Author Topic: Surgeons in South Florida?  (Read 4586 times)

Offline TruZy

Hello, all, this is my first time post.

I'm 22, a college student at Famu (although I'm originally from West Palm Beach, Fl) and I have, of course, gynecomastia. The thing is, though, I am over weight. I won't bore you with my sob story, so I'll cut it short. I'm 5'10 and was about 265, and have recently got down to 240 and am still going. Now that my stomach is starting to stick out less, my gyno is becoming more and more apparent and harder to hide (even though, I will admit, they are looking less full).

My mother (after seeing that it's more than just fat) agreed to pay for the surgery, but we are having trouble locating reviews for surgeons around our area (Jupiter, West Palm, Boynton, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, so on and so forth). I had a consultation with Dr. Gregory Albert (and saw some of his before/after pics of his previous patients), and he seems good. But I'd like some input from you all.

Any experiences you, or someone you know, had would be great. Thanks!

EDIT: Also, if you could, can you tell me how much you paid for it? His was 6500+, I've read around here that some people charged less.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Sometimes it is worthwhile to travel a bit for appropriate surgery.  Not all plastic surgeons, as skilled as they are, are conversant with the nuances of gyne surgery.

Would suggest you consult with Dr. Pope, who is in Orlando.  He is a contributor to this site and has an interest and demonstrated skill in gyne surgery.

Best of luck to you!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline TruZy

Sometimes it is worthwhile to travel a bit for appropriate surgery.  Not all plastic surgeons, as skilled as they are, are conversant with the nuances of gyne surgery.

Would suggest you consult with Dr. Pope, who is in Orlando.  He is a contributor to this site and has an interest and demonstrated skill in gyne surgery.

Best of luck to you!

Dr Jacobs

Thanks Dr. Jacob.

I wouldn't mind traveling, if necessary.

DrBermant

Hello, all, this is my first time post.

I'm 22, a college student at Famu (although I'm originally from West Palm Beach, Fl) and I have, of course, gynecomastia. The thing is, though, I am over weight. I won't bore you with my sob story, so I'll cut it short. I'm 5'10 and was about 265, and have recently got down to 240 and am still going. Now that my stomach is starting to stick out less, my gyno is becoming more and more apparent and harder to hide (even though, I will admit, they are looking less full).

My mother (after seeing that it's more than just fat) agreed to pay for the surgery, but we are having trouble locating reviews for surgeons around our area (Jupiter, West Palm, Boynton, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, so on and so forth). I had a consultation with Dr. Gregory Albert (and saw some of his before/after pics of his previous patients), and he seems good. But I'd like some input from you all.

Any experiences you, or someone you know, had would be great. Thanks!

EDIT: Also, if you could, can you tell me how much you paid for it? His was 6500+, I've read around here that some people charged less.

Congratulations on the weight loss so far!  Have you checked your BMI Body Mass Index or your Body Fat Analysis?  Weight loss is the first place to start for making oneself feel better about one's body. Weight loss is a coarse tool, you cannot pick where the fat goes on, nor where it comes off. Male Body Fat Distribution tends to put fat on first on the belly and chest bands and takes it off those regions last. Early surgery is a bad gamble before weight loss. If you have early surgery, and then lose weight, and if the weight comes off in a male pattern, it may look like the gynecomastia has recurred. That is why as a surgical sculptor I prefer to use a coarse tool first and reserve the plastic surgery for refinement. Of course this does not make as much money as the surgeon advocating early "jump start" surgery who then can offer a revision after weight loss. Such compromise surgery can never make an obese person not look obese. They are still cursed with global fat and breasts, just breasts of a smaller size.

For my patients I recommend that they get to a weight / body fat that they are comfortable with, let the skin compensate as much as it can, then consider surgery. During this weight loss No Surgery Body Shaping Garments are a fantastic tool as a temporizing contour measure that many of patients, even those living in hot environments, use to put off the stress of body contour issues while they stabilize a problem or lose weight.

I work with up to 8 gynecomastia patients a day. Actually I see many Florida Gynecomastia Patients who prefer my techniques. To minimize travel most start with our Preliminary Remote Discussion.

Different doctors have their own skills. I have posted how to pick a gynecomastia surgeon here:

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=16474.0

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024