Author Topic: Massaging chest post-op?  (Read 3532 times)

Offline yet-another

• Posting Member
Hello

Thanks for taking the time to read this.  I am one week post op.  Doctor did lypo only right now, but will go in and remove tissue/gland at a later date if I still feel the need.

I went for a post-op appointment yesterday and the nurse told me that massaging the chest would help with healing.  She recommended a rolling pin.  She recommended 3-4 minutes on each side 3-4 times a day.  Right now the chest area is still relatively painful when I do this.  Should I just keep trying, maybe a little lighter, or should I stop for now.  Does massaging actually help things as far as healing and final results?

Thanks.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I would definitely NOT do any massage so soon after surgery -- it will actually do more injury than good and will incite more swelling, perhaps start some bleeding, etc.  And a rolling pin?  Shades of a medieval torture chamber!

Please, be patient, give it time. Swelling is a normal bodily reaction to surgery and it will subside by itself.  Best is to wear a firm compression garment.

I would only consider gentle massaging starting at 6-8 weeks after surgery -- and then only if there is any irregularity or lumpiness. 

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

Hello

Thanks for taking the time to read this.  I am one week post op.  Doctor did lypo only right now, but will go in and remove tissue/gland at a later date if I still feel the need.

I went for a post-op appointment yesterday and the nurse told me that massaging the chest would help with healing.  She recommended a rolling pin.  She recommended 3-4 minutes on each side 3-4 times a day.  Right now the chest area is still relatively painful when I do this.  Should I just keep trying, maybe a little lighter, or should I stop for now.  Does massaging actually help things as far as healing and final results?

Thanks.

Pain is nature's way of telling you what you can do. Although after surgery massaging and Scar Care can help minimize scars, trauma can hurt healing wounds!  I wonder if your doctor knows his / her nurse is recommending using a rolling pin? And so soon after surgery???  This makes no sense to me at all and sounds dangerous and not smart. 

Why not put up some Standard After Surgery Pictures so others can see what you have so far and post the doctor's name?

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline yet-another

• Posting Member
Thanks for the replies!  I will definitely take it easy for a while.  I will post some pictures as soon as I can.

Thanks again.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024