Author Topic: 4 weeks after surgery - Numbness and pain question  (Read 10889 times)

Offline opus_dei

• Posting Member
So I removed my compression vest today after 4 weeks. Well, 3 weeks and 5 days to be precise. Sorry doc - I cheated for two days.

Wearing regular clothes - an underarmor and a T-shirt. I can feel numbness around both nipple regions as well as a really mild pain. There is quite the pain still when massaging the region too.

What is others' experience post-surgery? How long did your numbness and pain last for? I'm going to start some jogging and running in two days. Did this help/ harm others?

Offline morpheus11

• Silver Member
i haven't had the surgery yet, but from what i've read on the other posts, some of the guys who had the surgery and worked out a few weeks thereafter, the swelling came back.  i read that they continued to wear the vest overnight to mitigate the swelling. 

anyhow, hopefully others respond. good luck.

**bump**

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
I asked a fellow in a previous post about numbness.  He said he went jogging after the first week or so, and wasn't sure if that had any affect on his healing or not.  As far as how long the numbness lasted, he wasn't really sure.  Seems the sensation comes back so gradually it's hard to notice or pinpoint a time.  For him, he had the surgery 2 years ago and had to feel his nipples to see if the numbness was still there!  He hadn't even thought of it until I asked.  Turns out he still had very mild loss of sensation, but nothing too bad.  I have no idea about the pain though....sorry I don't have any insight on that one.
Shakenbake baby, SHAKE N BAKE!!  Ya, that just happened.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Actual pain is rare but spot tenderness can persist for a while.

Numbness of the skin and nipples is actually quite normal for at least several months after surgery.  The return of sensation has much to do with what was done during surgery and the patient;s natural healing abilities.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline opus_dei

• Posting Member
Thanks Dr. Jacobs. Its not pain per se, and I guess spot tenderness might define it better. When I flex my chest, I can feel slight pain and discomfort around the nipples. And the "pain"/ discomfort feeling around the nipples can be felt when I sleep on my stomach/ chest. I am guessing its normal then.

Offline xelnaga13

I had a bit of numbness left even after 6 weeks. It went away though.

Offline opus_dei

• Posting Member
Thanks for the replies. I guess it depends on the individual patient, the amount of gland removed, liposuction and the patient's recovery time. I guess I should not be concerned much for about a few more weeks with the pain.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024