Author Topic: Successful weightloss story with pics. Now do I have gyne?  (Read 3661 times)

Offline inneedofliberation

Hey to everyone reading, from a long time lurker and first time poster on these forums.
Let me get started with my story. I'm 19 year old 5'8, your regular college kid. I have been fit for the most part of my life, used to play a lot of sports, never buff, but never fat either. It was in high school that I stopped playing the sports that I do, and had put on a lot of weight. About 50 lbs of weight. The heaviest I got to was about 205lbs. I was pissed at what I had done to my body, and decided to put an end to it. Took me about a month or two of fad diets and failed attempts to realize that I would need a lifestyle change to actually achieve my goals. I was eating VERY little during my early attempts at losing weight. At one point, I was eating two slices of bread, a small serving boiled chicken and an apple as a meal, 3 times a day, while exercising twice a day at very high intensity (say 500 cals of cardio in each session). I lost a lot of weight (about 18lbs) (mostly muscle I reckon). I put on most of the weight after I started eating normally though. And then over time, after say 2 months, I started doing a lot of research and reading, and started to learn the right way to diet and lose weight. I started counting calories, eating 6 small meals throughout the day, started weight training and made amazing progress. I have learnt so much about health, nutrition and fitness in the process, and am dedicated to this very day. It took about 9 to 12 months for me to get to about 154lbs. I still had fat though, and not too much muscle. At this point, my chest was still unappealing, and it broke my heart every single day. So, I wanted to start eating more to gain muscle, in hopes of seeing progress. But I was afraid, as adding muscle would mean adding some fat (even though I am a "nutritional natzi" like Scooby1961 is..not sure how many people will get that reference). So, I decided to reduce my body fat percentage even more, before starting to add muscle. So, I lost more weight, and at the end of another 6 months, I was at 136.9lbs, at about 8% to 9% body fat, and could see abs. Over all, I went from a waist of 40 to 30, and it was like a dream come true. My chest has come a long way, and much better. I am very lean/small in the following pics, and still my chest seems to be holding fat/tissue. I want to start eating more and add more lean muscle to my frame, but I'm afraid that my chest will get worse again. I'm not sure if everyone will actually read this long post, but I wholeheartedly thank you if you did.
So, the question. Do I have gynecomastia? OR is it some extremely stubborn fat that I need to work on some more?  

So, here are the pics (at 136.9lbs/62.1kg and 5'8 tall here). Forgive me if the pics are very large (ctrl + scroll down / ctrl + [minus button on keyboard to zoom out]).

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Great weight loss -- don't lose any more weight.

Yes, whatever tissue you now have sitting on your chest muscle is most likely breast tissue, not fat.  If it bothers you, then the only option would be surgery.  But it really isn't bad at all and you could probably do well with a snug body shaping garment.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Great weight loss -- don't lose any more weight.

Yes, whatever tissue you now have sitting on your chest muscle is most likely breast tissue, not fat.  If it bothers you, then the only option would be surgery.  But it really isn't bad at all and you could probably do well with a snug body shaping garment.

Dr Jacobs

Thanks a lot for the quick and precise response. I had a feeling it was not fat. I might look into having surgery later this year, as I really want to be able to wear tank tops when I workout and be able to go to the beach shirtless. Appreciate the help. 

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
I see no reason you can't go to the beach shirtless right now.  I think you look fine.....certainly not something anyone would likely notice. 

I see no reason you can't go to the beach shirtless right now.  I think you look fine.....certainly not something anyone would likely notice. 

It really helps knowing that others think that my chest isn't something that would get people's attention for the wrong reasons. I haven't gone swimming or to the beach in over a 1.5 years, and I would love to soon. My areola are unusually large though, and I wonder if it has to do with breast tissue under it? Or is it normal for some people to have larger that usual areola?
I guess I over think at times, and I really do appreciate your response.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Your areolas are on the larger side of the normal range -- but not extraordinary.  Should you have gyne surgery in the future, the areolar diameter will shrink in size spontaneously -- roughly 15-20% smaller.

Dr Jacobs

Your areolas are on the larger side of the normal range -- but not extraordinary.  Should you have gyne surgery in the future, the areolar diameter will shrink in size spontaneously -- roughly 15-20% smaller.

Dr Jacobs

That gives me even more incentive to have surgery. Thanks again for the reply. Cheers.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024