Author Topic: Blood Clot After Surgery  (Read 3461 times)

Offline shalala2012

• Posting Member
I had gynecomastia surgery nearly 6 weeks ago. Drains were used on both sides and the doctor performed liposuction. My right side has a lot of swelling. My doctor said it is because of a blood clot. He said it was a successful surgery that did not involve much bleeding. I have been going in once a week and he has been taking out a little fluid at a time with a syringe. The area is very firm, he said that it will  eventually liquify and he will be able to get much more out and the swelling will go down. I am getting worried. Anyone know anything about this?

DrBermant

I had gynecomastia surgery nearly 6 weeks ago. Drains were used on both sides and the doctor performed liposuction. My right side has a lot of swelling. My doctor said it is because of a blood clot. He said it was a successful surgery that did not involve much bleeding. I have been going in once a week and he has been taking out a little fluid at a time with a syringe. The area is very firm, he said that it will  eventually liquify and he will be able to get much more out and the swelling will go down. I am getting worried. Anyone know anything about this?

Hematoma Complication after Gynecomastia Surgery is a collection of blood in the surgical site. This clotted blood tends to resist evacuation by suction until it softens and liquefies. This is a potential complication of any surgery. Prevention is key.Some doctors' techniques are such that they need drains to evacuate the extra fluid / blood for most of their patients. I do not use drains typically and Hematoma complications are quite rare in my practice and happen once every 1 to 3 years.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024