Author Topic: Pre-Op - Now post-op  (Read 3879 times)

Offline PASA8

• Posting Member
Hi all, great site.
Attached are some of my photos.  

[img=http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/7425/dsc00527frontflexed.th.jpg]
[img=http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/7323/dsc00521leftflexed.th.jpg]
[img=http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/1761/dsc00522rightflexed.th.jpg]
[img=http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3803/dsc00520frontrelaxed.th.jpg]
[img=http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/8236/dsc00526rightsemiflexed.th.jpg]
[img=http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/1206/dsc00525leftsemiflexed.th.jpg]

Like most of you I have grown to the point where I feel surgery is the only answer. This has been bothering me for a long time and I'm just tired of dealing with it.  My surgery is scheduled for next Friday and I'm confident in the surgeon I've selected.  

Based on my photos it would be helpful if someone could share their opinons on the severity of my case and expected outcome.  I have realistic expectations, I'm not looking for perfection, just an excellent outcome based on my situation.  I am 45 and my concerns are skin sagging, nipple alignment and sensitivity.  I enjoy lifting weights and it seems this accentuates the problem, for those of you that lift, you know how it feels.  

Thanks for taking a look and any feedback or recommendations would be helpful.  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 06:13:56 PM by PASA8 »

Offline ddh

• Silver Member
My chest was similar to yours and I had my surgery 5 weeks ago at the age of 58. I think you're going to have a great outcome, as long as your surgeon has a good history of gyne surgeries.

I'm really happy. No problem with a lack of skin shrinkage. Now my chest matches the rest of my body. (Actually, my chest now is probably the best part.) The only visible hint of the surgery are the small incision scars. Although I still can feel hard areas of scar tissue under the skin, they're not visible to others. And I finally have my full range of motion back (it took 5 weeks).

My recommendation is to strictly follow your surgeon's instructions. Keep that compression garment on and don't worry about how you look in the first few weeks. It takes longer than you think (or want) for swelling to go down and for your body to adjust. I didn't return to the gym until week 5. I wore a special compression wrap for the first week, then a compression vest for weeks 2-4, and for the next month I wear an Under Armour compression T when I go to the gym (per my surgeon's instructions).

Best of luck and keep us posted! It is great to hear from "older" guys who are finally making the move.

Offline PASA8

• Posting Member
Thank you for the response ddh.

It has bothered me for some time and I am excited to get it done, any regrets on your end? I know it hasn't been to long but are you happy with the results and would you do it again? I'm a little nervous.

I will post my after photo's. 

Offline 34andReady

• Posting Member
Thank you for the response ddh.

It has bothered me for some time and I am excited to get it done, any regrets on your end? I know it hasn't been to long but are you happy with the results and would you do it again? I'm a little nervous.

I will post my after photo's. 

Good luck PASA8!

Am I considered an 'older guy' at 34???   :)

The only regret that I have is not taking care of this sooner.   I dealt with it for approximately 20 years.  During those 20 years it was high school, college, and out-of-college young-professional single-hood!  But I made it!  Found me a gorgous loving wife who said she never noticed a thing (suuuuuure you didn't) but was fully supportive when I decided to just get it done.

Offline PASA8

• Posting Member
Thanks 34 and ready and congrats on getting it done, it must feel great to finally get it over with. I think 45 and older is considered taking your time to get it done, your safe as younger...

I'm glad to hear you wished you'd done it sooner, I think I am going to feel the same way.  Like you, my girl doesn't think I need it but she is very supportive.

I've read on here that some people recommend that you massage the area twice a day, have you been doing that? Is there anything that you would recommend to help the healing process and possibly provide a better outcome?

Offline ddh

• Silver Member
I have absolutely no regrets.

I would do again in a heart beat. It was so lame to wait so long.

Offline 34andReady

• Posting Member
I would do again in a heart beat.

Hopefully that won't be needed!   :)

It was so lame to wait so long.

I think the main reason I waited until now is because about 8 years ago, I don't remember there being this much information available on the web.  I got really obsessed about doing something about it 8 years ago but couldn't really find enough information to know what my options really were.  I'm not even sure this web site existed (but I could be wrong).  So I just went on dealing with it again until the end of this January.  For some reason, the thought of doing something clicked in my head again.  I spent a few days reading then posed the idea to my wife.  Within 3 days I had my pre-op consultation.  20 days later I had the surgery.  It all went really FAST!

Offline PASA8

• Posting Member
I think the main reason I waited until now is because about 8 years ago, I don't remember there being this much information available on the web.  I got really obsessed about doing something about it 8 years ago but couldn't really find enough information to know what my options really were. 

That's funny because I had the same situation, I looked into it about 10 years ago and just didn't follow up on it. This site has been my inspiration and it's very helpful to have access to others with the same problem. The pictures have also been very motivating. 2 Day's until your big golf outing, I'm sure it will be nice to get out into the nice weather without having to wear baggie shirts or feel self conscious about it. Heck it may even improve your game!  Friday's the big day for my surgery, my fingers are crossed for a successful outcome. 

Offline 34andReady

• Posting Member
2 Day's until your big golf outing, I'm sure it will be nice to get out into the nice weather without having to wear baggie shirts or feel self conscious about it. Heck it may even improve your game!  Friday's the big day for my surgery, my fingers are crossed for a successful outcome. 

Yup!  Started packing last night and was thinking about how perfect all of my great golf shirts are going to fit now!  Interestingly enough, on the golf course (where I spend the majority of my time in the good weather), I had always cared far less about my chest than anywhere else.  Not really sure why.  Perhaps because I am out there to play golf and couldn't care less what people noticed out there.  I never really bought golf attire with the intent of concealing my condition.  Just went ahead with the shirts I liked.  However, I am feeling like I may drop down a size.  I mean, you've seen how some of these young athletic PGA Tour golfers are wearing their shirts now.  Tiger practically busts out of his golf shirts.  That will be me now!

Good luck on Friday.  You are going to do fine.  The surgery is such a sinch.  I felt NOTHING.  Be sure to post your immediate thoughts and observations!

Offline PASA8

• Posting Member
Had surgery Friday and the doc said everything went very well, I will post pictures in the next couple of days.  There were 4 other guys having the same procedure with the same doctor on that day.  I heard they were younger and it was good to hear that they were getting the problem corrected at such a young age.

The good news is he did not need to do an incision, just lypo.  I hope it turns out ok and I will be taking the bandages off tomorrow for my first look. I am sore but it really isn't a very difficult procedure, it's hard to believe I waited 25 years to have it done.

Offline jaima

• Posting Member
Congrats buddy, I'm 42 years old and I can't wait to have the surgery.  You give us old guys something to look forward to, good luck to you and please keep us posted.

Offline PASA8

• Posting Member
Congrats buddy, I'm 42 years old and I can't wait to have the surgery.  You give us old guys something to look forward to, good luck to you and please keep us posted.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  So far my experience has been very positive and I should have done it years ago!! It's an amazing difference. After hearing about other experiences on this site, I would have bet that he needed to do a incision on the aerola to remove the harder matter but that wasn't the case with me. Hopefully that will make the healing process a little easier.

I'll post some new pictures this weekend. Good luck getting yours done, so far I would say to do it.  I'll keep you posted on my progress and I hope to continue to say it was all worth it.

Offline 34andReady

• Posting Member
After hearing about other experiences on this site, I would have bet that he needed to do a incision on the aerola to remove the harder matter but that wasn't the case with me. Hopefully that will make the healing process a little easier.

So what method did your doctor use?

Offline PASA8

• Posting Member
So what method did your doctor use?
[/quote]

I believe he used a combination of tumescent, ultrasonic and or PAL. I will confirm when I see him this Friday. I have quite a few questions for him, it's definetly still hard in and around the area and I'm guessing it's part of the healing process and scar tissue at this point.  I think my situation was a little different then yours in that I'm heavier, older and I think he was trying to blend it as opposed to just removing everything.  It's flat and I'm happy at this point.

How are you feeling? Are you happy? Is your golf game any better?

Offline 34andReady

• Posting Member
How are you feeling? Are you happy? Is your golf game any better?

Thanks for asking, I am feeling great!  And it sounds like you are as well.  I am 6.5 weeks post-op and estimate to be 97% recovered.  There is still some TINY swelling right on the lower half-circle of the nipples, basically at the incisions.  I am back running without any kind of supplemental support.  I have full range of motion with my arms, can reach high again for things in the kitchen cabinets.

Regarding the golf...

The first 2-3 times out (only 4+ weeks post), I was still a bit tight and was mildly uncomfortable during my back-swing and follow-through (most stretched positions).  But now, I am 100% when it comes to golf.  It didn't take long.  And it was just as my doctor predicted.  He said I would be cutting it close by playing 4 weeks after, but shortly after I would be back to normal.  Which I am.  I don't believe the surgery will improve my game physically.  However, I now feel great in terms of body-shape in all of my flashy golf attire.  I am considering dropping down a shirt size!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024