and as Dr. Jacobs mentioned, the pre-op patient should be striving for an improvement, not perfection...

GB

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024