Author Topic: Wearing the Underarmour vest after you're done with the Stage 1  (Read 6801 times)

Offline Dider11

• Posting Member
How long should one wear an under armour vest after they are done with the stage 1? I guess my real question is when can I be done with wearing any type of compression?

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Compression vests, whether the tight "Stage 1" variety or a Spandex-type shirt such as the Underarmour brand, should be worn until the swelling is resolved.  Most plastic surgeons recommend wearing a tight surgical compression vest for 2 to 3 weeks, but your overall swelling isn't completely resolved until 6 to 8 weeks after surgery.  It's therefore a good idea, IMO, to wear some type of compression shirt for the first 6 to 8 weeks postop.  Not mandatory, but it helps.

Dr. Pope
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There is no absolute right or wrong on this subject -- the answer varies with the surgeon's approach as well as the individual healing characteristics of the patient.  In essence, some patients need to wear compression longer than others.

It is best to deal individually with this question.  But overall, I feel that the longer you wear a compression garment, the better you will be.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

How long should one wear an under armour vest after they are done with the stage 1? I guess my real question is when can I be done with wearing any type of compression?

Not all garments are the same. An Under Amour vest offers very little compression, not enough to adequately stabilize tissues to minimize movement and not much for scar care.  I do not recommend such light weight compression garments for my patients. 

After Gynecomastia Surgery Chest Garments can really help with after surgery swelling.    A First Stage Male Chest Compression Garments is safer to get on and off right after surgery.  Swelling without such compression does not go away as fast.  The garment's stabilization of tissues helps minimize new injury and swelling.  How long to wear a garment depends on the problem treated, what was done, and other factors best discussed with your surgeon familiar with the problem.  I prefer to individualize how long for each of my patients, one duration does not fit all situations.  As long as there is swelling and a patient is more comfortable with the garment than without, there can be significant advantages to compression.

A Second Stage Gynecomastia Garments help with scars.  Scars that evolve under pressure do much better than scars without pressure.  As long as the scar is still firm and wearing the garment is helping the scars get softer, compression and Scar Care can have value.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Contouring

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024