Author Topic: Dr. Fielding Gynecomastia plastic surgeon  (Read 4978 times)

Offline ap123

• Posting Member
Hey guys, I figured I'de post my experience with Dr.Fielding and my case of gynecomastia.

Just a little about myself: I am turning 19 pretty soon and have had gyne for about 4 years. Pretty short kid, about 5'7", 140ish pounds. I am mulato (mixed, black-white) and currently living in Toronto, Ontario. I have always been an athlete, so I have never been out of shape or anything and pretty healthy.

So my story so far: I have not yet had the surgery, I have just gone to the consultation. So I have been reading posts on this site for quite sometime but could never get myself to the point of doing something about my own condition. Nobody has ever seen me with my shirt off since I got gyne. When I first got it though it was a day after I got purple nurpled by a friend in class and it was pretty good, so I figured it was swollen because of that and would go back to normal after a bit but that wasnt the case. Back to the main topic, I called in a couple weeks ago and the secretary seemed a little rude on the phone but kinda changed and got nicer throughout our conversation. Had my appointment booked for December 2nd (yesterday). So yesterday I went (more nervous than when I called lol) and saw a couple other guys my age along with an older man and a woman in the waiting area. This made me feel a little more comfortable with the situation. I filled out some forms and waited to get called which took about 30mins after my scheduled time (which was pretty good). Dr Fielding called my name and showed me to one of his consultation rooms. He asked some brief questions about my age, weight, use of drugs, etc (general health questions) and some more in depth questions about how I felt about having gyne and if I thought losing weight would help at all (which it wouldnt, he confirmed). Then he asked me to take my shirt off and examined my chest and made some measurements. Confirmed that I had a very small case of gynecomastia and that surgery is the only way to fix it and made a joke about him not making as much since there was no excess fat for him to lipo out (he cracked a few jokes throughout the consultation, helped put me at ease). So he then explained what would happen with the surgery and possible results. He verified that it was usually pretty straight forward and that with my case being small with no fat removal, it should be really straight forward. Also said that I would be conscious for the whole procedure, which I would rather have. Asked if I had any questions, and the main one on my mind was the cost. He said it would be fully covered, and brought up how he wasn't making as much money off me, which now made more sense when he joked around about it earlier. I am a student in university and was getting ready to have to blow some school money so this was a lot of weight off my shoulders! Nobody knows that I have this condition, not even my parents so I would have to spend my own money or use my own credit card right noe. So much more happy knowing I don't have to pay a penny, even though I would if i had to, i just want this problem dealt with. After that i scheduled a surgery date with Leslie (secretary lady) for the second week in February, cant wait :)

Just a heads up to others that are like me. Try to overcome that nervousness and inability to make the call. It took me about a week to actually call (when I was sure I was going to book an appointment right away) but I finally did it. And so can you! Others may not be as lucky as me and will have to pay for some of the surgery, but just do it and get it over with. It'll feel alot better.

So I will update on February 15th, or a day or 2 later.
Good luck with all of the others struggling with this piece of S^#t condition.

Take care!

Offline ap123

• Posting Member
And another thing I didn't mention. Dr Fielding said I didn't need the compression vest. I am guessing for smaller cases like mine, the chest doesn't need to be compressed down. Not too sure but I guess I can wear some under armour or tighter shirts for the first little bit just incase. He knows what he's doing though so I should be fine. And if any1 wants to ask me anything about the visit or just in general about me and my condition, feel free to do so.

Regards, abp123

Offline conan

• Posting Member
WOW! the procedure is fully covered, very nice.
I had surgery with Dr.Fielding as well.
I know he charges alot less b/c OHIP covers the hospital stay. So he only charges for the procedure.
Consider yourself lucky :-)

Offline ap123

• Posting Member
Yea I am really lucky. Glad for that! And the reasoning behind it being fully covered is because mines just an excision. He only charges extra for lipo, and lipo isn't covered by OHIP (only the excision is for gland removal). How did your surgery go btw? Liking the results so far?

Offline conan

• Posting Member
How did your surgery go btw? Liking the results so far?

Sorry for taking so long to respond.

The surgery went great. The anesthesia was 'local' which was good. Dr. Fielding is a really cool guy and we had a great conversation while i was being operated on, which made the whole procedure more comfortable.

I had the procedure b/c i had puffy nipples. Im 5'10" 150 lbs (lean and muscular) but no matter how defined i got the puffy nipples were always there (as a result of the glandular tissue underneath them)

I am now 2 month post-op, and my puffy nipples are gone:-) I still have abit of internal scar tissue that has developed under the incision site and under the areola (which is very common) but this is slowly starting to dissapear. You cant even notice the areola incision that was made. The fact that i have hair on my chest makes the scar even less noticable.

I have a 3 month post-op appointment booked with Dr.Fielding just to make sure everything is going smoothly.

So far i am very pleased and cant wait for the summer so i can finally feel comfortable taking my shirt off at the beach/swimming etc.

Good luck with your procedure (you're in good hands with Dr. Fielding).

Offline ap123

• Posting Member
That's okay. And yea I know what you mean. I am not really muscular but I am in good shape. I don't lift weights or anything but i keep myself busy with sports and cardio. I'm roughly the same size as you, your just a little taller and bigger by the sounds of it so I probably have a similar case that you had. Downside with me is I don't have hair on my chest :P, I'm sure it will look good after it heals anyway and since the cut is kind of under the nipple, shadows should help cover it up a fair bit.

Glad your happy with your results. I'm looking forward to joining your happiness when I get this over and done with lol. Haven't went swimming in years because of this.

I would rather be awake too so I'm happy with that and I wouldn't have any1 to pick me up since I haven't told any1 about my puffy nipples and don't want to start now aha.

Thanks for the response and confirming that Dr. Fielding is good at what he does. Good luck with the rest of your recovery!

Offline ap123

• Posting Member
So I have had the surgery a few days ago. Everything went smoothly. I was awake for the whole thing, which made me really nervous before he started but my nerves calmed down pretty quick. Dr.Fielding and the nurse that was helping him were very social which helps you relax more and we all joked around quite a bit which also kept me relaxed throughout the surgery.

So basically, I woke up early in the mourning (mainly because I couldn't sleep) and stayed awake for quite a bit and made myself some breakfast around 8am. I packed some snacks and juice (what Leslie had told me to bring for after the surgery), printed off a map showing me how to get to St.Josephs from downtown (where I am living).  Went to Metro, got some cash back incase worse came to worse and I needed to taxi instead of use ttc. Went to follow the directions I had printed out and realize the streetcar I am supposed to take was taking way too long, then realize there was a notice on a pole saying some crap about that streetcar area is under maintance, just my luck. There was a map there showing where a bus takes you instead and where you get back on the streetcar that you were supposed to use in the first place. So since my surgery was for 10am, I figured I had time I'll walk to where the streetcar runs and get on so that I can walk off some of my nerves and whatnot. So I start walking and a lot of time goes by and I see that I have 30mins left and I am not even close, so I guess worse came to worse lol, flagged down a taxi :P.

Got to St.Josephs, registered and whatnot and was in the waiting room, waiting to be called. I finally get called to walk down the hall and wait in another waiting area that's for minor surgeries. Dr. Fielding walked in and took a sheet I had from registering and left for a brief moment and then a nurse called me into one of the rooms. Dr.Fielding asked me to take my shirt off and made markings on my chest, then had me lay down. He gave me multiple shots of the "freezing stuff" (not sure what its called lol), which weren't exactly pleasant, especially how it was like 4 on each side, but it was bearable. He asked me to tell him when I was numb so I said okay, not really thinking since my nerves were just starting to settle lol. And he replied "just kidding", I looked down and he had already started lmao. So I was said "well I guess Im frozen", jokes began and relaxation also began lol.

Him and the nurse finished up in what felt like around 45mins. Dr.Fielding told me there was a little more than he had expected but its out now. Finished stitching me up and the nurse put some guaze and some sticky cover over top. They let me know that I can remove the guaze and adhesive cover in two days but to leave the stitches and little slip over the stitches alone since they will dissolve into the skin by itself. Also told me I can shower after those 2 days as well. I picked up my prescription of tylenol 2 from across the hall and was on my way.

Took a taxi back from the start, didnt want to go through that bs again ahaha. Got back with extra time before class. Went to class later on and half way through I felt my left nipple starting to hurt, that freezing lasted quite sometime though. So I took a t2 (would have taken too but they make you drowsy and it was the first time taking that so I didn't know how I'de respond lol. By the end of the 3hr class both nipples were really hurting so when I went back I took another t2. I don't think they did much for me because I felt quite a bit of pain for a while and had trouble sleeping. But after day one my chest just felt sore. So 2 days ago I took off the bandage stuff and had my first look at the new nipples. They definately do look flatter but not a whole lot just because it is pretty swollen. But for being day 2 they looked pretty good. Now it is day 4 and the swelling is still at the same level. I figured it'll be about a month before the swelling is gone and scars are the only thing in need of heeling. Right now I can't see the scarring because of the little slip thing over the incision spots.

So thats basically it. Right now i feel good just a little sore, and if I accidently hit my nipple area it really hurts, which is expected anyway. And putting on shirts and stuff, I just feel a little soreness same with if I'm holding something that's like 30pounds for about 15 seconds. But besides those things, everythings really good. Going home for reading week td, so here comes my rest... Or somewhat rest seeing as I have 3 midterms the week we're back!! Fun times  :)

Thanks for reading my somewhat boring story lol. I hate writing and reading so sorry for the bluntness aha. Just wanted to throw my story out there. If any1 has any questions, feel free to ask. I had many questions running through my mind before surrgery  ::),

ap123

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024