Author Topic: Considering Surgery  (Read 2567 times)

Offline readytoendit

• Posting Member
I was an obese child but slimmed down during and after puberty. I'm now 20 and still have the moobs. I've been going to the gym for a while and have built muscle in my chest, but of course it's completely hidden. I'm ready to end this nightmare and am considering surgery if possible. Would this be a good option?

http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/356/photo49q.jpg

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
You seem to be a great candidate for the surgery.  You appear to be in great shape, not overweight, with a good amount of muscle, and you have a moderate to severe case of gynecomastia, by looking at the one photo I see. 

Good luck with the surgery.  Be sure to find a board-certified plastic surgeon who has a good bit of experience with gynecomastia surgery.

Dr. Pope, M.D.

George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline readytoendit

• Posting Member
Thanks. I'm a bit chubby at 190lb, but nothing too bad. My chest is definitely my problem area and I'm sick of never being comfortable walking around in warm weather. I've got a GC2 Compression tank top that helps a lot, but it's beyond uncomfortable.

I've just now starting considering surgery. I'm not even sure I can afford it but I'm going to do some research. Breaking the news to my dad will be the hard part. I know he won't understand where I'm coming from at all. I'll do my best though.

If I can get this done and it gets rid of them problem my life will improve 100%.

Offline **Gynefor**

• 37 yo - 184 cm - 82 kg
I was an obese child but slimmed down during and after puberty. I'm now 20 and still have the moobs. I've been going to the gym for a while and have built muscle in my chest, but of course it's completely hidden. I'm ready to end this nightmare and am considering surgery if possible. Would this be a good option?

http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/356/photo49q.jpg

First, congrats on the weight loss ! ;)

I think the best option would be surgery if that annoys you so much...

Offline readytoendit

• Posting Member
Thanks!

I'm pretty much set on trying to get the operation done after doing a lot of reading on the subject. Just have to have the dreaded talk with my dad the next time I see him. Then I want to get a consultation and see if maybe my insurance will cover some of it.

Offline PASA8

• Posting Member
I just had my surgery 10 days ago and I waited way to long to have it done. I can't believe how much better I look and feel about it.  I actually have a flat chest, it's amazing the difference.

If it bothers you get it done.

Good luck.

DrBermant

Thanks. I'm a bit chubby at 190lb, but nothing too bad. My chest is definitely my problem area and I'm sick of never being comfortable walking around in warm weather. I've got a GC2 Compression tank top that helps a lot, but it's beyond uncomfortable.

I've just now starting considering surgery. I'm not even sure I can afford it but I'm going to do some research. Breaking the news to my dad will be the hard part. I know he won't understand where I'm coming from at all. I'll do my best though.

If I can get this done and it gets rid of them problem my life will improve 100%.

There can be a Great Deal of Emotion Living with Gynecomastia. Many have told me that this video was a very valuable tool in discussing what it is like to have gynecomastia to family or friends.

I advise my patients to get to a weight / body fat percentage they are comfortable with before considering surgery. As a surgical sculptor, I view weight loss as a coarse tool and my plastic surgery as a refinement tool.  I prefer to use the coarse tool first, and then my sculpture for refinement.

Weight Loss Before Gynecomastia Surgery can help with the fat, but not the gland.  However, you cannot pick where your fat comes from. Plastic Surgery is also not a good jump start tool for weight loss.  I have seen disasters from patients from other doctors with deformities from significant weight loss after their surgery.  Men tend to put fat on first in the belly and chest bands.  We tend to take of those areas last.  Early surgery and depending on weight loss to predictably change the body is a nasty gamble.  No Surgery Body Shaping Garments are a better temporizing choice while first stabilizing their weight. There are different brands of compression garments and comfort varies depending on many factors.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline readytoendit

• Posting Member
I made a new topic in the Surgery Preparation section - http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=20454.0

I am in the process of finding a surgeon basically.

Offline readytoendit

• Posting Member
I posted a link to a prospective surgeon in my other thread. I would love some feedback on the guy because I want to start scheduling consultations ASAP.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024