Author Topic: Puffiness post surgery  (Read 1763 times)

Offline ZackKahn163

• Posting Member
Is it true if your chest was flat day after surgery, that it will return to that after swelling?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Is it true if your chest was flat day after surgery, that it will return to that after swelling?

In general, that is correct.  However, there is a lot of healing that occurs between the day of surgery and the finished result, sometimes about 6 months down the road.  Much of the healing is beyond the control of the surgeon or the patient -- we just have to wait and see.

The most common thing I see is the development of scar tissue just below the areola.  My practice is to inject this with cortisone (ie kenalog) rather than try further surgery to remove it, which would probably result in (you guessed it) more scar tissue.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I agree with Dr. Jacobs.  In most situations, if things look good early on, they will look good later, even if there are transient contour concerns related to swelling that may become apparent during the early post-operative period.  As for the tissue under the areola, I mention this to my patients early on, especially those who use anabolic steroids.  I encourage them to avoid such things post-operatively, but many certainly resume their use, and they will sometimes express concern over recurrence due to the presence of the lump they might feel under the areola.  If the scar tissue is significant, I will inject it with Kenalog, but typically, I like to give at least six months for resolution before injecting. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery