Author Topic: Touch Up Surgery  (Read 5443 times)

Offline NB

I had my gynecomastia surgery 6 months ago, and I am unhappy with the results.  I was put under general anesthesia, and when I came out of surgery I was sown up with no drainage bags.  After seven days of being wrapped in gauze my doctor told me I was fine to return to all normal activities and there was no need for me to have a compression vest.  Now, six months later it feels as though I have a fluid build up under my nipples, or maybe the doctor didn’t take much out.  I am unhappy with the result and I am going in tomorrow for a touch up surgery which I am very nervous about.  It will be under local anesthesia, put I do not want the doctor to reopen my already obviously showing scars if all that is needed is drainage.

What should I ask/recommend to my doctor?

I am sure he will tell me the same as the original surgery, about how it is ok to return to everyday activities with no need for worry.

What is healing like after touch up surgery?  Will it be the typically recommended 6 weeks with a compression vest like EVERY other doctor recommends besides mine?

Also, one of my nipples has not seemed to completely heal as the other has.  After 6 months is this normal? 

What is the risk to nipple damage or loss of nipple sensation all together if a touch up surgery is preformed?

Thank you.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Unfortunately, I cannot comment on many of your questions because it would require an actual physical examination.  But in general, six months after surgery I wold expect absolutely no fluid to be present.

Before your touch-up surgery, you should go over every aspect with your surgeon and make it clear to both you and your surgeon what the goals are and what will be done.

If you are not pleased after the touch-up surgery, I would suggest you see another surgeon who has significant experience in gyne surgery.  But wait at least six months for full healing to occur.

And for men who have not yet had gyne surgery, this story only reinforces the recommendation that you consult with an experienced gyne surgeon -- you may be able to avoid some of the post-op problems in the first place.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

I had my gynecomastia surgery 6 months ago, and I am unhappy with the results.  I was put under general anesthesia, and when I came out of surgery I was sown up with no drainage bags.  After seven days of being wrapped in gauze my doctor told me I was fine to return to all normal activities and there was no need for me to have a compression vest.  Now, six months later it feels as though I have a fluid build up under my nipples, or maybe the doctor didn’t take much out.  I am unhappy with the result and I am going in tomorrow for a touch up surgery which I am very nervous about.  It will be under local anesthesia, put I do not want the doctor to reopen my already obviously showing scars if all that is needed is drainage.

What should I ask/recommend to my doctor?

I am sure he will tell me the same as the original surgery, about how it is ok to return to everyday activities with no need for worry.

What is healing like after touch up surgery?  Will it be the typically recommended 6 weeks with a compression vest like EVERY other doctor recommends besides mine?

Also, one of my nipples has not seemed to completely heal as the other has.  After 6 months is this normal? 

What is the risk to nipple damage or loss of nipple sensation all together if a touch up surgery is preformed?

Thank you.

Healing after revision gynecomastia surgery depends on the problem to be treated, what was done, the skill of the surgeon, after surgery care, Scar Care, and After Gynecomastia Surgery Chest Compression and other factors.   Revision surgery is an art form and can often be much more complex than primary since we are working with scars and deformity.  My patients typically tell me that my revision surgery was more comfortable, with less swelling, less bruising, and easier recovery than their first surgeon's operation. 

I prefer local anesthesia with heavy sedation for most of my primary and revision gynecomastia surgery.  Local alone is not enough for the typically more extensive revision surgery techniques needed to contour a chest. 

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024