Author Topic: Surgery Done at your Office  (Read 2757 times)

Offline steelhead

• Silver Member
About what percentage of the surgery is done at your offices ?I see that Dr. Bermant & Jacobs have fully accredited surgical facility's and other
doctors as well.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Virtually all my gyne surgery, except for extremely large or complicated cases, is done in my fully accredited (by The Joint Commission, which accredits hospitals) office surgical suite.  This provides a very safe environment for surgery as well as the comfort and convenience of a private and very personal setting.  And since I work with the same staff all the time, including my anesthesiologist (he and I have worked together for over twenty years!), the operations proceed at a smooth and even pace.  All my patients would agree that this is the way to go.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
I also perform the majority of my cosmetic surgery cases in an accredited OR facility in my office.  I think that's the norm for the majority of board certified plastic surgeons in the U.S.  The anesthesia group from one of the two big hospital systems here in Orlando provides anesthesiologists to come here.

Regardless of the accrediting body or agency, those of us with accredited OR suites have to go through rigorous inspections periodically and run emergency drills, to ensure that we are providing the safest environment for our patients. 

A word of caution:  As a part of your consultation with a surgeon, if he or she operates in an OR in the office, be sure that the OR is accredited AND that the surgeon has local hospital privileges to perform the same procedure.  That way, you know the surgeon is properly trained and you'll have your surgery in a safe place.

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

DrBermant

About what percentage of the surgery is done at your offices ?I see that Dr. Bermant & Jacobs have fully accredited surgical facility's and other
doctors as well.

I do 100% of my surgery at my accredited surgery center at my office. I maintain my hospital credentials for emergencies, but my patients, my staff, and myself prefer the comfort, better safety, cost, and privacy of our accredited surgery suite. It has been several years since I needed to do a case in the hospital.

Here is a more detailed answer from another post:

https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=21715.msg147058;topicseen#msg147058

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.
Board Certified
American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member: American Society of Plastic Surgeons and American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
Specializing in Gynecomastia and Surgical Sculpture of the Male Chest
(804) 748-7737

Offline steelhead

• Silver Member

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I perform the overwhelming majority( 98% ) of the surgery in my accredited operating suite.The surgery is more cost effective ,has greater privacy and superb instrumentation which I purchase because of its inherent value to me and my patients not because it is the low bid.
Jay Pensler,MD
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I am completely envious of my colleagues on this forum who have office facilities.  I can only provide general anesthetic in a hospital setting, though I will admit that the hospital where I work has very reasonable fees.  It's just not as efficient as working in an office based operating room. Maybe some day...

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery