Author Topic: I have it, saw a surgeon...  (Read 2953 times)

Offline racingcivic2003

Hello all, I am 27 years old, 5-7 and weigh around 180 pounds. I have struggled with this condition since my teens and have finally saved enough money to have it taken care of. I have been going to the gym non stop over the past 4 months and have lost some fat and gained around 15 pounds of muscle in my shoulders, arms and thighs (I did no chest exercises). Once I saw no difference in my gynecomastia I meet with a surgeon here in Columbus, he told me I have level II gynecomastia and he would perform liposuction while I am IV sedated.

I am very close to pulling the trigger and setting up the surgery, my questions are should I be having the gland removed also? What chances do I have of it coming back after he does the lipo? Should I get a second opinion to be safe?

Thanks!

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
I'm not a doctor or surgeon, but I'd say there's a high probability that you will need surgical excision of tissue beneath your breasts, and not just liposuction.  Did the surgeon specifically say he would NOT do excision, only lipo?  If that's the case, then I'd say you need to keep looking for a surgeon who performs a LOT of gyne surgeries each year and is open to doing whatever is necessary to correct your gynecomastia.  These boards are full of men who only had lipo and many of them are not happy at all with the results. 

We have had this discussion many times on these boards and even the surgeons here warn to very leery of a surgeon who ONLY does liposuction, with no excision.  The reason to be wary is because no surgeon knows what they are going to find UNTIL they get into the surgery.  If you happen to NEED excision, but your surgeon does not perform it, are you just going to be out of luck? 

Remember, the first surgery is your BEST chance to get the results you want.  You don't want to have to have revision surgery, and besides, it'll just be more money if you do.  Better to get the best surgeon you can find the first time, even if it costs a little more. 

Seek a board certified plastic surgeon who performs a lot of these surgeries each year.  Some surgeons even specialize in correcting gynecomastia.  And before choosing your surgeon, try to visit with 2 or 3 of them, not just one.  Ask to see before/after pictures of their patients and then choose the surgeon that you think exhibits the most skill and the one you have the most confidence in. 

Offline ineedsurgery

• Bronze Member
Why research some more and book with a gyne surgeon that posts on this page. The docs on this site for the most part specialize in this procedure. Do not go to a surgeon n get butchered please I see this all the time on this site

Offline racingcivic2003

The Surgeon is actually a feature doctor on this site. I put down a deposit for the surgery for December and will have a final consult later this month. Is their any other advice anyone wants to throw my way before I see him?

Offline racingcivic2003

Offline racingcivic2003

Surgery is next Tuesday, I will be getting liposuction along with gland excision. Slightly nervous but excited to see the results.

Offline centralmedic05

• Posting Member
How did the surgery go? pics? You and I have a similar body type and size and my suspected gynocomastia looks almost identical to yours.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024