Author Topic: When Is It Acceptable To Decrease Calories Post-Op?  (Read 1786 times)

Offline Earlgrey

Hello Doctors,

Let me start by thanking you for this wonderful resource and taking the time to answer questions and share your knowledge.

I am three weeks post-op for excision and minor liposuction.  I am relatively lean and at a healthy weight according to BMI calculations.  I am carrying a little extra fat than I would prefer, however, and would like to lose 5-15 pounds. 

My first priority is to not jeopardize the healing process.  Keeping that in mind, when would be the earliest post operation you feel it safe to decrease calories 500-1000 below maintenance for diet/fat loss purposes?

Thank you for your time.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There is no exact right or wrong answer since everyone recovers from surgery at a different rate.

In general, one needs adequate protein, vit C and some zinc in order to heal after surgery.  Bear in mind the healing process is lengthy from any surgery, no matter how "minor" it may have been.  The healing progresses under the skin and may be hardly noticeable by the patient.

When to really diet to try to lose additional weight?  In my opinion, not before at least 4-6 weeks after the operation.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I generally recommend that my patients consume a normal diet for about six weeks post-op before initiating any fat cutting efforts.  This is particularly of concern in some of my patients who compete in bodybuilding, where the diets can be a bit extreme.  As Dr. Jacobs mentioned, in addition to maintaining adequate protein intake, Vitamin C and zinc are essential to the healing process, so dieting efforts should not compromise intake of those nutrients. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery