Author Topic: Xyrem (GHB) and Gynecomastia  (Read 4473 times)

Offline DR87

• Posting Member
I take Xyrem (GHB) for narcolepsy. I have read some studies that say that it increases prolactin release. I have asked my sleep doctor and the company that produces its pharmacists about it and no one has really known anything about xyrem and prolactin. My surgeon said prolactin increases can stimulate breast tissue growth. Does anyone here know if xyrem (ghb) increases prolactin to the point where i can regrow breast tissue? I haven't found anything that says whether the prolactin increases are just temporary (like maybe prolactin levels are raised right when you take the medicine but they go right back to normal) or if increases users prolactin levels steadily as long as they are on the medication. Does anyone here know anything about this?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
GHB is not a drug that we as plastic surgeons would ever prescribe or even know much about.  It's very popular among some bodybuilders, but my sense of that popularity is that it provides psychotropic effects which some guys like, and it may have some impact on GH support.  In other words, the hormonal effects may serve as an excuse for some to use this agent, which is really more of a party drug.  If it's prescribed to you for treatment for narcolepsy, the doctor who oversees your care would have more reliable information than we might provide. 

In terms of prolactin release, prolactin in men can stimulate gynecomastia.  Even after surgery, the small remnant of tissue left on the underside of the areola could be stimulated  by prolactin.  Whether or not your body responds to GHB treatment with an elevation in prolactin and whether or not that increased level stimulates growth of breast tissue in your case are things that your doctor may be able to advise you about, or perhaps an endocrinologist. 

One of the other surgeons may have a response, but I'm not sure.  I've never had a steroid using patient tell me that his gynecomastia resulted from GHB use.  And most of my patients are pretty forthcoming with information. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery