Author Topic: does glandular tissue shrink after removal?  (Read 2924 times)

sandokan

hello everyone. I had gyno surgery this morning, so far so good.
After over 20 yrs i finally decided enough is enough and just wanted these chunks of glandular tissues out of my body.
Anyways, after the surgery i asked the surgeon if i could have a look at the tissue he removed (for some reason i just felt a need to see it)
He didnt have a problem with it. they were inside 2 jars (inside some clear liquid)
I noticed they wernt as big as i thought they would be, the Doc said that the tissue was bigger when removed but shrinks afterwards? how is this possible?
Im not doubting him just curious how it shrinks?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, tissues do shrink a bit when placed in formalin (a preservative) in a jar.

The other thing you may not appreciate, unless you actually watched your own surgery, is that it takes only a small amount of tissue to produce the undesired contours of gynecomastia.  Removing too much, of course, increases the risk of a contour (crater) deformity.  Gyne surgery is artistic -- the surgeon has to know how much tissue to remove and how much to retain.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

sandokan

Thanx for the response Doctor. Yes i was tempted to sneak a peak when he was removing the tissues (but i think nausea would of kicked in lol)
I dont think there was much to take out. My main concern was my puffy nipples caused by the glandular tissue pushing them out. He said my chest was very lean and not much fat there at all (mainly glandular tissue)
thanx again

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
It only takes a little tissue to cause puffy nipples. In someone who is lean, it can be "half a ping-pong ball" in size.  I will typically describe what was removed to my patients using various size balls, starting with a ping-pong ball. It's small, but when engorged on a warm beach, it can cause very puffy nipples.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery