Author Topic: How bad is my gyno? (32yrs, 6', 180lbs)  (Read 4124 times)

Offline zilverkatt

• Posting Member
I've had gyno since my early teens.  I think it is a result of a genetic liver problem that I had that required a liver transplant when I was 15yrs old (thus the scar on my abdomen).

Anyway, I'm now thinking about getting surgery to correct as I have the disposable income now that I didn't before.  It has been embarasing for me and like others, I wear thick heavy clothes to hide and don't like taking my shirt off unless absolutely necessary.  I have puffy nipples (respond to sensation, cold) and have some glandular mass in my breast along with fat.  You can grab just about a handful of mass on each breast.

I've tried excercise to see if it would help.  Aside from reducing my amount of body fat, it hasn't helped.  In fact, I am not that motiviated to excercise (lift weights, run, etc.) because my gyno.

More to the point, where do I rank on the 1-10 scale?  I put myself at a 6-7.  Am I a good candidate for surgery?

Assuming I have surgery, it seems there is a fair amount of skin that may sag afterwards.  Do you think my condition is bad enough for this to happen?

Finally, should I workout prior to surgery?  Will this aid in recovery or in the surgery itself (ie. assist in the surgeons ability to sculpt the tissue for best results?)

Thank you for your help!!

Offline ShakeWell

I would call any gyne in which you can hold a handfull size worth a 10 myself. that is about what I have and it has impaired my life.

Offline zilverkatt

• Posting Member
I would call any gyne in which you can hold a handfull size worth a 10 myself. that is about what I have and it has impaired my life.

So a handfull is a 10/10? ok thats made things clearer, thanks.
 ( What if the breast is more than one handfull tho? also would the hand have to be the persons own hand or similar size?)

In re handful.  Yes, it is my own hand and it how much you can grasp at once.  I think it is more appropriate to measure in terms of total body fat.  For instance, my belly is pretty lean and there is no way I could grab a handful of belly fat.  Put into this perspective, my chest is well beyond where it should be considering my overall body fat %.  On the other hand, If I was overweight and I could grasp a similiar amount of fat on my belly as on my chest, then..well you get the idea.

Does anyone know of any benefits of working out prior to surgery?  Aside from the obvious benefits of being fit?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Any impairment of liver function can be a cause for gynecomastia as you probably already know.

A good surgeon should be able to make a great improvement; but only if your health makes you a suitable candidate for surgery. This is a question you should present to your regular Doctor before you actually contact a surgeon. My bet is that if your liver function is normal he will give you a go-ahead for surgery.
Grandpa Dan

Offline tim fuller

• Posting Member

So a handfull is a 10/10? ok thats made things clearer, thanks.
 ( What if the breast is more than one handfull tho? also would the hand have to be the persons own hand or similar size?)

In re handful.  Yes, it is my own hand and it how much you can grasp at once.  I think it is more appropriate to measure in terms of total body fat.  For instance, my belly is pretty lean and there is no way I could grab a handful of belly fat.  Put into this perspective, my chest is well beyond where it should be considering my overall body fat %.  On the other hand, If I was overweight and I could grasp a similiar amount of fat on my belly as on my chest, then..well you get the idea.

Does anyone know of any benefits of working out prior to surgery?  Aside from the obvious benefits of being fit?

There are a number of benefits of being in good shape prior to surgery.

1. One of the biggest risks I have heard is in regards to excessive bleeding. One of the things to help avoid that, is to take it easy and keep  your heart rate down for the first few days. Those in good shape have a lower resting heart rate.

2. I also believe that being in good shape, and with a good diet helps with healing. Your body simply functions better when you are in good shape. A better functioning body will heal faster.

3. You just look better before and after. When your body is fit, you can really see your gyne. That helps you realize that surgery is truly the only option.

Offline ToniB

• Posting Member
I'd definitely get a procedure done.  No question about it.  I'd rate you an 8/10 on severity.

Offline zilverkatt

• Posting Member
Any impairment of liver function can be a cause for gynecomastia as you probably already know.

A good surgeon should be able to make a great improvement; but only if your health makes you a suitable candidate for surgery. This is a question you should present to your regular Doctor before you actually contact a surgeon. My bet is that if your liver function is normal he will give you a go-ahead for surgery.

Thank you for your comment.  I am essentially cured of the genetic abnormality that caused my decline in liver function.  I now live a healthy, active and unrestricted life!  I would assume the same in re surgery.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
On the other hand, If I was overweight and I could grasp a similiar amount of fat on my belly as on my chest, then..well you get the idea.

So what you are saying is that it's okay for the 'fat guy' to have m(o)(o)bs but not for a skinny guy?

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline zilverkatt

• Posting Member
On the other hand, If I was overweight and I could grasp a similiar amount of fat on my belly as on my chest, then..well you get the idea.

So what you are saying is that it's okay for the 'fat guy' to have m(o)(o)bs but not for a skinny guy?

GB

No, that is not what I'm saying. I'm saying you should evaluate your body fat % based on an overall evaluation.  If you are overweight you would naturally have more mass in your chest than a skinny guy and vice versa. 

Offline zilverkatt

• Posting Member
the third pic shocked me. there must be gland everywhere

I think you are right.  I can definately feel it beneath the skin.  I've scheduled a consultation with Dr. Bermant next week.  I need to get this taken care of!  It is not very motivating when you work out at the gym to try and improve your appearance only to have gyne ruin it!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024