Author Topic: gyne from prohormones  (Read 8338 times)

Offline jamesechols

Hello, i am currently 18 years old and have experimented with prohormones for the last year or so. I have developed gynecomastia in my right nipple but it is very minor and just a little puffy. The problem though is that i also have developed a hard lump behind my nipple and im wondering what exactly it is and what i should do about it. Please let me know...

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
The hard lump is gynecomastia.  At this point, you should discontinue any pro-hormone supplementation completely.  Don't try alternative products that guarantee elimination of gynecomastia, estrogen blockers, preventative agents...Just stop everything, other than perhaps creatine and a protein supplement.  If your condition is minimal, it may resolve.  I generally recommend six months to a year off of everything to see if the condition resolves on its own.  The temptation to use these other products is great, but remember that these are not medications--they are dietary supplements, and they are not regulated in the way that medications are regulated, so you don't really know what any of them will do to you.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

DrBermant

Hello, i am currently 18 years old and have experimented with prohormones for the last year or so. I have developed gynecomastia in my right nipple but it is very minor and just a little puffy. The problem though is that i also have developed a hard lump behind my nipple and im wondering what exactly it is and what i should do about it. Please let me know...

I work with many Bodybuilders with Gynecomastia.

Prohormones are unregulated powerful substances that can change the hormone balance of the body. Hormonal stimulation can swell and grow the breast gland for both men and women. Just why the FDA is not regulating Prohormones, is beyond my understanding. Herbs, plants, and other "natural" items have been used as medications for years. The Digitalis plant has been used for centuries, it is just not refined and has unregulated strength of the drug.

I have seen many many patients over the years complain about the tenderness, discomfort, and breast growth that just would not go away after stopping the "over the counter" pills. Medical treatment of gynecomastia works only on the swollen phase of gland stimulation by blocking the effects of the stimulating hormones. Once this swelling subsides, there seems to be little effect of medical management unless there is an underlying problem. The human hormone system is in a delicate balance that can be thrown out of kilter. Sometimes it can recover on its own. Other times, patients stop the stimulating agent and the tenderness and growth persists. If tenderness, growth, nipple discharge or other Symptoms of Gynecomastia Growth continue, I ask my patients to have an evaluation by an experienced Endocrinologist. I have even seen patients who after cycling with self medication have untreatable continued breast growth. One particular patient had already had 2 major breast reductions by other doctors and regrew massive breasts after each operation. His endocrine system could not be reset, several endocrinologists were unable to find anything to change.

I prefer to operate on a stable problem whenever possible. If the breasts have stopped growing, are not tender, then surgery is an option. Otherwise you are risking breast regrowth.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Could not agree more with the other docs -- best for you is to stop the prohormones and then allow your body to stabilize.  There seems to be a direct cause and effect here.  However, should the tenderness or growth continue after you stop, then evaluation by an endocrinologist would be advised.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
The answer is clear.  Stop taking the prohormone.  It may be contributing to your problem and is not worth the risk. 
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024