Author Topic: Smoking  (Read 3911 times)

Offline monzo

• Bronze Member
Ive got my OP in two days and I stopped smoking yesterday.. I dont know what im gonna do .. if I should re scedual it or go just go ahead... what yall think??

Offline STILLgotIT

• Gold Member
  • Finally gyne-free
Certainly tell your doc and get his/her advice. This is your health and safety we are talking about here and you are not "getting anything over on your doc" by not telling him.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Why can you not smoke pre-op? Will smoking prior, affect the proceedure? ??? ??? ???

John.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 09:26:19 AM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline rcbrown23

Your not supposed to smoke because the nicotine thins out the blood. This is not avice, but what I'd do...

I'd go through with it without hesitation. There will probably be more bruising afterwards, but it's unlikely that any serious complications will occur. People will agrue that that is an awfull idea becuase thinning of the blood could cause you to bleed to death on the table. Or it could be too much bleeding and the surgeon could not see what he is doing and mess something up. The truth is that people go through with similar operations ALL THE TIME and many do not quit smoking. Think about ops in the ER that are not planned...think those people stopped smoking? I've heard that one asprin two weeks prior can cause a hell of a lot more thinning of the blood than smoking up till the day of the op.

Yeah, yeah...horible abvice, but like I said, it's not advice, it's just what I'd do.

Offline gynegoawayplz

• Posting Member
  • gyne sucks
you won't die
I wish I could step out of the black and into the white.

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
you won't die

gynegoawayplz - Dude, you have got a major obsession with death.  Most of your posts say something about dying.

Try walking around with a smile on your face.  If you change your physiology, maybe you'll feel happy.

Offline monzo

• Bronze Member
ok I did some reasearch and this is what smoking does. It affects the healing process. your suppose to quit two weeks b4 surg and two weeks after or healing takes longer or you might not even heal. BUmmer

• it reduces the blood flow to the cell
• it reduces the ability of hemoglobin to move oxygen
• it reduces the amount of oxygen released to the cells.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
ok I did some reasearch and this is what smoking does. It affects the healing process. your suppose to quit two weeks b4 surg and two weeks after or healing takes longer or you might not even heal. BUmmer

• it reduces the blood flow to the cell
• it reduces the ability of hemoglobin to move oxygen
• it reduces the amount of oxygen released to the cells.

Nasty shit aint it.... :o :o :o

John.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 08:26:55 AM by Bambu »

Offline ensiferum

• Posting Member
Smoking also increases the possibility for hematosis, which is just a blob of blood in the surgery area slowing down the recovery (That's what the drains are supposed to suck out).

But this is just AFAIK, so don't take my word for it.

Surgery on 11th of May. *gulp*

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024