Author Topic: Nearly 6 months post-op!  (Read 2677 times)

Offline gynedowner

• Posting Member
I feel bad for those on this site who had bad experiences with their surgeries, but I have to say that mine has been a great success. I'm wearing only one t-shirt, that's not a size too big for the first time in my life. I've even been swimming a few times. I'm getting "hey there" looks from girls when I take my shirt off! It feels great not to be worried all of time about what people think or worse, to see the uncomfortable looks and suppressed grins or the not so hidden full out laughter.

Even the scars have faded away, and oddly enough I have more chest hair now which covers up what little is visible pretty well. I think I'm going to start lifting some weight soon, I feel like I'm healed up just about all of the way. Almost all of the tenderness is gone, and the swelling is down (still not sure if it's all gone or not though, heard you have to wait about a year).

Those first few months post-op were difficult, and wearing a compression garment is the absolute opposite of fun. I wish I had bought an extra compression garment (one of those stage 2 kind) before the surgery. I had a few rough days trying to make my first one work when it was just about to fall apart. Once I was able to take it off without swelling, life was great. You do have to wait for that swelling to go though, just think back to how you first looked right after the surgery to keep your spirits up.

I also think that weight loss before the surgery is a good idea if your able to maintain it, plus it makes you feel awesome especially after the surgery. Yes, that rock hard body was under there all along. You just got to dig as far as you can and then pay someone else to finish it off! I think I got less puzzled looks when my chest was flat all of the sudden when everyone who hadn't seen me for a while saw that I had lost weight. Although, my closest friends are obviously a little skeptical because they've seen me with my gynecomastia before, when I was even skinner, but I think the losing the weight did make them second guess themselves (or they just didn't notice or care, the paranoia is hard to get rid of).

All in all things are great. I still have trouble with confidence, but I get more comfortable with myself with each day. Living in fear, shame, and self doubt is not living at all. Don't waste a day worrying about your gynecomastia, either learn to live with it or make a change! Either way it's well worth it. Thanks to all of you for your stories and support!

Offline JamesDawson

• Bronze Member
Great to hear a another success story, tomorrow marks my 9th week since my operation, did you have gland removal/lypo?? and did you have any scar tissue or hard swelling?

Offline gynedowner

• Posting Member
I had both gland and lypo removal. Yes, there is some scar tissue but it is very minimal. No hard swelling as far as I'm aware. The only tissue that is really obvious to the touch is a very small piece of gland left in for support. Don't start worrying too much yet about swelling and scar tissue being 9 weeks in. But I will say that by 2 months I didn't feel like I was swelling up anymore without the compression vest. But recovery times are different for everyone. The only advice i can give is make sure your wearing a comfortably tight compression vest, avoid physical activity, and focus on your diet (anything you feel like makes you swell such as sodas or certain foods, lay off for a while). Also, I've heard different things about massaging the area. I didn't do it. Oh, and don't sleep on your stomach. Even being 6 months in, I still feel like that causes some irritation (even more so than heavy exercise).

mortx15

Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on your results. My operations in 9 days. Ive never had an operation before (unless you count gettin wisdom teeth out). hearing stories like you take some of the anxiety away. I can only hope I end up in your shoes 6 months from now.

Offline gynedowner

• Posting Member
mortx15, it's definitely harder than having wisdom teeth taken out. But, if you take your medication and look after yourself the recovery will go by smoothly. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you're nervous, I find the more I know the better I feel about it. Good luck with your op, I'm sure you'll see great results!

graywelf

Who was your doctor?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024