Author Topic: Questions about Gynecomastia  (Read 2882 times)

Offline littlemanwithboobs

I have had  since i was about 14 and I have some questions and I would like a doctors point of view.
1. Does the anatomy of the breast differ between male and females?
2. What would be considered severe .
3. How would you determine the size of a man's breast development? (Like women have cup sizes.)
4. Is it recommend that a man with larger breasts wear a support undergarment or just if he is physically uncomfortable from the movement of his breasts?

My chest is fairly developed and was wondering if borders on the larger side for a man. Under my chest I measure 32" and around the fullest part I measure 39" but I am not sure if this a good indicator. I just wonder if it is better for my breasts to be supported or just let them flap in the wind. That is reasons for my questions. Thanks.

DrBermant

I have had  since i was about 14 and I have some questions and I would like a doctors point of view.
1. Does the anatomy of the breast differ between male and females?
2. What would be considered severe .
3. How would you determine the size of a man's breast development? (Like women have cup sizes.)
4. Is it recommend that a man with larger breasts wear a support undergarment or just if he is physically uncomfortable from the movement of his breasts?

My chest is fairly developed and was wondering if borders on the larger side for a man. Under my chest I measure 32" and around the fullest part I measure 39" but I am not sure if this a good indicator. I just wonder if it is better for my breasts to be supported or just let them flap in the wind. That is reasons for my questions. Thanks.

Breast anatomy is similar in mammals, both male and female and consists of gland, fat, and skin.  Gynecomastia is female like breasts in men and are a continuum of Female Breast Anatomy

Puffy Nipple Gynecomastia Anatomy is similar to a pubescent female breast.

Anatomy of Gynecomastia can look anywhere in between to even larger breasts as shown in the drawings on the link of female breast anatomy.  As a breast gets larger, weight tends to pull tissues down creating a fold under the breast (Inframammary Fold) exaggerating a breast look. 

Some feel that bigger pectoral muscles make the chest look more masculine.  Male Body Fat Distribution adds fat to both the breast and a tire around the entire chest. This fat addition happens also in women.

A woman's cup size is 1 cup for each 1 inch of additional circumference at the breast.  Larger male chest muscles and athletic females can distort this measurement. 

Severity of breast enlargement is in the eye of the beholder.  For a Competition Body Builder with Gynecomastia, even a slight enlargement is severe.  For others, even large male breasts are no problem as in this Klinefelter's Syndrome Patient with Gynecomastia.

Bras are designed to support and shape a female breasts. When a male wants support and a female shape, they can work fine.  Most men are embarrassed about the breasts but still want stability from bouncing.  Body Shaping Compression Vests stabilize tissue and provide a more male shape.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024