Author Topic: breast tissue?  (Read 3235 times)

Offline Dragonf0rce

From what I know about Gynecomastia, men that have it have woman-like breasts because they have breast tissue growing underneath their nipples.
I also heard that Gynecomastia goes away as guys go through puberty.

So does that mean the breast tissue just disappears? I don't get how that's possible.

DrBermant

From what I know about Gynecomastia, men that have it have woman-like breasts because they have breast tissue growing underneath their nipples.
I also heard that Gynecomastia goes away as guys go through puberty.

So does that mean the breast tissue just disappears? I don't get how that's possible.

The Anatomy of Gynecomastia Male Breast Enlargement consists of gland, fat, and skin.  Subtle forms of puffy nipple gynecomastia occur in about 60% of all males at some time in their lives. For vast majority, it resolves on its own.  During the hormone imbalance of puberty, glands that are under hormonal stimulation enlarge.  When that stimulation stops, the glands shrink.  They are not gone, just smaller in size.  When they are so small in size not to create a contour deformity, then the chest shape can say male.  Gland is present in all male mammals.  Gland without contour problems is no longer gynecomastia.  However, fat is another matter.  A fat breast still looks like a breast.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If there is a significant amount of excessive tissue on the chest during puberty, it is doubtful that it will magically disappear and result in a flat and contoured chest.

Unfortunately, many pediatricians provide false hopes to young men that "it will disappear completely if you just wait it out."  I have seen too many teens who have spent years waiting for "it" to disappear -- and it doesn't.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024