Author Topic: permanent sutures and weightlifting / strenuous activity  (Read 2034 times)

Offline itwillallbeok

Hi doctors. 

I've lost 225 lbs over the last few years and I'm currently researching the possibility of getting both a skin reduction chest lift and body lift.  From what I understand, both procedures would involve the use of permanent sutures - to keep the areolae from expanding and to suspend the skin from the superficial fascia system. 

After leaving enough time to heal of course, I'm just wondering if having such permanent sutures would prevent me from continuing my weightlifting, or if they would present a risk when I do strenuous activities like rock climbing.  Is there a risk that years down the line, the sutures would tear, either from the activity or from an eventual gain of 15 to 20 lbs of muscle?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
The use of permanent sutures is up to the discretion of the surgeon.  Some surgeons will use them all the time and others only sometimes. 

Yes, permanent sutures are used to control the width of an areola -- but this is usually only used in certain female breast reduction techniques.  It is rarely used on males.

For body lifts, permanent sutures may be used to help keep the scars narrow. 

However, after a certain amount of time goes by, the sutures are holding nothing -- the actual tissues (which have healed and are rather strong)  are doing the holding.  Therefore, if you wish to do any strenuous activities, the presence of permanent sutures will pose no hindrance to you.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Congratulations on your weight loss.  It sounds like you've lost quite a lot, making it likely that you'll need to have a significant amount of skin removed.  I have used a permanent stitch around the areola in some cases where I've removed the skin just from around the nipple/areola ("donut" skin reduction), similar to what I do for breast lift in women with this approach.  It's likely from your description, however, that this would not be enough skin removal.  Other techniques don't depend on such a stitch to control the areola in the same way, and as Dr. Jacobs said, after a certain amount of time, the stitch becomes irrelevant anyway.  In any case, within a matter of months, you should be fully back to your normal exercise activities without concern over tearing sutures. 

I hope that's helpful.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com